Overstayed by 24 hours - need I worry?

Hi members and admins,

I very recently stayed in Thailand for 30 nights. I got a much better rate on the room for 30 nights. The problem was, that 30 nights turned out to be 31 calendar days. The entry stamp in my passport said I had to leave on or before the 26th January 2017 but my return flight was the 27th. I didn't notice and neither did the immigration officer as I had already filled out the departure date on the arrival/departure card.

when i was going back through immigration on my return, they very briefly took me to one side and stamped my passport with a box which he initialed and wrote 24 hours in the box. I am planning to come back for 3 weeks in May and then I want to come back to live later on in the year.

Do I need to worry about this stamp. There was no fine or anything and the officer said there was nothing to worry about. Its just the thought of being turned away after flying all the way over, isn't very appealing.

Constructive advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

ritchy

Nothing to worry about. I believe you received an overstay stamp, which noted that it was within 24 hours.

There is a 24 hour amnesty for fines for overstaying due to many people miscalculating the 30 day stay/return flight date. Day 1 of the 30 is always the day you arrive even if it's one minute before midnight.

The overstay stamp shouldn't cause you any problems in the future.

Many Thanks for the reassuring advice fellas.

I want to bring my girlfriend over to the UK for a 2 months until I have settled my affairs here and move over permanently.

I have heard that it is No easy task... ! to get get a visitor visa for her.  

Certainly no plans for getting married in the near future but I can't afford to be paying out THB 30K to an agency either.

This could not be more genuine and I am pretty good at this sort of thing. I did my own legal work the last time I bought a property instead of paying a solicitor. It is her application at the end of the day and I can assemble the paperwork for her etc. but it would be interesting to hear of your opinions and more importantly lessons learned and pointers for a sucessful visa application for us.

ritchy

If it was only 1 day and you're already out of Thailand it's to late now and 1 day shouldn't effect you whenever you decide to come back to Thailand, I think you said May.  I'm not sure what the fine might or will be but a 1 day overstay isn't the end of the world I think they're looking for the people who overstay like more than 90 days or something I'm not sure.  You ought to come back in mid April for the 3 day Sangkron festival it's a blast.  I believe this year it's April 12th through the 14th but I'd look it up to be sure.  

You should be fine when coming back to Thailand you might get questioned but I don't know.  If you really want to be sure the guy you should ask on here is a guy who goes by the screen name Ubonjoe he knows everything about these things.  

I wouldn't worry about it but if I were you I'd be extra careful to make sure that doesn't happen again.  From what I understand if you had been caught before you got back to the airport you could have been in a lot of trouble but I don't know what the rules are about a 1 day overstay just be more careful next time about your return flight.  Honestly I don't want to know what could happen that's why I'm always extra careful to make sure my visa is extended as early as possible.  If there's anyone in Thailand I don't want to mess with it's immigration, that's just because I like living here.  

19 hours ago, elviajero said:

Nothing to worry about. I believe you received an overstay stamp, which noted that it was within 24 hours.

There is a 24 hour amnesty for fines for overstaying due to many people miscalculating the 30 day stay/return flight date. Day 1 of the 30 is always the day you arrive even if it's one minute before midnight.

The overstay stamp shouldn't cause you any problems in the future.

This is not actually true, it only happens at Swampy, regional airports will charge you 500 baht and stamp your passport with a box showing the fine imposed, they also give you a receipt for the fine imposed

Edited by muffy653

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

The UK authorities will place a lot of emphasis on whether your girlfriend has a clear reason to return to Thailand at the end of her visit. If she owns property in Thailand, ensure this is noted in the application. If she has a good job, a letter from her employer to note that she is taking a leave of absence, but will return to the job later will carry a lot of weight. If she has significant funds in her own name at the bank, include her bank statements.

Absent the above, there may be problems. Worst case, prepare a letter and documentation that shows your close relationship, your own financial security, and your intention to settle in Thailand as you have indicated. Showing a close relationship can be done using photographs and letters/emails over an extended period.

The officials have a lot of leeway in who they approve. If your girlfriend makes a good impression, that may be just as important as the provided documentation. Good luck!

I would like to second all this with one small exception.  It might actually be NOT in your favour for  a VISIT visa for you, as sponsor, to show you are Daddy Warbucks.  I was actually un-employed when my (then girlfriend) wife got her visit visa.  One quick look at our finances would have clearly shown "Ok, enough for the planned trip, but there's no way she can stay here with THAT loser!"

A friend of mine was knocked back at the same because they thought his girlfriend would have had more reason to stay than to return - him being loaded. 

I also have never used an agent and have got each of the three visas, I've applied for, 2 of those times whilst unemployed! 

Best of luck with your applications

1 hour ago, muffy653 said:

This is not actually true, it only happens at Swampy, regional airports will charge you 500 baht and stamp your passport with a box showing the fine imposed, they also give you a receipt for the fine imposed

Everything I have written is true and was specifically in reply to the OP who I assume exited via one of the Bangkok airports.

You, however, are wrong as the amnesty applies at Don Muang too.

You are correct about the regional airports although I'm not sure about Phuket.

Since you were unhappy with the I/O's official statement that you had nothing to worry about I will give you the one you must be seeking.  You are in big trouble!  Burn your passport and change your identity and invest in a good disguise before attempting a re-entry to Thailand.  There has been a big crackdown on problems that only exist in your mind.