Why are toilet doors (and other doors) opened inwards in Thailand

hobz

16 hours ago, phuketjock said:

I would be interested to know how a single cold water tap could be connected

up the wrong way?

99.9% of Thai households only have cold water taps.

Guess he means that taps in Thailand sometimes open when turned to the right side. In the west they ALWAYS open when turned to the left.

In my bedroom we have many ceiling spotlights, but the switches don't correspond with the lights...the left switch controls the spots at the righthand side of the room.

It's the same with some doorlocks who have to be turned clockwise to open, i've never seen that in the West. 

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Guess he means that taps in Thailand sometimes open when turned to the right side. In the west they ALWAYS open when turned to the left.

In my bedroom we have many ceiling spotlights, but the switches don't correspond with the lights...the left switch controls the spots at the righthand side of the room.

It's the same with some doorlocks who have to be turned clockwise to open, i've never seen that in the West. 

Sorry fruitman I have never seen a tap anywhere that does not open anti-clockwise and close clockwise,

and that has nothing to do with how the tap is connected???

For your lights if the switches are together just transpose the wires simple.

Depends which side of the door you are on. If the door knob on the outside is on the left and opens by turning clockwise then the inside knob will open counter clockwise.
But don't worry. Your padded cell won't have a handle on the inside.

1 hour ago, phuketjock said:

Sorry fruitman I have never seen a tap anywhere that does not open anti-clockwise and close clockwise,

Well Jock than you haven't seen it all in Thailand. In our condo the watertap worked that way. Also the doorlock worked the wrong side around which gave me many problems when we just moved in so i had to go ask for help to open my own door.

2 minutes ago, agudbuk said:

Depends which side of the door you are on. If the door knob on the outside is on the left and opens by turning clockwise then the inside knob will open counter clockwise.
But don't worry. Your padded cell won't have a handle on the inside.

555555 great post, made me laugh!

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

Well Jock than you haven't seen it all in Thailand. In our condo the watertap worked that way. Also the doorlock worked the wrong side around which gave me many problems when we just moved in so i had to go ask for help to open my own door.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...............:crazy:

3 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

There are also countries in the West who do it that way, you can't get a big shock off it anyway.

you could if you touched a metal part of a light fitting when changing a bulb.

Switched neutral sounds too stupid to me. Better ask crossy.

Edited by grollies

It all comes down to planning, if you lay out the doors to open in against a wall you will be happy if not, duh. This requires laying out the toilet, sink, and counter ahead of time also. Since there is little planning in Thailand, just open doors out I guess.

4 hours ago, grollies said:

you could if you touched a metal part of a light fitting when changing a bulb.

Switched neutral sounds too stupid to me. Better ask crossy.

You never, ever (ever) switch the neutral unless it's a double pole switch and you switch the live as well.

OK, there are certain (very special) cases where a neutral switch is permitted, I'll let others define what they are (coz, I can't think of any right now, just covering my bases).

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

Well fruitman I have been to a few countries around the world and have yet to come across this phenomenon

but it still does not have anything to do with how the tap is connected???

On 07/03/2017 at 5:53 PM, fruitman said:

Why are ALL lights in my new house connected the wrong way?? They are constant under current while in the west the current goes through the switch....not the null-wire like in Thailand. And my house is built 5 years ago by a huge developer.

The Thai just do something and if no good they say mai pen lai.

you'd better call an electrician. see crossy's post above.

anyway, how did you find out?

Edited by grollies

46 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Well fruitman I have been to a few countries around the world and have yet to come across this phenomenon

but it still does not have anything to do with how the tap is connected???

Sure, those are the double kitchentaps for hot and cold...you can put the one for hot on the other side and it opens the other way around. The valves are screwed into the the unit at both sides and if you do it wrong they turn the other way to open.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Sure, those are the double kitchentaps for hot and cold...you can put the one for hot on the other side and it opens the other way around. The valves are screwed into the the unit at both sides and if you do it wrong they turn the other way to open.

What are you talking about???

How many kitchens in Thailand have you seen with mixer taps?

Even if you connect the hot to the cold and the cold to the hot the taps still open and close the same way,

what planet do you come from?            :cheesy:

15 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

What are you talking about???

How many kitchens in Thailand have you seen with mixer taps?

Even if you connect the hot to the cold and the cold to the hot the taps still open and close the same way,

what planet do you come from?            :cheesy:

The whole condominium with about 200 condo's had those taps...but it also works for a single tap...if you buy the red valve for  hot water and screw it into the housing for the blue valve it turns the wrong way.

It seems this story goes above your hat sir.....I'm talking 'bout these things....they are different for blue and red.

12496_k_ve10724_2.jpg

On 13/03/2017 at 9:43 PM, fruitman said:

The whole condominium with about 200 condo's had those taps...but it also works for a single tap...if you buy the red valve for  hot water and screw it into the housing for the blue valve it turns the wrong way.

It seems this story goes above your hat sir.....I'm talking 'bout these things....they are different for blue and red.

12496_k_ve10724_2.jpg

Can you please tell me if we are still in Thailand or not because I have never seen a condo in Thailand

with hot/cold mixer taps in the kitchen???

But I am open to hearing of one?

8 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Can you please tell me if we are still in Thailand or not because I have never seen a condo in Thailand

with hot/cold mixer taps in the kitchen???

But I am open to hearing of one?

Yes i lived in a condo with mixer taps. A hi-so condo it was, very nice....all teakwood furniture.

But as i wrote also single coldwatertaps can have these valves, brands like Grohe use them.

Just go to Homepro and they have loads of those taps, mixers or single taps.

They even sell the Grohe set temperature automatic mixer taps...cost around 30k baht or so.

Edited by fruitman

15 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes i lived in a condo with mixer taps. A hi-so condo it was, very nice....all teakwood furniture.

But as i wrote also single coldwatertaps can have these valves, brands like Grohe use them.

Just go to Homepro and they have loads of those taps, mixers or single taps.

They even sell the Grohe set temperature automatic mixer taps...cost around 30k baht or so.

Planet Zod then..................30k for a tap in Thailand dream on and you still have not confirmed we are actually talking about Kitchen taps IN Thailand, your original claim??

Edited by phuketjock

16 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Never heard of that planet but mixer taps and valvetaps are very common in BKK. All the qualitybrands from Europe are being sold here.

Haha That's because it doesn't exist get it?

You have still failed to confirm you are talking about KITCHEN taps IN Thailand??

Are you actually even in Thailand?

55 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Haha That's because it doesn't exist get it?

You have still failed to confirm you are talking about KITCHEN taps IN Thailand??

Are you actually even in Thailand?

Do you even know what Homepro is?

Mate i'm done with this subject.

8 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Do you even know what Homepro is?

Mate i'm done with this subject.

Homepro, homeworks, Thai watsadu know them all very well I have renovated

over 7 condos here in Thailand, but I have never fitted mixer taps in any of them.

You are still avoiding the question. Are you actually in Thailand? And are we talking

about KITCHEN mixer taps which was your original claim???

Grollies you are correct but the op is not about electrics either..... 

11 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

over 7 condos here in Thailand, but I have never fitted mixer taps in any of them.

You are still avoiding the question. Are you actually in Thailand? And are we talking

My house has mixer taps in both bathrooms and the kitchen, I doubt my landlord imported them.

Edited by Don Mega

11 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

I didn't claim they were kitchen mixers but yes they also sometimes work the wrong way in thailand..

And what difference does it make if i tell i live in BKK??

On 2/19/2017 at 0:41 PM, Swiss1960 said:

Why do they drive on the left side in Thailand, UK, Australia and some other strange places?

It's a carryover from Roman times - it kept the sword hand free for oncoming chariots, most people being right-handed.

Driving on the right-hand side evolved from large farm wagons.When passing, the driver want to make sure his wheels would be clear of the oncoming wagon.American cars are still true to that principle.