Drugs Suppression Police - Ganga could be a legal drug in the future

rooster59

Drugs Suppression Police - Ganga could be a legal drug in the future

Y29udGVudHMlMkZmaWxlcyUyRkFtYXJjaCUyRiVFMCVCOCU4MSVFMCVCOCVCOCVFMCVCOCVBMSVFMCVCOCVBMCVFMCVCOCVCMiVFMCVCOCU5RSVFMCVCOCVCMSVFMCVCOCU5OSVFMCVCOCU5OCVFMCVCOSU4QyUyRjU4OWRhZWM2NWMwYTAuanBn.jpg

Image: PPTV Thailand

Representatives of Drugs Suppression Police have indicated at a seminar that both marijuana and krathom could be legal substances in the future.

But even so both are likely to be under the control of physicians.

The suggestion of legalization was made at a seminar held at Thammasat University on Friday, reported PPTV. The seminar was attended by many authorities both in law enforcement and the medical profession.

Many members of the public said that both krathom and marijuana should be removed from the illegal Class 5 drugs list.

Speakers said they were just medicinal plants and not addictive drugs. And it was widely known that they had many uses in medicinal purposes.

Drugs suppression representatives at the seminar indicated that recommendations for krathom leaves to be reclassified had already been submitted to the justice ministry.

But more work and research still needs to be done before a recommendation on behalf of marijuana could be made. But they didn't rule out both drugs being legal in the future.

However, they said that it was likely that if the drugs were removed from the Class 5 list that they would still be controlled substances that could only legally be issued to the public via doctors' prescriptions.

The issue of the reclassification of krathom and ganja has been raised by many concerned groups in Thailand recently with the justice minister himself saying last year that he was in favor of the move.

Source: PPTV Thailand

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-11

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep! Just add a little bit more fire in the already hot and boiling pot. Actually insane!

That´s my opinion, and if possible maybe I can be overlooked by all the people in this forum that are positive to drugs. Just heard the stories before. There is a reason why it´s illigal in most countries.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Yep! Just add a little bit more fire in the already hot and boiling pot. Actually insane!

That´s my opinion, and if possible maybe I can be overlooked by all the people in this forum that are positive to drugs. Just heard the stories before. There is a reason why it´s illigal in most countries.

There is a reason that it is being decriminalized in many more countries than you think.

Yeah, there's a reason all right. In the US it was based on  a moral panic when Mexican immigrants brought with them the custom of smoking cannabis, a substance that had always been legal before in the US and considered a harmless ingredient in various over the counter medications sold in drugstores. Of course when the Mexicans (not to mention "Negroes") became associated with it suddenly it became dangerous and had to be prohibited. It also gave the government a good reason to throw Mexicans and Black people into prison.

The rest of the world followed for the most part making it illegal due to pressure from the US.

So, yes, there's a reason its illegal - racism and the US forcing other countries to adopt stupid policies, back in the days when it had the power to do so.

I actually don't use the stuff myself (well, very rarely), but I think marijuana prohibition policy is ridiculous and outdated. It is now legal in several US states and will probably be so soon across Canada, so Thailand is simply trying to keep up with the times.

Last week went to see Chewit at the FCCT last week re his experience in Thai prison. 80% of men and women there for drug crimes - many minor. They should follow the West and legalize weed for medicinal and recreational. You know they won't but even medicinal use with Dr prescription would be very helpful. 

Can you expand on this reason TODAY so we all can know?  Or are you drunk?  

Wow I just noticed that was post 420 ? for me lol !

If you don't know what 420 is please google it. 

Edited by alex8912

> But more work and research still needs to be done before a recommendation on behalf of marijuana could be made. <

=> That rather translates into >... we haven't found out yet how to quite tax it 'right ...<

Well, just like other legal drugs, alcohol & tobacco, fat coin to be made, no doubt.

Satisfying thing in this case though, they'll never be able to stop people from growing a little on the side, strictly personal use of course, it's even 'easier' than moonlighting alc ... just a tax offence ... 

Btw, pharma companies already started to make fat buck out of it, not talking about medical weed, i mean pills and stuff. 'Dranabiol' i believe it's called, extremely expensive of course compared to the  'organic' variant, hehe ... 

24 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

There is a reason that it is being decriminalized in many more countries than you think.

21 minutes ago, jspill said:

What is that reason why it's illegal pray tell.

4 minutes ago, charmonman said:

Yeah, there's a reason all right. In the US it was based on  a moral panic when Mexican immigrants brought with them the custom of smoking cannabis, a substance that had always been legal before in the US and considered a harmless ingredient in various over the counter medications sold in drugstores. Of course when the Mexicans (not to mention "Negroes") became associated with it suddenly it became dangerous and had to be prohibited. It also gave the government a good reason to throw Mexicans and Black people into prison.

The rest of the world followed for the most part making it illegal due to pressure from the US.

So, yes, there's a reason its illegal - racism and the US forcing other countries to adopt stupid policies, back in the days when it had the power to do so.

I actually don't use the stuff myself (well, very rarely), but I think marijuana prohibition policy is ridiculous and outdated. It is now legal in several US states and will probably be so soon across Canada, so Thailand is simply trying to keep up with the times.

Just now, alex8912 said:

Can you expand on this reason TODAY so we all can know?  Or are you drunk?  

As usual the drug supporters are flocking like teenagers that want to belong to the popular crowd, so I just had to hear the stories once again.

And the answer is always a big NO! Just not going to be a discussion from my side on this. IMO there is already a load of things that are legal drugs. They are already creating enough problem in this world.
I also know that many are going to say that this is not stopped by keeping them illegal. Sure, can be true, but it´s better that they stay that way due to that some people still feel afraid of using them.

That was the end of the story from my part, and as long as nobody has any facts that contradict my statement it´s just going to be useless talks from people that wants to use the things that are considered illegal today, just for getting a small buzz. It´s just time to grow up and live a responsible life.

There's a lot of money to made from ganja.Maybe this is a big reason. Legalise it, tax it and let people enjoy it. If you think ganja is immoral, don't smoke it. Live your life, and enjoy being worm food like the rest of us when you die. 

I'd love to start my own ganja shop, but I feel that if it ever gets legalised here, it will only be CP, etc, who'll be the only 'moral' authorities allowed to produce and sell it. 

Alcohol is a Bigger Danger in Thailand, Look at traffic statistics

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

As usual the drug supporters are flocking like teenagers that want to belong to the popular crowd, so I just had to hear the stories once again.

And the answer is always a big NO! Just not going to be a discussion from my side on this. IMO there is already a load of things that are legal drugs. They are already creating enough problem in this world.
I also know that many are going to say that this is not stopped by keeping them illegal. Sure, can be true, but it´s better that they stay that way due to that some people still feel afraid of using them.

That was the end of the story from my part, and as long as nobody has any facts that contradict my statement it´s just going to be useless talks from people that wants to use the things that are considered illegal today, just for getting a small buzz. It´s just time to grow up and live a responsible life.

You need to Get Real, with your archaic thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

17 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Got it.  You are drunk! 

Risks of marijuana :-

1/ Studies show cannabis use is likely to increase the risk of developing schizophrenia, other psychoses, and social anxiety disorders. It can also raise the risk of depression, studies have found.

2/ Heavy marijuana users are more likely to report thoughts of suicide and heavy use of the drug can worsen symptoms of bipolar disease.

3/ Learning, memory and attention are impaired after using cannabis and there's some evidence that they are damaged even after people stop using it.

4/ Studies have found some evidence cannabis use can raise the risk of unemployment, and users earn less than non-users.

5/ It can impair driving.Use may raise the risk of testicular cancer.

6/ Smoking marijuana may trigger a heart attack.

7/ It can worsen bronchitis and chronic cough.

8/ Babies born to women who smoke marijuana while pregnant can weigh too little.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/report-marijuana-users-risk-schizophrenia-drug-helps-pain-n706196

1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

There's a lot of confusion and misinformation about marijuana legalization and decriminalization. The two concepts are not the same

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/marijuana-legalization-and-decriminalization-overview.html

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Sorry I don't say this often but that statement is totally moronic. You sound as if you are either an ignorant 65 year old or someone who has been living in a cave for most of their life. 

One common occurrence among people such as yourself is to label every substance as 'drugs' - You overlook the fact that you consume drugs probably daily if not then at least often. 

There reason that weed is illegal is due to a variety of complex events in the past. If you did you research and gave yourself some insight as apposed to wilful ignorance, then you may understand the situation at hand. One main reason weed is illegal and has stigma is due to the paper manufacturing industries and tabloids many decades ago. They are scared of hemp taking over their business and thus created such a bad name for cannabis and hemp. 

1 hour ago, jspill said:

What is that reason why it's illegal pray tell.

Meanwhile the government reserves its right to bust everyone caught smoking pot not grown on a state owned farm and purchased without a tax label…

Why Is Marijuana Banned? The Real Reasons Are Worse Than You Think

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-influence/real-reasons-marijuana-is-banned_b_9210248.html

Positive Side :-

1/ You get very laid back, very calm.

2/ Everything gets funnier, you can laugh about the weirdest stuff.

3/ Your senses seem to be sharpend, listening to music or watching a movie becomes a different, somewhat deeper experience.

4/ Food and beverages taste better.

5/ Time flows differently, 5 minutes can feel like hours, hours can feel like seconds.

2 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Risks of marijuana :-

1/ Studies show cannabis use is likely to increase the risk of developing schizophrenia, other psychoses, and social anxiety disorders. It can also raise the risk of depression, studies have found.

2/ Heavy marijuana users are more likely to report thoughts of suicide and heavy use of the drug can worsen symptoms of bipolar disease.

3/ Learning, memory and attention are impaired after using cannabis and there's some evidence that they are damaged even after people stop using it.

4/ Studies have found some evidence cannabis use can raise the risk of unemployment, and users earn less than non-users.

5/ It can impair driving.Use may raise the risk of testicular cancer.

6/ Smoking marijuana may trigger a heart attack.

7/ It can worsen bronchitis and chronic cough.

8/ Babies born to women who smoke marijuana while pregnant can weigh too little.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/report-marijuana-users-risk-schizophrenia-drug-helps-pain-n706196

Yes, drugs kill, but, making them illegal does not prevent people from using. The war on drugs just increases the cost for society. Legalize and tax to fund harm reduction programs. This is the pragmatic way.

4 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Positive Side :-

1/ You get very laid back, very calm.

2/ Everything gets funnier, you can laugh about the weirdest stuff.

3/ Your senses seem to be sharpend, listening to music or watching a movie becomes a different, somewhat deeper experience.

4/ Food and beverages taste better.

5/ Time flows differently, 5 minutes can feel like hours, hours can feel like seconds.

And psychological issues that you have supressed can come to the surface, for good or bad.

Edited by hobz

"be legal" - has many interpretations. - for example -  Decriminalised, allowed for medical purposes, freely available.

To single out just one drug does not really indicate a full appreciate of the recreational drug use situation and the pleas for medical marijuana seem largely to be based on emotional rather than scientific principles.

Basically we should be reviewing the whole basis of drug control....it doesn't take much to see the effects of military backed prohibition on a world wide scale has bee nothing more than an unmitigated disaster. but so long as those who erroneously have been put in charge keep their jobs, the situation will not improve.

follw the science and sociology and forget the enforcers ad the problem will reduce dramatically in a VERY short period of time.

32 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Your entire argument consists of insulting people who disagree with you and calling for them to present facts when you have none of your own to present. 

You said there was a reason it was illegal without saying what is was. I filled in the blank - moral panic, racism, and US pressure on other governments. This is all well documented, all you have to do is spend a little time with google and you find plenty of reliable sources to inform yourself.

Why don't you make like your forum handle and "get real"?