Open a second savings account in Bangkok Bank

I have a Visa Be1st debit card from Bangkok Bank with a savings account that I can withdraw money from. As I have started to save money every month, I would like to transfer my savings into another account, preferably on the same card. This account would be separated so I won't be able to withdraw any money from it. I don't care about rates etc. and just want a separate account which makes it easier for me to save. The alternative would be to save it all in cash in my mattress which I try to avoid. :)

Does anyone have experience if it is possible to do so? 

Here's why it becomes a bit tricky:

My university provided the card and the account to me together with my Swedish passport as I am a student here. Although, now I have received a Thai passport (I'm half Thai) and I've entered the country with my Thai passport. I do not yet have a Thai ID number which makes it very complicated to manage bank accounts etc. Do you guys think it would have any impact on me opening another savings account at my current Visa Be1st card?

You will not be able to link the the debit card from your current account to the second account you open.    The debit card can only be linked to the account the card is issued against.  

Now sure, you can use the debit card to do transfers at an ATM, but that is transfers to any bank account...not just account you own....transfer fees will probably be involved. 

Not uncommon for folks to open a second account and "not" have a debit card issued with it....this way you don't have to worry about your debit card getting comprised and used to drain the account.

I have two Bangkok Bank savings accounts to hold the bulk of my "day-to-day" living m oney....one account with debit card issued against it and one account with no debit card.   Both earn the standard interest of around 0.5%,   I keep the bulk of my day-to-day living funds in the account with no debit card and a small amount in the other account with debit card.   That account with debit card is the account I use predominately to get cash from an ATM, pay bills via ibanking from, etc.  And when this account starts running low I use ibanking to transfer funds from the no-debit card account to the account....the transfers are free and immediate.   The only real reason I use the two accounts this way is "not for savings purposes" but to provide myself some extra debit card comprise protection.

If you want a second account for "savings" you can really use any bank...just look for the one with the highest savings rates and other features you want.

In 21 years here, I have lived in five different provinces ,and  worked in a sixth. I can think of at least three instances when I had active accounts at two different branches of the same bank. Only once was I asked why I had  two accounts . This was when I went in to replace an expired debit card. I told the clerk I spent 80 % of the time in one province, and 20 % in the other. This satisfied her.

22 hours ago, Pib said:

Not uncommon for folks to open a second account and "not" have a debit card issued with it....this way you don't have to worry about your debit card getting comprised and used to drain the account.

This is probably the wisest choice. I will go to my bank next week and try to open a new account that is not linked to a debit card. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

What would be the problem for you to get a Thai ID card?

One never stops learning.

You really have a Thai passport with the "Identification No." field empty?

I need to get myself into my family's house book and my parents needs to be here in Thailand and personally accompany me when I'm doing it.

That's what I got! :)

Archived