Ex-US serviceman found dead in room surrounded by cash and valuables

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Plenty of people enjoy true love here.  

If someone doesn't its probably something to do with their choice of partner, rather than the fault of the country.

in my short time so far perusing TVF, the consistently rampant amount of vitriolic and wholly unfounded (and, frankly, downright racist) Thai-bashing is galling...

---and i would bet that 95% of the habitual Thai-bashers don't speak more than a couple of words of Thai and have taken up with bargirls and/or other opportunistic bottom-feeders that one can find anywhere in the world -that only seem to be more prevalent here because of concentration and proximity;

ALL of you who regularly bash this country and its citizens should <deleted> or GTFO- the Thai people AND those of us foreigners who came here  not as neo-colonialists but rather to immerse ourselves in the culture and language and AUTHENTIC experience neither need you nor want you here...

that said, RIP sir...

regardless of the circumstances, 71 is still too young to depart this mortal coil

Sounds natural for a change.... 

one account to maintain his retirement visa requirement fund 

one account as a common usage account

loose cash to spend day to day.

sealed envelope for emergencies

foreigne currency left over from traveling.

he may also have online accounts that the BiB don't know about

just my thoughts, as I have all of the above ( minus the sealed envelope)

"clutching the air con remote".... hopefully not a harbinger of setting off on a journey to a hotter place

News? On a slow news day. EX US serviceman ?? This might shock people here but there was a time when a requirement of citizenship was serving in the US Army. Not all did BUT It was a citizen army, not a volunteer army. And he is old enough to be from those times, wonders never cease.

I think you're the one in need of shock therapy... When was military service EVER a reqt for citizenship in this man's country? (Psssst.... Never!). Lunacy at work. Even when there was a Draft, loss of citizenship was never imposed for refusal to serve. What you're babbling about was the OPPORTUNITY. to acquire citizenship following honorable military service. But there've always been other paths to immigration and citizenship.

57 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

in my short time so far perusing TVF, the consistently rampant amount of vitriolic and wholly unfounded (and, frankly, downright racist) Thai-bashing is galling...

---and i would bet that 95% of the habitual Thai-bashers don't speak more than a couple of words of Thai and have taken up with bargirls and/or other opportunistic bottom-feeders that one can find anywhere in the world -that only seem to be more prevalent here because of concentration and proximity;

ALL of you who regularly bash this country and its citizens should <deleted> or GTFO- the Thai people AND those of us foreigners who came here  not as neo-colonialists but rather to immerse ourselves in the culture and language and AUTHENTIC experience neither need you nor want you here...

that said, RIP sir...

regardless of the circumstances, 71 is still too young to depart this mortal coil

You could have used a vitriolic Thai bashing post to bounce off ( there's rarely a shortage), although I see Sean didn't mind.

I really don't get why every single penny gets mentioned. Having money is just as important as having a toothbrush, soap and other necessities we need in our daily lives. They have gone a bit overboard in laying out his entire financial situation to the whole world. Respecting people's privacy, dead or alive should have been the way to go.

They hope to contact his relatives. Very respectful in allowing the media to publicly reveal his name before any relatives have been notified. Classy move!

Social Media is the fastest way. I don't see why it matters they will be shocked by whatever means it's relayed

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, farcanell said:

You could have used a vitriolic Thai bashing post to bounce off ( there's rarely a shortage), although I see Sean didn't mind.

Jenifer, well said. But we know, don't we, that online forums of any sort are likely to attract cynics and wise asses and a few trolls and a few biting flies buzzing around looking for blood. I have put myself into that better category you describe, and have met many similar folks who feel as you do, who seem to be the majority of expats living here. I'm still learning my way around. Remember that happy people enjoying life here or anywhere else  have little or no time to play on forums, so the angry brats and cynics will vastly outnumber the positive folks. People are human and basically the same inside, there's no reason to make broad prejudiced and stereotyped generalizations about Thai people. Such remarks reveal more about the speaker than anyone else, mostly their ignorance and lack of understanding. That said, there's nothing wrong with a barbed commentary here and there if there is a point to be made, and there's nothing wrong with making a moral stand on something like corruption, but this forum gets to sounding like a south park cartoon or the old men in the balcony in the Sesame St. show

7 minutes ago, BangkapiPete said:

People like you certainly does make foreigners consider leaving your country, not necessarily to go home, but maybe somewhere else where they get a little more respect whilst spending their money. Where would your 3rd world country be if every foreigner that wishes to express an opinion had to leave? If I was you I would seriously consider removing your comment as it was obviously posted when your insecurity was at an all time high. 

I agree with you Pete, but the guy is "thinking" with his emotions and not his mind, as such I would regard him as emotionally disabled and leave him be. That's not advice to you, it's just the way I regard commenters and others who shoot from the emotional hip. They see things in child like terms and react accordingly. 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Oh get over yourself. This is Thailand and the world of instant media news after all.

RIP

Personally I would like some respect to be paid when I die, not a lot to ask? Guess you like to see dead bodies with gruesome fatal injuries plastered all over the "instant media" as well!

Would you be happy for your family to read about your demise on the internet, surely be more respectful to inform them first! personal preference in the "instant media" age I guess!

I'm sure my family would rather be informed about my death rather than reading about it on the internet!

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Jenifer, well said. But we know, don't we, that online forums of any sort are likely to attract cynics and wise asses and a few trolls and a few biting flies buzzing around looking for blood. I have put myself into that better category you describe, and have met many similar folks who feel as you do, who seem to be the majority of expats living here. I'm still learning my way around. Remember that happy people enjoying life here or anywhere else  have little or no time to play on forums, so the angry brats and cynics will vastly outnumber the positive folks. People are human and basically the same inside, there's no reason to make broad prejudiced and stereotyped generalizations about Thai people. Such remarks reveal more about the speaker than anyone else, mostly their ignorance and lack of understanding. That said, there's nothing wrong with a barbed commentary here and there if there is a point to be made, and there's nothing wrong with making a moral stand on something like corruption, but this forum gets to sounding like a south park cartoon or the old men in the balcony in the Sesame St. show

Are you just randomly bouncing off posts, or trying to make a point that might or might not apply to me?

or perhaps just having some more fun critising others, per post 43.... don't be confused.... I don't really care.... just curious 

35 minutes ago, farcanell said:
1 hour ago, jenifer d said:

that said, RIP sir...

:-)  No I didn't mind at all.   I agree with Jenifer.

Whilst there are plenty of good people on these forums, there are also a whole bunch of dreadfully miserable people.   

It would be interesting to see members locations so we had an idea if the Thai/Thailand bashers are predominantly those living here or chaps who are posting from outside Thailand. 

Most of the negativity expressed around here seems to stem from long standing 'opinions' that are I suspect mostly based on hearsay.    All too often I see rants about things where the poster clearly hasn't had first hand experience, but is spouting 'facts' based in reading the same nonsense time and time again on here.   

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Personally I would like some respect to be paid when I die, not a lot to ask? Guess you like to see dead bodies with gruesome fatal injuries plastered all over the "instant media" as well!

Would you be happy for your family to read about your demise on the internet, surely be more respectful to inform them first! personal preference in the "instant media" age I guess!

Shallowness, humanity numbed by the endless barrage of tabloid media,  admitting as much, justifying itself by its own nature. 

2 minutes ago, seancbk said:

:-)  No I didn't mind at all.   I agree with Jenifer.

Whilst there are plenty of good people on these forums, there are also a whole bunch of dreadfully miserable people.   

It would be interesting to see members locations so we had an idea if the Thai/Thailand bashers are predominantly those living here or chaps who are posting from outside Thailand. 

Most of the negativity expressed around here seems to stem from long standing 'opinions' that are I suspect mostly based on hearsay.    All too often I see rants about things where the poster clearly hasn't had first hand experience, but is spouting 'facts' based in reading the same nonsense time and time again on here.   

100% agree... especially about the location bit.

I want to add that I have encountered some serious problems here in Thai,  and as to what people say, naysayers, alarmists, and wiseasses, nothing has been further from the truth. I have found nothing to criticize in my actual experiences with police, banks, people, and other institutions, rather, I have found compassion and respect alongside  of the Thai way of "doing things", and can attest that similar scenarios in the USA would certainly have been unpleasant and perhaps life threatening under the current US social climate. And mentioning the way things work here, some of those posting here very likely have caused themselves problems here simply by way of pig headedness and ignorance of the culture, and like to retaliate rather than accept personal responsibility

8 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

R.I.P.

Sad to see his life ended. 80,000 Baht is almost $2300 a month.

I am sure he lived like a king for this money in Thailand, I am not sure why it is not enough in US for a retired life ?

Actually for a very simple life, and to interact with normal people, we don't need lot of money. We need true love and friendship.

$1,400 for Obama care, Minimum $900-$1,000 for rent Plus utilities and food.... can't do it! (In America)

5 hours ago, fish monger said:

Perhaps the most ridiculous argument response "you can always go home"...Is that the best you can offer...? The guy made a serious and valid statement and I am sure many others here would agree with him. Why must you be so invidious.......You might wish to Google that, since you like to read so much. RIP to the gentleman that passed. And thank you for your service, sir.

What a rude, insulting post! Many here agree with me it seems. 

So many Thai-haters here make these forums painful to read. 

"Thank you for your service", only a Yank would say that.

1 minute ago, ThaiCitizen said:

What a rude, insulting post! Many here agree with me it seems. 

So many Thai-haters here make these forums painful to read. 

"Thank you for your service", only a Yank would say that.

Maybe you should "GO" then, don't read things you can't handle. You started the insults.

1 hour ago, TerrylSky said:

Strange story; how and why did he die? That's the question.

Why strange ?

Maybe this picture could end all speculations that it was not a suicide?  

This is the brown envelope posted in Thai media. I would also call this a farewell note. 

Lxq.jpg

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

Poor is because had to depart from all his money, and lost means that it might have been the only way out or that still the soul is restless for not solving the case if there is one to solve.
Mass grave of farangs simply points to all that comes here and die or get killed.

However, just didn´t think you would get it. Never mind. Cheers!

What is there to get? All ridiculous...

1. Everyone leaves behind their money when they die.

2. There is no indication or implication of foul play.

3. Mass graves means many people were buried in the same pit... but if you want to use it metaphorically, I guess every country has expats that go there and will eventually die there... think of the millions of Thai scattered about the globe - more than 100,000 in Los Angeles. Will they end up in metaphorical mass graves too?

11 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

What is there to get? All ridiculous...

1. Everyone leaves behind their money when they die.

2. There is no indication or implication of foul play.

3. Mass graves means many people were buried in the same pit... but if you want to use it metaphorically, I guess every country has expats that go there and will eventually die there... think of the millions of Thai scattered about the globe - more than 100,000 in Los Angeles. Will they end up in metaphorical mass graves too?

Matbe my comment has to do with that you don´t see Thai people same much in the news in LA, like you do here. Yoiu also don´t see Thai people coming to LA or any other city or country and just sit in bars drinking beers talking to other of the same version of unhealty human beings. However that might have nothing to do with this mans death, but it can relate to sarcasm and metaphorical statements that might be more irght than wrong.

4 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Matbe my comment has to do with that you don´t see Thai people same much in the news in LA, like you do here. Yoiu also don´t see Thai people coming to LA or any other city or country and just sit in bars drinking beers talking to other of the same version of unhealty human beings. However that might have nothing to do with this mans death, but it can relate to sarcasm and metaphorical statements that might be more irght than wrong.

This is really a ramble - I cannot make any sense of what you are trying to say... good luck to you and watch out for the hangover in the morning. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

Why strange ?

Maybe this picture could end all speculations that it was not a suicide?  

This is the brown envelope posted in Thai media. I would also call this a farewell note. 

Lxq.jpg

The envelope is dated June 2016, so certainly not a farewell note, just a man who planned for the future.

Archived