Anti-Trump energy flags during a second day of protests

rooster59

Anti-Trump energy flags during a second day of protests

By Gina Cherelus and Olga Grigoryants

640x640 (4).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump walks with his grandchildren Arabella and Joseph to Marine One upon his departure from the White House in Washington, U.S., February 17, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

NEW YORK/LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A second consecutive day of protests against U.S. President Donald Trump's month-old administration appeared to lose momentum on Friday, with rallies in Chicago, Los Angeles and New York attracting small yet enthusiastic crowds.

Activists had called for a "general strike" a day after thousands of immigrants across the United States stayed home from work and school during "A Day Without Immigrants" to highlight the contributions of foreign-born workers to the American economy.

Strike4Democracy, one of the groups organising Friday's strike, said more than 100 public protests were expected around the country.

In New York, more than 16,000 people responded to a Facebook page set up for a rally at Washington Square Park in Manhattan, but fewer than 200 protesters were at the park an hour after the posted start time.

Crystal Thornebrooke, one of the organizers, said the event was intended to spark discussions about how activists can make progress in fighting Trump's agenda.

"Introducing ourselves to people, hearing people, hearing their concerns with our administration and then build from there - this is the preliminary stages of organisation," she said.

In downtown Los Angeles, a rally at the Regent Theater drew about 60 demonstrators, waving signs and chanting, "Fight ignorance, not immigrants."

"I have friends and family members who are undocumented immigrants, and I'm scared for them to be deported," said Priscilla Alburquenque, a 20-year-old college student.

Some protesters said Thursday's walkout may have sapped some of the energy for Friday's action.

"The immigration event yesterday was a big event, but not everyone can be at them all," said Joe Balkis, a retired United Parcel Service worker who was one of approximately 75 protesters at Daley Plaza in Chicago.

Trump has vowed to crack down on illegal immigration and signed an executive order, which was put on hold by federal courts, restricting entry from seven Muslim-majority countries. Those policies, along with a series of federal raids last week, have alarmed immigrant rights' groups.

Strike4Democracy urged Americans to stay away from work, donate their lunch money to a worthy cause and contact congressional representatives about the strike.

Since his Jan. 20 inauguration, Trump has faced a steady stream of protests and marches, highlighted by mass rallies focussed on women's rights that drew millions of people around the globe on the day after he was sworn in.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-18

22 minutes ago, MisterTee said:

A Day Without Immigrants/Strike4Democracy was a manifest failure.

Why not just admit that obvious fact instead of trying to spin it?

I don't see any spin.  This is what's great about the US (and other democratic nations).  Public protests like this are OK and actually healthy.  It's all part of being democratic.

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I don't see any spin.  This is what's great about the US (and other democratic nations).  Public protests like this are OK and actually healthy.  It's all part of being democratic.

The attempt to use a strike by immigrants to disrupt the country was a conspicuous failure.

That should be clear to anybody.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Activists had called for a "general strike" a day after thousands of immigrants across the United States stayed home from work and school during "A Day Without Immigrants" to highlight the contributions of foreign-born workers to the American economy.

Wouldn't mind seeing "A lifetime without (illegal) Immigrants"

Lefties twist everything so it looks like mr trump is anti immigrant….he's against unlawful immigration

Just now, JHolmesJr said:

Wouldn't mind seeing "A lifetime without (illegal) Immigrants"

Lefties twist everything so it looks like mr trump is anti immigrant….he's against unlawful immigration

Don't blame "lefties" for this.  Trump's first attempt at a ban was an absolute failure.  And so far, he's done nothing to deal with  unlawful immigration.

Most Americans are against unlawful immigration.  But it has to be done properly, and legally.

It amazes me the arquements people use to defend  illegal immigrants. From what I can see as a non American is that all illegals do is use and abuse privilege well in their host country.

The cheap day labour hired in Walmart parking lots work for tax free dollars,thus contributing nothing well undercutting American labour that would be taxed labour. They spend their tax free dollars on items purchased in backstreets from pickups,vans etc that sell stolen items. The stolen items are in all likelyhood stolen by illegals..

Looks to me like all illegals do is use and abuse.If Americans had any pride they would organize neighbourhood report illegals gruops. The only problem with that would be that the people in those neighbourhood repoort groups would probably be threatened,attacked and their families would live in fear of illegal,s hurting them.The illegals probably would use violence to stop anything that could affect them.

Edited by lovelomsak

36 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

It amazes me the arquements people use to defend  illegal immigrants. From what I can see as a non American is that all illegals do is use and abuse privilege well in their host country.

The cheap day labour hired in Walmart parking lots work for tax free dollars,thus contributing nothing well undercutting American labour that would be taxed labour. They spend their tax free dollars on items purchased in backstreets from pickups,vans etc that sell stolen items. The stolen items are in all likelyhood stolen by illegals..

Looks to me like all illegals do is use and abuse.If Americans had any pride they would organize neighbourhood report illegals gruops. The only problem with that would be that the people in those neighbourhood repoort groups would probably be threatened,attacked and their families would live in fear of illegal,s hurting them.The illegals probably would use violence to stop anything that could affect them.

Your thoughts regarding illegal immigrants are a bit off.  There are no easy answers here.  Many illegal immigrants pay into social security, for example, but can't collect.  A net gain to the US of some 16 billion per year.  They also don't have access to many services that US citizens have.  There are costs for sure, but the studies are all over the map as to what they are.

They don't buy items purchased in backstreet.  They buy from stores that pay taxes on what's purchased.  And many of them actually have college degrees.  Not all are uneducated.  No easy answers here.  Some good articles to read about this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/magazine/do-illegal-immigrants-actually-hurt-the-us-economy.html

Nearly all economists, of all political persuasions, agree that immigrants — those here legally or not — benefit the overall economy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/17/illegal-immigration-econonomics_n_6700148.html

5 Theories About The Economic Effects Of Illegal Immigration You Shouldn’t Trust

The consensus among economists is that immigration — both legal and illegal — has an overall positive effect on the U.S. economy.

Here’s five talking points about the economics of illegal immigration you should view with a healthy dose of suspicion:

Myth

Undocumented immigrants don’t pay taxes.

Like I stated already it never ceases me how people can argue  in support of illegals. Any hillbilly from Oaklahoma could  do the work they do for cheap. Americans can lift things carry things and sweep floors. This work being done by illegals can be done by any healthy person. Get rid of them and employers would be forced to hire Americans to do work in their own country..Or would doing the right thing cut into profits of the greedy employer.

9 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Like I stated already it never ceases me how people can argue  in support of illegals. Any hillbilly from Oaklahoma could  do the work they do for cheap. Americans can lift things carry things and sweep floors. This work being done by illegals can be done by any healthy person. Get rid of them and employers would be forced to hire Americans to do work in their own country..Or would doing the right thing cut into profits of the greedy employer.

You hit the nail on the head.  Any hillbilly from Oaklahoma could do the work they do for cheap.  But here's the rub.  They won't.  Do you think you'd ever see one of them sweating in an agricultural field in the hot sun?  Never ever happen.  They can make more money living off government subsidies.

Again, you have no idea of what it's like in the US with regards to illegal immigration.  Reform is needed, but for different reasons.

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Applauding these protesters for demonstrating American values is a nice gesture and I don't disagree with the sentiment, but it's a misguided distraction. 

I consider this state of affairs analogous with a small child in a supermarket cart throwing a tantrum to get that colorful box of Fruity Pebbles. Because the kid has been conditioned - tantrums, tears and guilt trips work.

The exasperated Mom with lots of problems and stress on her plate will give in to prevent the tantrum, or to make it stop so people quit staring at her.  But she knows deep down that Fruity Pebbles have no long-term nutritional value and contribute to unhealthy lifestyle later on.   And that screwing up the courage to reset the bar is very difficult and moreover, will require ongoing, consistent discipline to maintain. 

Doing the right thing in the face of adversity, is never easy. 

Edited by 55Jay

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Don't blame "lefties" for this.  Trump's first attempt at a ban was an absolute failure.  And so far, he's done nothing to deal with  unlawful immigration.

Most Americans are against unlawful immigration.  But it has to be done properly, and legally.

Things should of course be done legally and following correct procedures even when dealing with criminals.

But for some local governments and authorities to declare that they will provide sanctuary for illegal immigrants, people who chose to break the law and become a criminal, is disgraceful. They are sending a message out that ignoring and breaking laws you don't happen to like, or selectively enforcing and respecting those laws is o k.

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Things should of course be done legally and following correct procedures even when dealing with criminals.

But for some local governments and authorities to declare that they will provide sanctuary for illegal immigrants, people who chose to break the law and become a criminal, is disgraceful. They are sending a message out that ignoring and breaking laws you don't happen to like, or selectively enforcing and respecting those laws is o k.

Understand, but also some of the immigrants are escaping persecution and problems in their home country.  The US is a nation of immigrants.  Lady Liberty was put in that harbor for a reason.

Immigration, if properly handled, is good for the US.  Fantastic, actually.

9 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Understand, but also some of the immigrants are escaping persecution and problems in their home country.  The US is a nation of immigrants.  Lady Liberty was put in that harbor for a reason.

Agree immigration built the US (and cemented the fate of the indigenous American peoples who never got much say in the policies).

But if people are persecuted or have problems and wish to emigrate to the US, or request asylum, then there are procedures. Becoming an illegal immigrant crosses the line and makes the person a criminal.

Emigrating to another country, if handled properly, doesn't cause future problems. Illegally entering, possible using trafficker gangs and smugglers may well.

17 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Why do some people keep saying the obvious. We all understand the reasoning behind immigration,that is not the issue. So why go on about it. The issue is illegal immigrants. There is vast difference between legal and illegal.   I feel most people embrace legals and want them to prosper in a country that supports all legal citizens to have a rich and full life. Where as illegals are illegal and should go back home and show some backbone and work to make change for the better. Or go through the legal process to immigrate.

Just got this Trump quote from his trip to boeing plant pretty well says what must be done. By the way many of the Americans that may get work came as legal immigrants 

"This is our mantra: buy American, and hire American."

Edited by lovelomsak

32 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

"This is our mantra: buy American, and hire American."

Trump doesn't even follow that mantra.  He's used foreign labor a lot and his stuff is made in China!  Sure got the wool pulled over many people's eyes.  LOL

16 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Trump doesn't even follow that mantra.  He's used foreign labor a lot and his stuff is made in China!  Sure got the wool pulled over many people's eyes.  LOL

Perhaps he is not talking about the past. Maybe he referring the direction America shall take from here forward.Every one has past. Some learn from.their past

Edited by lovelomsak

4 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Perhaps he is not talking about the past. Maybe he referring the direction America shall take from here forward.Every one has past. Some learn from.their past

We live in a global society with a global economy.  Jobs are being lost more to automation than being sent overseas.  A majority of those jobs that have gone overseas will never come back.  Impossible.

Maybe Trump should have a new logo for his hat? 

"Make America Great Again.  Stop Automation." LOL

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

You hit the nail on the head.  Any hillbilly from Oaklahoma could do the work they do for cheap.  But here's the rub.  They won't.  Do you think you'd ever see one of them sweating in an agricultural field in the hot sun?  Never ever happen.  They can make more money living off government subsidies.

Again, you have no idea of what it's like in the US with regards to illegal immigration.  Reform is needed, but for different reasons.

Where exactly is that Oaklahoma place?  Is that some suburb across the bay from San Francisco? Or maybe they changed the spelling after my departure so I couldn't find my way back home.

Who are the hillbillies now?

*grin*

47 minutes ago, klikster said:

Where exactly is that Oaklahoma place?  Is that some suburb across the bay from San Francisco? Or maybe they changed the spelling after my departure so I couldn't find my way back home.

Who are the hillbillies now?

*grin*

LOL.  My father was born in OK and I still have many relatives there. "Hillbillies" live everywhere, in almost every country in the world.

19 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

The reality is the Americans will never do the shitty work that the illegals do. Go there and you can see for yourself. Lived in CA 50 years and know reality. You somehow are not at all aware.