Why are toilet doors (and other doors) opened inwards in Thailand

hobz

3 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

that's for Wheelchair users?  who would believe toilet doors would get us all going?  lol

And it is a reason decent people design their places so they can be used.....or do you  believe wheelchair users do not like to visit as others do?

the principle is the same.....small spaces need the door to open out or slide so that access is not obstructed.  Kicking the door in does not work if someone is collapsed against it.  Those minutes could save a life.

Many building codes now require it.  Once they did not but times are changing.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, harrry said:

And it is a reason decent people design their places so they can be used.....or do you  believe wheelchair users do not like to visit as others do?

the principle is the same.....small spaces need the door to open out or slide so that access is not obstructed.  Kicking the door in does not work if someone is collapsed against it.  Those minutes could save a life.

Many building codes now require it.  Once they did not but times are changing.

Countries would require their building codes followed than some article written by the UN.

For instance in Australia;

"Australian building law requires that in an emergency, the toilet door can be removed by someone on the outside. For example, in most cases, toilet doors must open outwards, slide, or be readily removable from the outside of the compartment. This requirement only applies if the space between the toilet pan and the door is less than 1200mm.

An inward swinging toilet door with lift-off hinges will typically have a gap between the top of the door and the under side of the head of the door frame. This is to allow sufficient movement upward so the pin in the door hinges can slip out of the hinge-blades screwed to the side of the door frame or style.

A suitable door latch should allow the door to be lifted upward and away even if it is in a locked position."

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Countries would require their building codes followed than some article written by the UN.

For instance in Australia;

"Australian building law requires that in an emergency, the toilet door can be removed by someone on the outside. For example, in most cases, toilet doors must open outwards, slide, or be readily removable from the outside of the compartment. This requirement only applies if the space between the toilet pan and the door is less than 1200mm.

An inward swinging toilet door with lift-off hinges will typically have a gap between the top of the door and the under side of the head of the door frame. This is to allow sufficient movement upward so the pin in the door hinges can slip out of the hinge-blades screwed to the side of the door frame or style.

A suitable door latch should allow the door to be lifted upward and away even if it is in a locked position."

I will agree with that....

note....the inward door they are talking about has to have the correct hinges and space at the top to lift it off them and the special locks.  Are these the doors most people here are talking about?

In some China cities which I visited on business  regularly in the 1990's, public toilets were a long cement block with a main entrance door.    There were half wall cubicles along each wall, with NO DOORS.    You squat, read the newspaper, contemplate the ceiling or whatever else you do

Because the left is correct as derived from the days of horseback travel. Right hand drivers just blindly followed the US like sheep. Something like 2.5 billion drive on the left. As for strange countries, whenever I see the words Swiss or Switzerland I have this wave of bafflement come over me... like what have these awkward folk ever done for the world. [emoji6]

Left hand drive or riding puts your sword arm closer to the approaching stranger.

Napoleon decided his troops would match on the right and the American colonial traitors and rebels followed their ally France.

Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk

I guess it's a matter of building safety and urgency/emergency and especially the latter (urgency/emergency) has several meanings. 

Most common urgency regarding toilets is to get to the bowl asap. 

But regarding the OP.....you're right; sometimes the cubicles are sooo tiny, that you have to fold up in order to be able to open the door. 

This has been both educational as well as highly entertaining however it does lead naturally on to the next question on which I eagerly await both the knowledge as well as the humour of my fellow posters. 

Why hey do we Brits "Take a dump" ?  The french (for example) do not "prend une merde" (apologies for spelling) 

when we do a "Number Two" we are taking nothing but the expression infers otherwise. 

This enigma has whiled away many a quiet quiet hour and as I enter the autumnal period of my e instance on this planet I would like the answer before I depart for the next big adventure.

OK guys, over to you!

3 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

This has been both educational as well as highly entertaining however it does lead naturally on to the next question on which I eagerly await both the knowledge as well as the humour of my fellow posters. 

Why hey do we Brits "Take a dump" ?  The french (for example) do not "prend une merde" (apologies for spelling) 

when we do a "Number Two" we are taking nothing but the expression infers otherwise. 

This enigma has whiled away many a quiet quiet hour and as I enter the autumnal period of my e instance on this planet I would like the answer before I depart for the next big adventure.

OK guys, over to you!

I do a shit.

2 hours ago, hobz said:

That goes contrary to what I read about the United states. 

One of the reasons doors open inwards in the US is so that it's easier to kick in the door for fire/rescue personell.

Don't they just blow the hinges off with their shotguns?

1 hour ago, The Dark Lord said:

OK guys, over to you!

You can't have given it that much thought, we also say take an exam, take a swim etc, nothing unique to dumping, take can also mean undertake.  And I think 'prendre une merde' is actually used in French.

13 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

You can't have given it that much thought, we also say take an exam, take a swim etc, nothing unique to dumping, take can also mean undertake.  And I think 'prendre une merde' is actually used in French.

Hi Shawn007, you have Avery good point or two in your reply. I was not thinking in broader terms about taking a dump and was focussing,wrongly it seems, on just that phrase not expanding my search function .

my son in law is French ( please don't tell anyone) and he is flummoxed either by my appalling accent or that I tell him I am off to take a dump as opposed to do a merde. He certainly has not come across the expression prendre use merde  (again I am presuming the merde is feminine)

thanks anyway for taking king the time and effort to respond.

cheers

On 2/19/2017 at 0:48 PM, Crossy said:

So you can keep the stall door closed with your foot when the lock is busted.

In the UK and everywhere else I remember the stall doors usually open inwards.

As far as I recall all public toilet doors in Hong Kong open inwards too.   

On 2/19/2017 at 0:52 PM, hobz said:

Driving is different, because the whole country has to decide on one way. Toilet doors have room for decisions in each case. In sweden MOST toilets open out. In thai ALL open in.

No to worry. Some day all toilet doors will open inward globally. The same as the Thai language will replace English as the most globally accepted language. Just wait and see. Or ask t5he all knowing Mr P.

On 2017/2/18 at 10:02 PM, oxo1947 said:

Why are toilet doors (and other doors) opened inwards in Thailand...

Why do  the light switches work the other way----

Why don't they have a space between written words---

Why cant you drink the tap water here-----

Why do they all take their shoes off when entering a building----

Why do people smile so much here---

Why do 7% (estimated) of males want to be females-----

Could it be that we are not in Kansas any-more.............:coffee1:

I like your questions so I will try to answer them here: Why do light switches work the other way -? Those tiny little white switches you mean? Probably they fixed it the wrong way round. That got to be the reason nothing else seem appropriate.

Why don't they have a space between written words-? Thai language is agglutinate that is to say they stick together. May be eating too much sticky rice(kow neow ) could be the reason.

Why do they take off their shoes in building?

I gather they save a lot on disinfectant when you don't need to wash the floor so often, Shoes have feces from the soi, the dog feces, the cow feces, even traces of them is enough to infect you with some illness. But the Thais are immune because since childhood they been walking around barefooted, so their immune system can recognize the germs. But for you,bad luck your immune system never met bugs from Thailand, they knock out your defence system in first round.

Why do they smile so much? There is a certain naif character in their mental outlook. It becomes part of their national characteristic.

Why do 7percent of the males want to be females?

Because when they were infants they were given "comforter"-(little phallus like rubber thing) to suck on. So when they grew up they still want to suck a phallus like object.That longing makes them want to be a female so they could suck it all day long and in  appropriate ways, i.e. wearing female dress with make-up.

Hope my answers satisfy your curiosity .

"Curiosity kills the Cat".

Sweden does have a security standard which is pretty high even compared with other western countries. All restaurant doors open outwards too etc., and it does make sense in case of fire, panics and so on. As someone mentioned before, pushing up a loo (bathroom for you Muricans) door when someone has fainted inside can be rather difficult with the door opening to the inside. But don't expect too much logic in Thailand, instead enjoy what other things it offers ?

You could ask the opposite, of course. I always thought that outward opening doors came from countries that suffered from snow. It did not fall into the house when you opened the door. Perhaps there are outdoor dunnies in nordic countries also?

On 19/02/2017 at 0:52 PM, hobz said:

Driving is different, because the whole country has to decide on one way. Toilet doors have room for decisions in each case. In sweden MOST toilets open out. In thai ALL open in.

In sweden MOST toilets open out. In thai ALL open in....In sweden MOST toilets open out. In thai ALL open in.

In sweden MOST toilets open out. In thai ALL open in....In sweden MOST toilets open out. In thai ALL open in.

In sweden MOST toilets open out. In thai ALL open in...In sweden MOST toilets open out. In thai ALL open in.

is it obsessional ? :crazy: