Do you consider Chiang Mai as your permanent home?

cyberfarang

On 2/10/2017 at 5:57 PM, NancyL said:

I'd like to clear up a false report that I will be moving to Kuala Lumpur later this year.  Argh.  No, Hubby and I are planning to continue our retirement in Kota Kinabalu (KK), Sabah state, Borneo.  Use Google to learn more.

It's not a matter of whether you plan to stay in one location forever, but rather what you contribute while you're there.  If you make a place better than when you arrived, then it's home.

Best of luck to you & your husband !

Having read your posts & read of your help towards others over the years it is surely a loss for CM

but a gain for your new  choice of retirement location too I'm sure.

Good Luck !

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also consider Chiang Mai My Home

I have all my belonging here

I have family in England and Australia who i visit Bi Annually

But recently i have had to send money overseas for a friend via CIMB 

I had to supply a address from my country

I did explain i Live Here

My only address is here

On 2/13/2017 at 5:45 PM, cyberfarang said:

I agree 1 billion%. I know of some Farlangs that have been here 30 years or more, can`t speak a word of Thai, have no interest in learning how to speak Thai. They live in their own comfort zones and rarely interact with Thais. Most are here because it`s cheap and remain cocooned in their own worlds. Many will remain in the inner city where they have access to western style restaurants and amenities. These people would never fit in or be able to adapt to living in the rural areas among local village Thai people or if they do will not become a part of the community where they live and most often rarely seen.

'up to them'?  I do speak some Thai (enough to get by in simple conversation) but I actually don't like Thais alot and that stops me from taking Thai lessons seriously. I'm happy to live here and travel extensively around SEA without becoming a boring pseudo-thai who must study hard to become 'one of them'.  

Relax and enjoy I have done over a decade of studying in farang-land and am retired  

Do i give a sharp stick what the Thai people think of me?  Oh, most certainly.

My habit is simply to treat each person with respect and dignity; i smile, wave, wai as often as possible to every  person i meet. I practice the local thought as related to the Buddha, namely: the cultivation, that is the mental growing daily, of these sublime states of mind; Loving Kindness towards all living beings, Compassion, Sympathetic Joy and Equanimity. 

When our moment together ends i would wish the Thai person i just left regards me as a honest and caring fellow soul.  The name he calls me is insignificant.  The adjective attached is highly important: a swell farang.