Selling some old motorbikes. Your advice needed.

Bulldozer Dawn

I have two old bikes that I want to sell or get rid of.

They both require work and I have decided it is better to use my time elsewhere.

I have a green books in my name for both of them.

Bike One

This bike has been off the road for 3 years or so and thus the tax and insurance is not paid up in the green book.

It requires a good deal of work.

Bike Two

This bike has up to date tax and insurance.

It is a bigger bike and requires a new clutch, front tire, fork seals, exhaust repair and some cosmetic work to get through the next rego check.

Risks I Want to Avoid

I have lived here full time for many years and have sold a number of bikes.  I always just meet the buyer at the transport office and ensure that the green book is transfer into his name.

I am aware that it is common risk for a buyer to not transfer a bike into his name.  That is, he just keeps paying the tax, but the old owner's name remains in the green book.

The problem

Neither of the bikes are up to scratch to pass an inspection.  It is therefore impossible to transfer the green books over at the transport office (they do an inspection as part of that process).  I don't want to waste time or money bringing them up to scratch.  I just want to get rid of them.  

My Options

Option One: There is a local Thai shop hereabouts that buys bikes.  A friend of mine leaving Thailand for good recently sold his bike to this Thai guy.  The guy did the same as I have done in the past, he requested that my friend meet him at the transport office to ensure the green book was transferred.  If I sell him the bike (and provide the greenbooks) how can I protect myself to ensure my name is not left in those books?

Option Two: If I arrange a private sale via the internet, to a foreigner or a Thai (and provide the greenbooks) how can I protect myself.

Option Three:  If I sell (or give away to a Thai kid) the bikes without the green books.  Are there any risks and do I have to do anything at the Transport office?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hi Bulldozer Dawn. Are you sure the inspection for roadworthyness needs to be done during the transfer of the green book? In theory it should be possible to transfer the bike without the bike being present at all. Only for the sticker of tax and roadworthyness should that inspection be required. Maybe one of those second hand bike dealers can help with that for a small fee.

They want to see the bikes to inspect the engine and chassis numbers..

31 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

If I arrange a private sale via the internet, to a foreigner or a Thai (and provide the greenbooks) how can I protect myself.

Give the new buyer all the usual  documents and write a receipt (example below)

clearly showing that you sold the bike on to such and such n such a day

you can have new seller and a witness countersign   one copy for you one for the new owner.

get a copy of new owners passport or ID card

if they don't transfer into their name then  "upto them"  

most of the vehicles at the car and bike tents are still in the previous owners name

buy sell  A4.jpg

My girlfriend one time bought an old motorcycle that was registered and had all paperwork, but tax was not paid for almost 5 years. She was able to register / transfer the ownership to her name, as she explained to the DLT that she needed to pay a good amount of money to restore the motorcycle to make it road worthy and understandably would only pay that amount if the paperwork was in her name… The DLT officer agreed and motorcycle was transferred in her name…

19 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Hi Bulldozer Dawn. Are you sure the inspection for roadworthyness needs to be done during the transfer of the green book? In theory it should be possible to transfer the bike without the bike being present at all. Only for the sticker of tax and roadworthyness should that inspection be required. Maybe one of those second hand bike dealers can help with that for a small fee.

I have sold five or six bikes in the past.  Yes they inspect and do a rub on the frame and engine numbers, however on two occasions they would not do the transfer because of road worthiness issues. Once was because of an aftermarket exhaust.

18 minutes ago, Richard-BKK said:

My girlfriend one time bought an old motorcycle that was registered and had all paperwork, but tax was not paid for almost 5 years. She was able to register / transfer the ownership to her name, as she explained to the DLT that she needed to pay a good amount of money to restore the motorcycle to make it road worthy and understandably would only pay that amount if the paperwork was in her name… The DLT officer agreed and motorcycle was transferred in her name…

Thanks Richard.  Very interesting post.  Maybe the transfer can be done on the basis that the incoming owner is buying a project.

1 minute ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Ah.  I forgot to mention one other very important point.

The bikes are both registered in another province from the one that I currently live in.

Provided the books are legit I believe they can be changed in any province.

6 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Another issue.  The closest transport office from where I live is about 45 minutes away.  However, I asked them the other day and they said that they can do my licence renewals, and tax and insurance updates, but if I sell a bike with a green book from another province the transfer has to be done in the provinces main transport office which is nearly a two hour run from  here.

1 minute ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Another issue.  The closest transport office from where I live is about 45 minutes away.  However, I asked them the other day and they said that they can do my licence renewals, and tax and insurance updates, but if I sell a bike with a green book from another province the transfer has to be done in the provinces main transport office which is nearly a two hour run from  here.

Find a friendly moto mechanic, they can sort it. Mine takes a week.

8 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Ah.  I forgot to mention one other very important point.

The bikes are both registered in another province from the one that I currently live in.

All the more reason to just give the new seller all the paperwork and let them deal with the hassle

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yes but first/at the same time you have to "move" the bike to the new province 

( the province you live in if you're a foreigner, dictated by having to get a residence certificate)

they make an entry in the green book and perhaps check with the original provinces DLT office

..and be issued a new number plate so its not a one day affair

1 minute ago, johng said:

( the province you live in if you're a foreigner, dictated by having to get a residence certificate)

they make an entry in the green book and perhaps check with the original provinces DLT office

I dont need a residency cert.

4 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

but if I sell a bike with a green book from another province the transfer has to be done in the provinces main transport office which is nearly a two hour run from  here.

Yes isn't it a most wonderfully  modern and efficient system ?   maybe that's why so many people just leave the name unchanged.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

All the more reason to just give the new seller all the paperwork and let them deal with the hassle

I just want to get rid of the bikes and not have any residual risks regarding the ownership.  If I let them go with the green books I can probably get a few extra baht.  But if I have to lose a day (or two) at the transport office, better to just dump them in the river.

Just now, Bulldozer Dawn said:

I just want to get rid of the bikes and not have any residual risks regarding the ownership.  If I let them go with the green books I can probably get a few extra baht.  But if I have to lose a day (or two) at the transport office, better to just dump them in the river.

What bikes are they, Iam looking for a project.

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I dont need a residency cert.

Selling a Car

The procedure for selling a used car in Thailand is similar to the one for buying one and is completed at the local DLT 
office.

The following methods can be used to advertise a used car for sale:

1.  Local newspaper classifieds, e.g. Bangkok Post, Phuket Gazette, Pattaya Mail
2.  Online forums, for example Thaicar.com
3.  Dealers (will offer low price)
4.  Place a sign on the vehicle and leave it in a well trafficked area

The seller must provide signed ownership documents

1.  The Blue Book
2.   A passport,
3.   Visa
4.   Work permit or a Certificate or Letter of Residence issued by Thai Immigration or their Embassy.
5.   If the previous owner is Thai they have to provide an ID card and House Registration Documents.

If the car is over seven years old it must have passed a road worthiness test. If the car has an up-to-date tax 
sticker this will prove that the road worthiness test has been carried out.

Normally the buyer and seller complete the transfer of ownership paperwork together at the local DLT office, 
but it is possible to give power of attorney to a third party.

Are you sure or do you have a work permit

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes isn't it a most wonderfully  modern and efficient system ?   maybe that's why so many people just leave the name unchanged.

Yes it is a farce.  Every Thai is falling over themselves to borrow money to buy the latest car.  But their administration system here is still in the dark ages (In fact it is no better than that I encountered buying a bike in Calcutter 32 years ago).

2 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

just want to get rid of the bikes and not have any residual risks regarding the ownership.

The only way to be 100% sure is to go to the DLT and see the book with the new owners name in it.

I have sold 2 cars and 3 motorbikes  and never went with the new buyer to the DLT just gave them all the documents and got  a receipt from them ( the one in my first reply ) never had any come back at all  no traffic fines nothing.

If you want to dump them in the river then there is a nice ( suitable as in lots of dumped stuff in it already) one just outside my front door.

5 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

I understand that one is not required for the seller in my current province.

Yes there is still a lot of debate over that issue too.

So list of provinces where residence certificate is required ( from foreign seller ) so far is
Chonburi/Pattaya
Nakhornratchasima/Korat
Khon Kaen  ??
Buriram for sure
Chiang Mai ?
BKK ?

Archived