Thaivisa exclusive: Liverpool man wants Pattaya bargirl jailed but doesn’t blame the resort – “7/11 claim” was just nonsense

webfact

45 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Well, now. somehow you have seen that I would be happy getting ripped off; please show me where I said that."

1. "Well, yes, quite frankly, anytime you go to a similar "entertainment" area, you should expect to get ripped-off"

2. "Seems to me, I 'd rather pay B90 than take a beating like that."

Both quotes from yourself, I believe, and while you do not say you re exactly happy to be ripped off, you ARE saying you should expect it!

Well,  I am glad you see that expecting ripoffs and paying B90 rather than take a beating like that, are not "happy" connotations to anybody. 

The fact that rip-offs occur in such areas is rather universal--I can think of several such places in the US and in Europe--and their existence should not be a big secret to anyone who has paid attention.

Expecting to get ripped-off is being prepared; so that you can thwart any rip-off attempts.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well,  I am glad you see that expecting ripoffs and paying B90 rather than take a beating like that, are not "happy" connotations to anybody. 

The fact that rip-offs occur in such areas is rather universal--I can think of several such places in the US and in Europe--and their existence should not be a big secret to anyone who has paid attention.

Expecting to get ripped-off is being prepared; so that you can thwart any rip-off attempts.

I do believe that you are "splitting hairs" on this one, and any further discussion with you is becoming pointless. To be honest, IMHO you are defending the indefensible, and to side with the barmaid/owner in this case is agreeing that such behaviour should be expected in "entertainment" areas, and it is no wonder that the upper echelons of the authorities are beginning to realise (hopefully!) that enough is enough, and such behaviour is not to be tolerated.They are possibly beginning to realise that beating tourists/farangs does indeed affect tourist figures (in spite of the different "statistics" quoted by TAT)  and does indeed "damage the image of Pattaya"!  (:cheesy:) This obviously affects the whole of the country, as potential visitors tend to class the country as a whole, and do not not want to endure this type of holiday experience. Hence, they are starting to choose with their feet - hence the upsurge in tourism in Vietnam and Cambodia.

One problem is, that because of people like yourself who have such a distorted view of "customer service", more and more farangs/tourists have been treated so abominably by bar owners and their staff. You think that no one should complain about their "padded bills", and should just accept the rip off as part of the "Thailand experience" (or get a beating as part of the "Thailand experience"!) and consequently there are more and more incidents where any disputed bill is settled not by discussion, but by a beating. Unfortunately, the more times that it happens without action by the authorities, the more the problem is going to escalate  - hence the "arrest" of the bar owner/barmaid in this case.

To Lodgy and his Wife.

Sorry to hear about your demise as it seems, in a sense , you were at the wrong place at the wrong time considering you have never encountered any problems such as you encountered on that particular evening.

May I offer a little bit of advice and a dash of constructive criticism.

You mentioned that you have been coming to Thailand for a good number of years and now living in Thailand for many years...correct?

I am curious to know: Do you or your wife speak Thai with any fluency???

If not and that is the case then I highly recommend you and your wife learn to speak the language because it makes a big difference.

Of course you are not obligated to learn one word if you are not interested....AND...... it should not make a difference concerning being ripped off and or assaulted.......but...... it does... it does...in this country.

When you do learn the language and speak the language with a degree of fluency ...you will dramatically lower your chances of being taken for a ride and or ripped off when you can speak to them in their language while they know...... that you KNOW.

As they often say. Farang Lroo Muck ...( Foreigner Knows Too Much ) and what it really means is: We can not so easily BS this person or these people or certainly not too much or decide just don't go there, so to speak and leave them alone and attempt to pull the nasty BS on other Farang that obviously are at a big disadvantage when they do not speak Thai.  

Again...Speaking Thai does not make you totally immune to any of their BS and the possible run around you could encounter with all too many of them and especially in Bar districts and entertainment districts where alcohol is being served...but it certainly does makes a difference when you ask them straight out what is the price of a drink and show me the menu and speak AT THEM and let them know you know the score by way of speaking their language while anything you have to say is said in their language and do not speak English..at all......unless you do not know some of the words while you do not have to know every single word for word...lol

Just enough to impress upon them you are not to be judged as a person that can be taken advantage of because of misunderstandings in the "language department" that they often use as the reason to pull a fast one on you while they can speak English well enough to have an advantage over you in such situations.

Some may agree and others may not ...but it is always prudent to learn the local language if you can so there are less "misunderstandings"

Cheers

9 minutes ago, sambum said:

I do believe that you are "splitting hairs" on this one, and any further discussion with you is becoming pointless. To be honest, IMHO you are defending the indefensible, and to side with the barmaid/owner in this case is agreeing that such behaviour should be expected in "entertainment" areas, and it is no wonder that the upper echelons of the authorities are beginning to realise (hopefully!) that enough is enough, and such behaviour is not to be tolerated.They are possibly beginning to realise that beating tourists/farangs does indeed affect tourist figures (in spite of the different "statistics" quoted by TAT)  and does indeed "damage the image of Pattaya"!  (:cheesy:) This obviously affects the whole of the country, as potential visitors tend to class the country as a whole, and do not not want to endure this type of holiday experience. Hence, they are starting to choose with their feet - hence the upsurge in tourism in Vietnam and Cambodia.

One problem is, that because of people like yourself who have such a distorted view of "customer service", more and more farangs/tourists have been treated so abominably by bar owners and their staff. You think that no one should complain about their "padded bills", and should just accept the rip off as part of the "Thailand experience" (or get a beating as part of the "Thailand experience"!) and consequently there are more and more incidents where any disputed bill is settled not by discussion, but by a beating. Unfortunately, the more times that it happens without action by the authorities, the more the problem is going to escalate  - hence the "arrest" of the bar owner/barmaid in this case.

Let's see if I can break this down into simple enough terms.

I neither deny nor try to justify overcharging.

I also cannot deny or try to defend the multitudes of drunks who argue about their bills, correct or not. 

I certainly would not be surprised by an after-the-fact story by anyone so shamed to generate a story worded in such a way as to alleviate some of the shame.

In short, I do not believe his story; but I do not condone the assault he suffered--I just find it a little amusing. 

3 hours ago, Gonefortea said:

All this is easily sorted after every wet check your bin if the last tab is wrong point it out straight away. It's not rocket science. If you get that rat arsed you don't know what's put in your bin then sorry that's your problem. All the years I've been here I have never been overcharged the bar prices in my bin. If I start to get blathered I stop drinking or if the wife's out with me she keeps the bin correct.

Please read the OP post, this is exactly what he did,unfortunately the crazy bar girl took it further. 

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I also cannot deny or try to defend the multitudes of drunks who argue about their bills, correct or not. 

I certainly would not be surprised by an after-the-fact story by anyone so shamed to generate a story worded in such a way as to alleviate some of the shame.

In short, I do not believe his story; but I do not condone the assault he suffered--I just find it a little amusing. 

Let me put it in simple enough terms - I do not agree with you for various reasons that I have already stated, but your last sentence (and this is my last sentence!) says it all about you - to find amusement in someone else's misfortune just about sums you and your attitudes up - my last word on the subject, but no doubt you will have some sort of comeback - I wouldn't bother! :mfr_closed1: 

16 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

Which original post of the two stories tvf has put out?

This OP..... at the top of this thread... the thread we are now posting on..... no need to be obtuse.... quite obviously the other post cannot provide the information referenced, as it did not contain the mans story

if you wish to read the other post.... vs this OP, then scroll down till you find the victims response, were that OP story (bargirls version) is refuted.

17 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I wouldn't hold your breath either.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

it's a sad state of affairs after what you and your wife have been through that you have to read some of the pathetic drivel on here from so called adults. I only joined a few days ago on recommendation from a friend and from I have read on here so far, particularly this one and the previous thread, there are a sad % of keyboard warriors just out to talk ****<deleted> and attempt to cause further misery and provocation where possible. Sadly not untypical of Internet forums in all honesty.

Well done for remaining dignified despite all the provocation and hopefully in the real world you will get a result fitting of the crime you faced. No one should have to endure that kind of behaviour.

Fortunately, even in pattaya it is rare.

Best wishes

12 hours ago, lodgy53 said:

I,m afraid nontabury, you, I, and others are wasting our breath on the dimwit bargirl backers. Thank you for your kind support

i have lived in pattaya many years and knowing some thais(not all ) i believe lodgy without a douht.

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

This OP..... at the top of this thread... the thread we are now posting on..... no need to be obtuse.... quite obviously the other post cannot provide the information referenced, as it did not contain the mans story

if you wish to read the other post.... vs this OP, then scroll down till you find the victims response, were that OP story (bargirls version) is refuted.

Oh dear keep your wig on. There are several different versions of this story as you well know. Unlike yourself I belive non of them. We will wait and see for the next one to come out. Obtuse LOL get real. Pretty obvious where your hat lies in bold.

Not sure what they had to drink vodka tonic (350 sounds like a double), cokes, ice love to see the bill, but 600 between 4 people (assuming him, his missus and the two relatives were drinking) is still only 150 per head in a beer bar. Go absolutely anywhere and you'll see Thais checking the bill. Sometimes there's a problem, extra this, extra that but it gets sorted without a problem. NOOOOOOOOO there's a bt90 bottle of beer we didn't order. Sort it out. Been here 11yrs should know better. There's more to this. Pissed up? You just need to look at the vid. Mouthed off? Who knows but something must've happened. Again 11yrs should be able to sort this out. Maybe he's a I don't eat Thai food, I don't speak Thai expat.

mị̀ dị̂ s̄ạ̀ng nī̂ Krap (my dye sung knee)

I didn't order this.

17 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

Oh dear keep your wig on. There are several different versions of this story as you well know. Unlike yourself I belive non of them. We will wait and see for the next one to come out. Obtuse LOL get real. Pretty obvious where your hat lies in bold.

Troll much?

Me and my German mate Seb, have had loads of problems wih bill padding in A few different places. I got slapped badly a few years back in Suk Soi 11 for arguing about a 80 bsht Pad Thai, me  I was livid, but 2 bkack eyes and a bollocking later at work, sorted that for a while, my old boss didn't find it funny.

Me mate and next boss Seb though, all the time, he's ended up being punched in Lonely Beach, Bangkok and Chanthaburi for argiung prices or touching girls. Had to carry him out of bars a lot of times in Koh Chang, soft <deleted> he is.

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

This comment is extremely stupid. Sorry Sir!

3 hours ago, black fox said:

i have lived in pattaya many years and knowing some thais(not all ) i believe lodgy without a douht.

Thank you. I am not here to hoodwink the masses of total dimwits who persecute us all with their total drivel

22 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, now. somehow you have seen that I would be happy getting ripped off; please show me where I said that.

I drink all over Thailand, including Pattaya an average of four nights a week. I have never gotten stiffed with a bill I could not resolve. I pay attention to the prices, how many drinks I have had, and I rarely get drunk. All three of which, it appears to me, the victim did not do.

I haven't read a post from a neutral poster--please show me where it is. I will be glad to read it.

By Trumpisms I was referring to your repetition of the word "fake" and spouting debatable reasons instead of  logic to support your statements.

B600, or even B690 for four people in a bar in Pattaya is not an out of the question bill--especially when you consider, as I do, that there are many farangs who get so drunk and are so cheap they would argue about how many drinks they have had when they do not even know.,

Anytime you run a tab you are leaving yourself open, especially if you are drunk. It is very difficult to prove you did not have an extra drink, especially when you do not even know. 

And, I think I have already told you; I don't know who is right and neither do you. However, I rarely hear a drunk tell the story as it happened, and their story does not ring true to me.

The fact that the barmaid should not have assaulted the customer is not being argued--it just brings a little chuckle.

try reading post 150 SLOWLY, its from the guy involved in this story, the bar wanted to charge them 350 baht EACH for a vodka and they had 3 from what i read plus 90 baht for a beer, the bill they paid was reduced because they questioned the bill, i presume you would be happy buying 4 drinks at 1490 baht

1 hour ago, lodgy53 said:

Thank you. I am not here to hoodwink the masses of total dimwits who persecute us all with their total drivel

I am not sure you are helping your cause by some of the comments you are making on here. You do seem to have a short fuse. I can understand that you are upset but please remember that most people posting do not know you and did not witness the incident. It seems to me that you got a raw deal with the billing but mouthing off is counter productive. 

7 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Yes. Obviously. Nice to see there are no bigger problems to report in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Such as deciding to lose the E.U. Financial Industry and going into a selfmade depression? Most of the British print press is tabloid nonsense. Their ecomony will be crumbling around them but that will be ignored because they will garner more readers writing about a black eye half a word away. Better yet, one of their nationals being found in a short time room! 

One more thing. Soi7/8 use to be packed a few years ago. After reading too many stories about violence against farangs I never stop for a drink there anymore. Bar owners have themselves to blame for the lack of customers for not self regulating the bad bars.

it is standard practise in many pattaya bars to add unpaid bills to other tourists bills

if they think they can get away with it, charging over the top in the first place is sometimes

a test to see if you are willing to be shafted, and if you are they will throw a few on top

just because they think you are an easy touch.

if you are drunk or have no Thais in your company or maybe speak no thai you are likely

to be selected for this treatment....if you object they can get very angry as you are supposed

to bend over nicely and say thank you, and because a lot do meekly pay and crawl out it never gets dealt with by the powers that be.      

9 hours ago, Gonefortea said:

I'm assuming your a tourist with rose tinted glasses,or if you do live here,then it's only recent. Anyone who lives here,especially if they've been frequent visitors to the bars,know full well that some of these bar girls are,amongst other things,conn merchants and scammers.The name of the game is money,money,money.

9 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I'm assuming your a tourist with rose tinted glasses,or if you do live here,then it's only recent. Anyone who lives here,especially if they've been frequent visitors to the bars,know full well that some of these bar girls are,amongst other things,conn merchants and scammers.The name of the game is money,money,money.

Well I have to tell you you are incorrect on all your assumptions. I have lived here as per my post on new members. For nigh on 27 years. In all that time I have once been ripped off and that was my fault because I took pity on a fellow expat only to find he was the lowest form of scum and it was his job to fleece fellow expats luckily enough he only had me for several drinks and a meal. Others lost a lot more. I live in hope I will bump into him again.

I have Thai citizenship now. I still enjoy the night life in Pattaya on holiday from our home in the north. I have some fantastic friends there. No rose colored specs here my friend just a whole lot of common sense and reasoning to back that up.

1 hour ago, zoza said:

it is standard practise in many pattaya bars to add unpaid bills to other tourists bills

if they think they can get away with it, charging over the top in the first place is sometimes

a test to see if you are willing to be shafted, and if you are they will throw a few on top

just because they think you are an easy touch.

if you are drunk or have no Thais in your company or maybe speak no thai you are likely

to be selected for this treatment....if you object they can get very angry as you are supposed

to bend over nicely and say thank you, and because a lot do meekly pay and crawl out it never gets dealt with by the powers that be.      

Again if your plastered then I guess some would I will keep on saying it's your bin your responsibility  to check it. Start from the very beginning check everything that goes into your bin keep it close to you so you can see if anything has been slipped in. If it's not in your bin you don't pay for it.

But I would refute it's standard practice.

Archived