“Double” pricing – you know it’s time for action when the Thais start to complain

Inspire

2 hours ago, sead said:

I am one of those sensitive to dual pricing. Theres so many places i would like to go, but unfortunately i wont support discriminating dual pricing. It doesnt matter where or what country. Its a choice ive made

Agree, if people want to pay more then give tips of 1,000% more.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The worst I was ever offended was when I went to the war cemetery at Kanchanaburi where my grandfather rests.  We were approached by a gardener who demanded 200 baht from me to enter, my wife was free.  The cemetery is fully funded and maintained by the Australian War Graves Commission.  I was offended that I had to pay to visit a relative and it seemed that thais were making money off those that lost their lives.  I later contacted the war graves commission and was told there were no fees for anyone thai or otherwise.

The worst I was ever offended was when I went to the war cemetery at Kanchanaburi where my grandfather rests.  We were approached by a gardener who demanded 200 baht from me to enter, my wife was free.  The cemetery is fully funded and maintained by the Australian War Graves Commission.  I was offended that I had to pay to visit a relative and it seemed that thais were making money off those that lost their lives.  I later contacted the war graves commission and was told there were no fees for anyone thai or otherwise.

A nice little earner for the little thieving sh#t.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I came here, Thailand, in 1976 and went one day to the Crocodile Farm in Samut Prakan.

You know what? There already was double pricing there, Thai GF Bht 80-? and for me Bht 300- which was an outrageous price for that time, it was 1976.

I got in a verbal fight with the ticket seller who threatened me with calling the police.

The owner was a Thai/Chinese and arrived in his Mercedes and would'nt listen to any of my complaints, pay up or leave.

Later I got in the same verbal fight with the ticket seller at Mini Siam who actually called the police so I took a runner.

It is no use to protest so I just don't go to any of these rip off places anymore, most of them are not worth to visit and pay money for.

There are hundreds of these rip off stories, of some you have to laugh and of some you have to cry.

Oh well.

18 hours ago, smotherb said:

I would not lump dual pricing with alcohol restrictions. The alcohol restrictions for the most part are deference to the religion; while dual pricing is simply a way to make more money off the foreigners

In my experience there are very few who adhere strictly to the teachings of the religion.

19 hours ago, smotherb said:

I would not lump dual pricing with alcohol restrictions. The alcohol restrictions for the most part are deference to the religion; while dual pricing is simply a way to make more money off the foreigners

We differ in how we look at things. My point is that all of these actions, including those around alcohol are accepted as normal behaviour and in my view largely because the ruling classes say it should be so. It could be argued that dual pricing helps maintain the rich / poor gap.

1 hour ago, hugh2121 said:

In my experience there are very few who adhere strictly to the teachings of the religion.

Well, perhaps you need to deal with a better class of Thais. However, strictly adhering to Buddhist teachings is not the point; it is a state-sponsored religious acknowledgement to not sell alcohol on certain Buddhist holidays. Don't know where you call home, but in the States it is quite common for alcohol sales to be outlawed all day or during some hours on Sundays in some states and in some counties. That sure doesn't mean all the citizens of that state or county strictly adhere to the teachings of their religions. 

42 minutes ago, alant said:

We differ in how we look at things. My point is that all of these actions, including those around alcohol are accepted as normal behaviour and in my view largely because the ruling classes say it should be so. It could be argued that dual pricing helps maintain the rich / poor gap.

Ah, yes, the bans on alcohol sales are accepted as normal behavior because they are a tradition manifested in laws. As I mentioned in another post to hugh2121, it is common in the states to have counties and entire states ban alcohol sales on Sundays. The UK used to have some pretty restrictive laws on alcohol sales too; still have some, don't they?

Dual pricing is a way of making more money off the farang. The rich or politically connected can make such a rule for national venues, but the poor cannot; they can only charge the farang more for their meager businesses. 

However, the ban of alcohol sales on religious holidays is not a way to make more money out of the farang and is not beneficial to the ones who own places which sell alcohol.

33 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Well, perhaps you need to deal with a better class of Thais. However, strictly adhering to Buddhist teachings is not the point; it is a state-sponsored religious acknowledgement to not sell alcohol on certain Buddhist holidays. Don't know where you call home, but in the States it is quite common for alcohol sales to be outlawed all day or during some hours on Sundays in some states and in some counties. That sure doesn't mean all the citizens of that state or county strictly adhere to the teachings of their religions. 

Better class? You mean the rich who break every Thai law and Buddhist precepts, then become a monk for a few weeks to absolve themselves? 

Just now, chrissables said:

Better class? You mean the rich who break every Thai law and Buddhist precepts, then become a monk for a few weeks to absolve themselves? 

No, I am referring to the majority of Thais who are somewhat religious and living by their own means rather than depending upon the farangs. Rich always people have it better because they can influence the government officials, but that is really the case everywhere, isn't it?  It's just that in the more developed countries, you need to be a lot richer to have the same influence.

Why is it reasonable for foreigners to pay more?

I live in Sattahip and most of my students tell me the family has 2 sometimes 3 cars and me an old battered 1995 Mitsubishi - so why should I pay more when these rich Thais pay a pittance

JGV

I recall the outrage when a Thai sitting in a restaurant in Soho was given a menu with For Thais on the top and it was more expensive than the usual menu - the outrage was by the Thai

Just now, JGV said:

Why is it reasonable for foreigners to pay more?

I live in Sattahip and most of my students tell me the family has 2 sometimes 3 cars and me an old battered 1995 Mitsubishi - so why should I pay more when these rich Thais pay a pittance

JGV

I recall the outrage when a Thai sitting in a restaurant in Soho was given a menu with For Thais on the top and it was more expensive than the usual menu - the outrage was by the Thai

Let's get this straight, are you talking about Soho in Farangland?

16 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I read it but as it's an Inspire work of fiction designed to stimulate the usual which it has done. I took the figures and there facts on tourists with a pinch of salt.

Hard to believe you agree with double pricing and x10 overcharge so I will take everything you say with a pinch of salt. I guess you live in the uk and just come here for a holiday and don't have to put with dual pricing and the everchanging visa rules. You are so out of touch and kilter with what's going on here.

23 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

"foreign residents of the kingdom who are fleeced along with the tourists."

Not fleeced at all get facts correct before printing. 

Charged for entry should be correct term used.

I think "fleeced" is too polite for use in this context.  I suggest "robbed" or "defrauded" would be more honest - especially at establishments where the proprietors (or state authorities) are so dishonest as to put charges for Thai citizens in Thai script in the hope that foreign residents or tourists will remain ignorant of the extent of their venal, larcenous intent. The action demonstrates an official view that theft is OK as long as you're not caught.  And people marvel at the extent of corruption in the society.  Examples of official endorsement of corruption are everywhere in the community.

To all you submissive creatures who get their jollies by the Thais trampling them under their feet, I tell you right here, right now to keep it to yourselves.  If your sick twisted and perverted enjoyment involves Thais showing dominance over you, then I suggest you pay for it.  Others like me, who have self-respect will not pay for it and will reject it on logic and principal.  

Most of us don't look at those who will try to shame us into overpaying, with any respect at all.  To the contrary, we pity you.  

6 hours ago, sandemara said:

I think "fleeced" is too polite for use in this context.  I suggest "robbed" or "defrauded" would be more honest - especially at establishments where the proprietors (or state authorities) are so dishonest as to put charges for Thai citizens in Thai script in the hope that foreign residents or tourists will remain ignorant of the extent of their venal, larcenous intent. The action demonstrates an official view that theft is OK as long as you're not caught.  And people marvel at the extent of corruption in the society.  Examples of official endorsement of corruption are everywhere in the community.

If your that bothered learn to read Thai.

On 13/02/2017 at 10:22 AM, smotherb said:

Your reference to america is irrelevant. Adhering to Buddhist teachings is the WHOLE point of a Buddhist holiday.

40 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

Your reference to america is irrelevant. Adhering to Buddhist teachings is the WHOLE point of a Buddhist holiday.

You said, " In my experience there are very few who adhere strictly to the teachings of the religion. "

Now you've changed your position and say adhering to Buddhist teachings is the whole point.

The Buddhist traditions are not just for those who adhere strictly to the religion. All peoples are expected to honor the traditions as law.

Additionally, my example was pertinent in that it showed other places where religious traditions limit alcohol sales and apply to all whether you strictly adhere to that religion's teachings or not..

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

You said, " In my experience there are very few who adhere strictly to the teachings of the religion. "

Now you've changed your position and say adhering to Buddhist teachings is the whole point.

The Buddhist traditions are not just for those who adhere strictly to the religion. All peoples are expected to honor the traditions as law.

Additionally, my example was pertinent in that it showed other places where religious traditions limit alcohol sales and apply to all whether you strictly adhere to that religion's teachings or not..

My position is unchanged.

For those who cannot understand: Adhering to Buddhist teachings is the whole point of Buddhist holidays BUT there are very few who adhere strictly to the religion. For examples refer to the many examples on TV.

On 2/12/2017 at 4:50 PM, bangkokbanjo said:

Im in krabi right now. Ao nang beach. Did the tour of the islands and had to pay the farang fees off 400 one day and 300 the next. I was planning on relaxing on phoda island but the 400baht fee plus 300 on boat each way turned me off. Decided to just chill on the beach of ao nang i stead and use the pool in the hotel. It definitely is true that its way too much. Cambodia is the better deal now. Im wondering if you have a thai Id card that u might be able to get the thai rate

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I've gone from the Thai driving license, then the yellow house book, and recently a Thai ID card.  Four days ago I tried to enter Kao Yai National Park and was told none of these costly ID's were any use.  Even if I held a Thai work permit my fee would be 400 baht.   I was not impressed.  Ended up travelling around Khao Yai probably wasting more gas.... but I refuse to get screwed by these people if I can avoid it.

10 minutes ago, ragpicker said:

I've gone from the Thai driving license, then the yellow house book, and recently a Thai ID card.  Four days ago I tried to enter Kao Yai National Park and was told none of these costly ID's were any use.  Even if I held a Thai work permit my fee would be 400 baht.   I was not impressed.  Ended up travelling around Khao Yai probably wasting more gas.... but I refuse to get screwed by these people if I can avoid it.

Costly Id's? Please explain. So rather than pay 400 bht about £8 English you would rather drive around wasting more gas so you don't get screwed !! Logic gone out of the window there.

Edited by Deepinthailand