Russian jets in 'unsafe' encounters with destroyer - U.S. official

webfact

Russian jets in 'unsafe' encounters with destroyer - U.S. official

REUTERS

r3.jpg

U.S. Navy guided-missile destroyer USS Porter sails in the Bosphorus, on its way to the Mediterranean Sea, in Istanbul, Turkey, February 11, 2017. REUTERS/Murad Sezer

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Multiple Russian military aircraft came close to a U.S. Navy destroyer in the Black Sea on Feb. 10, incidents considered "unsafe and unprofessional," a U.S. official said on Tuesday.

The Russian Defense Ministry said no such incidents had occurred.

"There were no incidents of any kind on Feb. 10, related to flights by Russian military jets in the Black Sea near the U.S. Navy destroyer Porter," Russian news agencies cited a spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry, Major-General Igor Konashenkov, as saying.

But Captain Danny Hernandez, a spokesman for U.S. European Command, cited three separate incidents involving Russian aircraft and the USS Porter. One involved two Russian Su-24 jets, another a separate Su-24, and the third a larger IL-38.

"USS Porter queried all aircraft and received no response," Hernandez said. "Such incidents are concerning because they can result in accident or miscalculation," he added.

The incidents involving the Su-24 were considered to be unsafe and unprofessional by the commanding officer of the Porter because of their high speed and low altitude, while the IL-38 flew at an unusually low altitude, Hernandez said.

Another U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the lone Su-24 came within 200 yards (metres) of the Porter at an altitude of 300 feet (90 metres).

In April 2016 two Russian warplanes flew simulated attack passes near a U.S. guided missile destroyer in the Baltic Sea so close that they created wake in the water.

(Reporting by Idrees Ali in Washington and Jack Stubbs in Moscow; Editing by James Dalgleish)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-15

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Well, 3 more wasted opportunities for the Trump administration to show that the USA will no longer be bullied.

I'm sorry, I can't find the US cost along the Black Sea, can you show me where it is?

This is not Russia bullying US this is US bullying Russia. As long as US are going to places they have no reason to be there will be encounters like this, how would US react if Russia would hold naval exercises with the Cuban navy, lets say about 100 KM from New York just like US had naval exercises less than 100 km from Kaliningrad 2016 or placing strategic missiles on Cuba like US placed strategic missiles in Poland (they call it missile defense system but they use the same launch system as for Tomahawks and it can be fitted with Tomahawks in just a few hours!?!?)?

^^ Fair enough but how about Russian planes buzzing UK or French airspace, etc etc? Sooner or later, there'll be a mishap and one of their birds will come down. Moscow will throw its toys out of the pram blaming all n sundry and they will get a well deserved som nam na. A bunch of kids.

11 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

I'm sorry, I can't find the US cost along the Black Sea, can you show me where it is?

This is not Russia bullying US this is US bullying Russia. As long as US are going to places they have no reason to be there will be encounters like this, how would US react if Russia would hold naval exercises with the Cuban navy, lets say about 100 KM from New York just like US had naval exercises less than 100 km from Kaliningrad 2016 or placing strategic missiles on Cuba like US placed strategic missiles in Poland (they call it missile defense system but they use the same launch system as for Tomahawks and it can be fitted with Tomahawks in just a few hours!?!?)?

Ummm....perhaps some research on the Black Sea would be good.  The Black Sea is international waters and surrounded by a number of countries, not just Russia.  Looking at a map will tell you this.

The US bullying Russia?  Really? LOL  There are dozens of articles about this for incursions by the Russian navy into various countries territorial waters.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/britain-struggling-confront-rising-russian-submarine-incursions-uk-waters-experts-warn/

Britain struggling to confront rising Russian submarine incursions, experts warn

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/britain-struggling-confront-rising-russian-submarine-incursions-uk-waters-experts-warn/
Britain struggling to confront rising Russian submarine incursions, experts warn

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/britain-struggling-confront-rising-russian-submarine-incursions-uk-waters-experts-warn/

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/722566/Russian-warships-heading-British-waters-aircraft-carrier-submarine

BRITAIN ON ALERT: Navy prepares to scramble as Russian nuclear battleship heads TOWARDS UK

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/russian-spy-ship-patrolling-off-u-s-east-coast/

Russian spy ship patrolling off U.S. East Coast

turkey...they really spanked russia when they smoked a russian jet as it cut thru turkish airspace after repeated warnings. It's gonna happen again, UK, France USA , one day soon will plunk another putin plane one outta the sky!

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

bullied by a military a tiny fraction of its size? americas military might is massive. 

And yet the right wing called for military action when Iran did something similar to us warships in the Persian Gulf. Trump supporters seem remarkably reluctant to call upon the President to take decisive action.  

Lord, grow a spine.  The New Gen Navy: "Whine, whine whine."  This was SOP for both sides during the Cold War.  And considering the frosty relationships at the moment..... Same, same. Not different. 

10 hours ago, bangkok101 said:

turkey...they really spanked russia when they smoked a russian jet as it cut thru turkish airspace

Yes and then done a complete U turn and apologised--stating it would never happen again.

"I want to once again express my sympathy and deep condolences to the family of the Russian pilot who died and I say: 'I'm sorry, "  Erdogan the leader of Turkey wrote in a letter to Russia.

And

Days after taking office last month, Turkey's new Prime Minister

Binali Yildirim - a close Erdogan ally - said Turkey needed to

"increase its friends and decrease its enemies",

in what appeared a tacit admission that his

predecessor's policies had left the NATO member sidelined.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-turkey