Immig.rm 401 , Notifying Address, Why?

I got a ' thai wife' visa this week, which gives me until Jan 05, WITHOUT having to leave the country, as many people told me I would have to do every 3 months. Also, I had 200,000 b in the bank for only a week. And she noticed that my previous non imm-B visa was a dodgy one from Texas.

I was told that next year I have to show 400,000 baht, and the amount is NOT grandfathered at 200,000 baht. The second year is, however, easier to get and they may accept having less in the bank.

They gave me the forms for registering my address every 90 days.

I asked the woman(rm 401) if I had to do it, and she told me that I didn't, but if I leave the country in the next 9 months I will be fined 4,000 baht(not 2,000).

So when I said that I don't plan to leave the country she shook her head and said mai dtong(no need), so I said my sawadi kraps.

I never went to this room when I worked for a few years here on a w/p. No problems, and I left the country 3 times.

Why would anyone want to start doing this and get into the system??

Is it just to be totally legal, paranoia or what??

Cheers

Mai ra bu cheu :o

I got a ' thai wife' visa this week, which gives me until Jan 05, WITHOUT having to leave the country, as many people told me I would have to do every 3 months. Also, I had 200,000 b in the bank for only a week. And she noticed that my previous non imm-B visa was a dodgy one from Texas.

I was told that next year I have to show 400,000 baht, and the amount is NOT grandfathered at 200,000 baht. The second year is, however, easier to get and they may accept having less in the bank.

They gave me the forms for registering my address every 90 days.

I asked the woman(rm 401) if I had to do it, and she told me that I didn't, but if I leave the country in the next 9 months I will be fined 4,000 baht(not 2,000).

So when I said that I don't plan to leave the country she shook her head and said mai dtong(no need), so I said my sawadi kraps.

I never went to this room when I worked for a few years here on a w/p. No problems, and I left the country 3 times.

Why would anyone want to start doing this and get into the system??

Is it just to be totally legal, paranoia or what??

Cheers

Mai ra bu cheu :o

On an extended visa you must report your address to Immigration every 90 days

if on a one year retirement, what documentation( if any)is required when doing the room 401 90 day report.?????

Normally it is just your passport w/TM6/filled out TM47/receipt from last (if not your first) report. Some seem to have been required to provide proof of address for their first report but this was not the case when I did in Bangkok and not sure if required. If it is you should be able to go downstairs to obtain. Should only take about 5 to 10 minutes but remember they close from 12-1300.

Aren't here too many different things mixed up?

mai_ra_bu_cheu, your visa allows you to stay until Jan 5, 2005. No problem, you can stay. Should you wish to leave the country and return, just get a re-entry permit. Upon return you are still allowed to stay till Jan 5.

If you do not leave, you have to report your address every 90 days while in country.

The regulation exists for a long time, but recently being enforced again. Sure, it is a bit of a hazzle, I by myself do not undnerstand why I should report if nothing is changed. But they want you to do it, so why not? Anyway, with your first report when entering the country you are already in the system.

Working on a tourist visa? You are not even allowed on a business visa, without work permit.

Aren't here too many different things mixed up?

mai_ra_bu_cheu, your visa allows you to stay until Jan 5, 2005. No problem, you can stay. Should you wish to leave the country and return, just get a re-entry permit. Upon return you are still allowed to stay till Jan 5.

If you do not leave, you have to report your address every 90 days while in country.

The regulation exists for a long time, but recently being enforced again. Sure, it is a bit of a hazzle, I by myself do not undnerstand why I should report if nothing is changed. But they want you to do it, so why not? Anyway, with your first report when entering the country you are already in the system.

Working on a tourist visa? You are not even allowed on a business visa, without work permit.

Axel

Thanks for your reply and I realise what you are saying.

Maybe I would be better just doing the reporting thing every 90 days.

I am still confused, however, as to why many people have told me that they do not do it. Maybe they are lying?

I thought I would have heard from others on this board who are not doing it if so many are.

MRBC

Mate think of it like this:

There's things you're supposed to do here (have a WP for work, wear a crash helmet etc.) but they're quite often not overly enforced (as in the 90 day reporting), but you're SUPPOSED to do them, whether you do or not is up to you....is a 4,000 Bah fine worth it for the sake of sending them a letter every 90 days?

So no you don't HAVE to do it (I do though) but you SHOULD do it! Also bear in mind Imm have put a few posts on their websites in regards to this (a rather shitty looking scanned in paper copy doodah!) so they may be getting a bit more serious about it!

Thanks for your reply and I realise what you are saying.

Maybe I would be better just doing the reporting thing every 90 days.

I am still confused, however, as to why many people have told me that they do not do it. Maybe they are lying?

I thought I would have heard from others on this board who are not doing it if so many are.

some aren't lying, it's just they aren't required to...it is only a requirement to report your address if one stays in thailand for over 90 days. many on one year non immigrant visas are leaving for visa runs or holidays which do not require the reporting at all.

others that have one year extensions from thai immigration, not reporting every 90 days , will catch up with them when they go for another extension. you will be required to pay the fine then, and too many stamps in your passport showing these fines is anything but positive.

Look as in many countries you must report and it differs in time. In Thailand after you have form or download from this site you can someone else do or better yet just send in registered if you live a distance from the immigration office.

after making a few telephone calls to my mates, and asking around, I have found out at least 40 guys who have NEVER registered their address. Most of these are on retirement visas, WPs, some on marriage, and some on business visas. They say they have no intentions of doing so either, as it's not good to get into the system.

Is everyone on this board so squeaky clean??? -

Registering their address every 90 days(even heard of a couple of guys who go in person!), not working without a WP, wearing motorcycle helmets, not buying beer after hours, not gambling etc etc???

MRBC

They say they have no intentions of doing so either, as it's not good to get into the system.

MRBC

every foreigner entering Thailand is "in the system" by means of the TM.6 card the moment he/she enters the Kingdom.

if you stay in Thailand for more than 90 days you have to report your current address - even if it has not changed! failure to do so will result in a fine and a stamp in your PP which may eventually make things more difficult regarding new visas or extension of stay applications.

the 90 day reporting is easy, free and can be done by mail!

opalhort