New Zealand aircraft maker aims to ride Thai skydiving tourism boom

webfact

New Zealand aircraft maker aims to ride Thai skydiving tourism boom
By THE NATION

7af1b16507768a95aad1a1c753e85f8b.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- NEW ZEALAND-BASED Pacific Aerospace has entered the Thai aviation market by delivering its first aircraft to Freefall Thailand to cash in on the boom in skydiving tourism.

Mark Crouch, general manager for global markets, said yesterdaythat the sale to the Thai operator, whose pilots and engineers trained on the P-750 in New Zealand and spent a day with veteran company Skydive Taupo, is another measure of Pacific Aerospace’s growing success in the skydive market. 

“It’s also a reflection of the striking growth of the skydiving market globally, particularly tourist tandem skydiving. 

“All of our sales have been going to drop zones for tandem jumps. Most major tourist areas now have drop zones or will have soon,” he said.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30306286

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-14

A sky dive tourism boom in ?

Is that like the other booming tourism?

My best friend was a skydiver.

He died at 42 base jumping in canada.

It was like a drug.he needed more and more. He was very good at sky diving and parapanting and base jumping.

But he is dead now .

I dont think its a great idea to have a sky die boom .

Skydiving in Thailand...????...Is this a joke?....Jetskis , tourboats, bungy jumping, scuba and snorkeling...goes on and on and continues to get hit with endless accidents because of negligence, and unknowledged people running these businesses...not to mention, It's never anyone's fault or responsibility here...I can just see it now...sky diver dies because some moron forgot to pack the chute....Whoops!  Mai pen rai!...and of course the tourist will be blamed and fined

The most dangerous part of skydiving is the drive to the drop zone.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

This is true, driving to any drop zone in the world, the most dangerous part is the actual drive.
Skydiving is a safe sport, actual equipment malfunction is very very rare. Any tandem master will check his kit and will normally pack his own rig, his life depends on this procedure as much as his passenger.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

2 hours ago, Lingba said:

Skydiving in Thailand...????...Is this a joke?....Jetskis , tourboats, bungy jumping, scuba and snorkeling...goes on and on and continues to get hit with endless accidents because of negligence, and unknowledged people running these businesses...not to mention, It's never anyone's fault or responsibility here...I can just see it now...sky diver dies because some moron forgot to pack the chute....Whoops!  Mai pen rai!...and of course the tourist will be blamed and fined

In Australia's SAS the parachute packers had to jump with the men whose chutes they packed and the packer had his chute selected for him by another soldier - it  kept their mind focused on the job. Might be the way to go in Thailand.

I would never in a million years trust a Thai company to operate either this aircraft properly, nor to provide the correct and well maintained equipment necessary for this sport. With the nearly total lack of consumer safety, and the extreme apathy on the part of the government, one would have to be quite a daredevil to skydive in Thailand. Unless you used all of your own equipment. That increases your chances of survival a bit. 

Having  done my 3 jumps many years ago (1 water jump) I gotta say a lotta fun if careful.

Carry small reserve chute just in case. 

We  are talking about jumping from a plane not Base jumping.

These planes are very safe in the hands of competent people.

If it can be run by Kiwis then it should be a success.

The red tape will more  than likely kill the idea as Thai airspace really does not want bodies flying through the air

4 hours ago, Saan said:

In Australia's SAS the parachute packers had to jump with the men whose chutes they packed and the packer had his chute selected for him by another soldier - it  kept their mind focused on the job. Might be the way to go in Thailand.

Sounds reasonable...but given Thailands reputation for wanting to do everything on their own...as well as outright owning and running their operation...greed gets in the way of logic, any reasonable thinking and most of all safety...

They don't have the mindset to consider crosschecking all possible potential problems...Their only concern is making money regardless of what could happen

10 hours ago, quadperfect said:

A sky dive tourism boom in ?

Is that like the other booming tourism?

My best friend was a skydiver.

He died at 42 base jumping in canada.

It was like a drug.he needed more and more. He was very good at sky diving and parapanting and base jumping.

But he is dead now .

I dont think its a great idea to have a sky die boom .

Tandem Sky Diving is safe enough that I'd do it.

Base jumping is something completely different, and not something I'd do because it is far riskier.

Having said that, I don't think it's a great idea to have a "sky die boom" either.

But if Thais are doing anything other than selling tickets, I'd give this a wide berth.

:smile:

15 hours ago, Lingba said:

It will be "He was having such a good time he forgot to open his chute"  Yes he will be fined of everything in his wallet.

Thai's and skydiving is not a good mix, no attention to detail, very lazy, and they will not keep good stats on failed jumps because they would loss business. government oversight would be lax to non existent. good luck if you jump here in Thailand. i use to jump with the Canadian national team in gananoque canada.