Home Theatre: Any suggestions and Info?

GuntherBKK

Although I have always been interested in electronics in general like sound and video equipment I only broke the bank one time to get myself a home theater back in 2001.

This setup involved:

* NAD T762 AVR

* Panasonic 42" plasma (professional line)

* Totem Dreamcatcher speakers (2 centers, and 4 bookshelves)

* REL Q150E subwoofer

* NAD T550

Over the course of time I actually never really changed much about this setup, except adding a blu-ray player and replaced the TV after using the plasma for about 10 years. So I guess it is safe to say I am not an audiophile in the sense of having all the latest tech but I do value quality sound and video. 

By the end of this year I will move permanently here to Thailand and I figure this move to be the perfect timing to already start delving into the long list of options to buy myself a new, more up-to-date home theater. I will work with a budget of about 80,000 baht to 100,000 baht for the AVR and preferably a 7.1 speaker setup if this is possible within my own criteria, otherwise I might have to opt for a 5.1 or 6.1 again which I really want to avoid because I can certainly hear the difference from a 7.1 system, even in smaller rooms and with cheaper all-in-one sets (talking about the surround effect, not the audio quality and not taking the center sound into account with this comparison)

So, what are my criteria? Well, this:

* Budget 80,000 to 100,000 Baht

* Not have to import myself

* Speaker set-up need to have full range floor standing / tower speakers as main L and R and very good channel separation so voices actually do come from center speaker

* will be used for 50% movies and 50% music (ambient, jazz, EDM, pop)

* preferably network accessibility and services (I stream a lot from phone, Netflix, Spotify, Popcorn Time, etc)

* ABSOLUTELY NOT A SOUNDBAR !!!

The problem with the current setup mainly involves the limitations of the Totem Dreamcatcher series as these are tiny speakers speakers and although they deliver top notch in-class sound they fall short compared to full range surround systems. I also feel the center channel is not defining enough which often gives the impression the voices are coming from the front L and R speakers, even after calibrating each separate channel. This might just be because of the NAD receiver or the center speaker isn't all that good. No idea. I just notice the issue. The NAD also falls short on features and realistic connections, yes, even back then I had to opt for a component solution instead of using HDMI. 

I, however did like the soft warm tones of this setup. Even in a living room with materials considered far from beneficial for acoustics it (lots of glass, no carpets, etc) delivered a tender smoothness and the REL is a perfect backup when things need to go deep. The problem however here was the crossover from the tiny speakers to the subwoofer. That is why I want to opt for full range floor standing speakers as the front L and R speaker.

I have been looking around here in Bangkok and first thing I already notice is the poor technical knowledge of staff working at places like Power Buy or Power Mall. They care only of trying to sell you something and go straight to the product that needs to be pushed in sales. The moment you throw in your own thoughts they fall through the ice. Then there are places like Home Hi-Fi who have a nice selection of brands but miss many options you can buy outside of Thailand but for some reason not in Thailand (try to find JBL full tower speakers here not included in a set and you will find NONE...unless imported and crazy expensive) and then there are the places that are TOO Hi-Fi like Discovery Hi-Fi to name one :)

In Belgium it is very easy to make a selection and criteria and send that information to the Hi-Fi store that then in return will contact you to have a listening session within the boundaries of the criteria you set and with your own listening and viewing material. You can not avoid these sessions to be in an all-perfect acoustic environment but at least you can experience every single combo backed up by someone who actually knows the products they are selling and knows how the products will perform in a real life environment like a living room.

So, after writing all of this I will come to the real intent of me writing all this. I need to have information from people who have experience with this in Thailand and have experience with their own AV systems at home. What are your suggestions, what are you using and what are the ups and downs of the system, how would you describe your impression and do you have some other insights which I may have forgotten to think of?

At the moment I feel my interest is going towards this:

* AVR: Denon or Marantz

* Speakers: 2x full tower full range mains, 1 center and 4 surround speakers from either JBL or Polk...maybe Infinity

* Subwoofer: I really liked the REL but seems hard to get in Thailand and seems Polk comes highly recommended for subwoofer

* Speakers within same series but do not think a subwoofer needs to be from the same line

So, please feel free to correct me where I might be wrong and all information you can give regarding different sound signature, channel separation, sound quality and AVR / speaker combination (as I expect a Denon AVR combined with JBL or Infinity speakers for instance will surely sound different) will be much appreciated. One last thing, I will be living in Chon Buri so narrow it down to that area if possible

Edited by GuntherBKK

PowerBuy is not the place to buy a decent home theater system... the sales people there know nothing.

I highly recommend Piyanas... they have a number of showrooms in Thailand and they know their stuff.

Once you've made your choice and paid for your system, they will deliver it and set it up for you in your house/apartment/condo and get the sound as perfect as possible for your listening pleasure.

Check out their offerings (and prices) online here.