Real Fishing in Phuket/S. Thailand

One Being

I would like to know about those places in Phuket/S. Thailand where you don't feel like you're fishing in an unnatural environment; ie. a square cut into the ground, filled with water, and stuffed with fish.  In my case, the 'straw that broke the camel's back' was when I saw an angler at one of those fishing parks, catch a big Mekong Catfish. The assistant took the hook out, and applied some iodine solution to it's damaged mouth. It looked like it had been caught several times before.

I know there must be natural places around here. I mean natural in the sense that you don't have a 'guide' taking care of (interfering with - to experienced anglers) you. And also natural environment around you. Such places as man made lakes and dams would be fine of course.

I guess there are no rivers to speak of in Phuket? 

Looks like the area in and around Kao Sok national park might offer something more 'wild'?

Suggestions, recommendations, and ideas welcome.

Pretty much fished out here as there are no restrictions on size and species what you catch

And the thais take anything and turn them into fish paste, and nothing is done about it unlike other developed countries, no fines or confiscations of equipment.

The most likely thing you will catch here while fishing from the shore is a cold, i know from experience

Coastal sea fishing in Thailand is a disaster, just have a look at the locally caught fish at the market. A 6-inch grouper baby is considered to be a trophy catch. 

To catch some decent fish in the sea here you need a boat with the capability to take you far offshore. There are some very nice fish to be caught, both pelagic species such as sailfish, king mackerel, mahi mahi etc., and bottom fish like grouper and snapper, but you need to go way offshore and know your spots.

In freshwater there are some good reservoirs in remote locations, and also some good river fishing, but you need to know exactly where you are going and be equipped for it. Otherwise you can go to those horrible canned "fishing lakes" with artificially stocked fish. I would rather watch some good fishing shows on Youtube than spend my money in these so-called fishing lakes. Also called fishing brothels in Europe....

You realise why natural fishing is so pointless after watching Thais pump a pond dry and collect all fish visible without a magnifying glass. Also many of the "fishing lakes" are practically fishless as well - i know, i have fished them and managed them, Takes around 2 months for thai anglers to turn a well stocked lake into a an empty lake. And in the North-east, most small streams and klongs are either polluted or dry half the year. You need to be in a quite underpopulated area to find a river or lake worth fishing. You need to find a private lake on which fishing is restricted.

Edited by rickudon
Adding more info.