Video: Nasty scam targeting old pick-ups caught on tape

webfact

5 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Appreciated, but this won't be any good for rear of pickup.

It works perfectly well in my pickup,mount behind the mirror with the rear facing left side camera just clearing the left edge of the mirror which will align it almost centrally with a clear view of the road through the rear screen. The front wide angle camera will then be dead centre . It's designed to work just like that and it does.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Can you read plates etc behind you?

I've been using it on a two weeks tour from which I've just returned so haven't yet been able connect it up to my computer to see the playback on a larger screen,only playback via the split two inch screen inbuilt which is a bit small. From the reviews I read (perhaps try googling reviews of nextbase Duo) and that it is 720pHD zoom lens that is the idea. Quite often the c***s are following so close their number is hidden anyway!

I have a USB stick full of idiot clips that I play on a full sized telly when necessary. I find the mic useful re spoken VRNs in real time by me & wife as we can't always read them on our current cam although it does show GPS and speed.

Their current models are much better...

http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/

Edited by evadgib
Roadhawk link added

23 hours ago, smotherb said:

And, why an old pick-up?

Yes, I can only think that many old pick ups are not insured so the driver might pay up without wanting to involve insurance companies or police. Also if the cars scrape him surely he is entitled to  ask the scammers to pay for damage to his vehicle; however old.

3 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Yes, I can only think that many old pick ups are not insured so the driver might pay up without wanting to involve insurance companies or police. Also if the cars scrape him surely he is entitled to  ask the scammers to pay for damage to his vehicle; however old.

Yeah, you are the third to offer a similar observation; however, I doubt drivers of old pick-ups have much money on them.

11 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Do they have stickers like "Dashcam in the car, bugger off you <deleted>"? Got the cam but would like that too.

You could print your own stickers in English and Thai but advertising that you have a dashcam installed could make your vehicle a target for thieves after the dashcam, even if you remove it when you get out of the vehicle.

4 hours ago, evadgib said:

I have a USB stick full of idiot clips that I play on a full sized telly when necessary.

Me too. I've thought about making a compilation, sort of "The best of Somchai on the road". Too lazy to do it though, it's certainly not the lack of raw material.

How exactly does the scam get paid off? They both demand 8000 baht. But a guy driving an old pickup truck is just never going to be able to open his wallet and fork out 16000 baht. Second, how are they sure there is less than 8000 baht of damage to each vehicle? Repairs could run higher due to that type of contact.

I do think the pickup driver made an unnecessarily aggressive move switching lanes to get out of the pinch which is exactly what they were banking on to make him feel guilty. I was taught in driving school to never pull back over after a pass until you can see both headlights of the car you passed safely behind you in your rear view mirror. If I saw the guy I just went around flooring it to keep the distance closed and straddling the lane halfway I doubt I would swerve out of the passing lane and try to close the door on him but understand many would feel justified doing so. Better to stay squarely in lane and maintain a constant speed than stooping down to the level of idiot drivers and taking a risk.

On 2/15/2017 at 0:52 PM, worgeordie said:

Surely this does not make sense,they damage 2 cars by squeezing

a pickup,then demand 8,000 for damage,it would cost more to have

the cars repaired ?,so unless the cars are stolen,this crime will not pay.

regards worgeordie

They don't repair the cars. They just keep beating them up. They could also be stolen, but that's risky in the event the truck calls the police. 

15 hours ago, SABloke said:

So is that 2 cams or does the front one have a rear facing camera (like a phone) which films through the car out the back windscreen? I ask because I often feel that most of the danger coming for me is from behind (not in a Patpong kinda way though) it's a rear view mirror that comes with a camera pointing forward and a separate camera for the rear view both record on a 5 minute loop   the rear camera come on when backing up I hooked the rear power wire to the backup light so in reverse the rear camera turns into the main camera   but both record all of the time.