Ultrasound of carotid arteries in the neck to check blockage

oldcarguy

Hi , a couple years ago when I had a check-up at my local health center they also offered  an Ultrasound  carotid arteries in my neck , 

This checked for blockage in my carotid artery  ,  it was simple and only took a few minutes

I  checked out OK , but I wondered if this is offered in Thailand , and if its worth doing again ,

Thanks for your thoughts

6 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Have one done every year at Pattaya International Hospital , cost for both right and left arteries,  7,320 THB ( $209.36 on 15/2/17)

Currently have 32% blockage so my US based Vascular Surgeon requests a six month report when I am in Thailand 

Interesting as it was a portable machine  and at the  Health fair was only $20 , not sure if they did both sides ,  it took less than 10 minutes  for the scan and filling out the paperwork !

also got a free Flu shot :smile:

So is it normally that expensive ?

It is readily available here but usually done by a neurologist, and also usually done only if there are clinical indications (i.e. this is not a usual standard check-up component, either here or in the West...not sure why it was offered t your local HC).

As with any ultrasound it is only as useful as the skill of the person doing it/interpreting it, which needs to be put in the context of the person's overall history and symptoms.

On 2/19/2017 at 8:52 PM, Sheryl said:

It is readily available here but usually done by a neurologist, and also usually done only if there are clinical indications (i.e. this is not a usual standard check-up component, either here or in the West...not sure why it was offered t your local HC).

As with any ultrasound it is only as useful as the skill of the person doing it/interpreting it, which needs to be put in the context of the person's overall history and symptoms.

thanks Sheryl ,     I have no idea why it was offered at a Health Fair ,  I just thought it was something interesting  that I had not been offered in Thailand ( never asked for it either ) ,

How good is it at finding a blockage problem that needs to be looked at  more ?

If it used because of a specific clinical indication (symptoms of neuro impairment or known high risk factors for stroke) and done by a good neurologist based on these indications, it is very effective at identifying any potential  blockage of the carotid arteries. It will not identify blockages in smaller cerebral vessels.

Done as a general screening --> IMO not only pretty useless but, like any mis-used screening tool, can lead to problems such as unnecessary invasive procedures.