Taking ID cards from visitors

Searat7

I know it is common practice for hotels to hold ID cards for room visitors but I live in a condo (renting directly from owner) and the building management says that this law applies to condos and apartments as well.

Does anyone know if this is true ?

It's not a law but I am delighted that my condo building takes ID from all hookers visitors. Maybe it helps keep some of the worst ones out of the building, and maybe it deters some of the rest from misbehaving whilst they are in the building.

I'd be quite happy that the reception, management are at least awake & alert.

I'm sure if you approach them in a respectful manner, they will allow your "selected guests" entry, so long as you vouch for them.

20 hours ago, KittenKong said:

It's not a law but I am delighted that my condo building takes ID from all hookers visitors. Maybe it helps keep some of the worst ones out of the building, and maybe it deters some of the rest from misbehaving whilst they are in the building.

Because of previous problems my old condo in Bkk, by decision of owners at an AGM, took a photo of every visitor plus photocopy of back and front of ID card or passport etc., and actual ID card / passport returned when visitor left the building. Same for any visiting workmen etc. 

21 hours ago, KittenKong said:

There you go stirring up old memories using the word hookers and misbehaving. I am trying to remember the last time I misbehaved. Geeze can it be that far back??

I personally would never leave my ID card with security at any condo. What I do if visiting is get the condo owner/friend to meet me at the barrier. He or she then vouches for me I show my ID card to security then hand them a photo copy of it. Only once has that been refused and I let them keep hold of my driving license.

Edited by Gonefortea

Same at my townhouse community, either give them your ID, or turnaround and leave. I am glad they are watching out for us inside these gates, makes being here much more enjoyable. My only pet peeve is that everyone uses the small soi roads in here to park, not in their double parking spots on their own property (under there lean to's), makes turning into my parking space a bit more challenging. 

It's probably a "good idea" if your hotel or condo is located in an area with a lot of prostitutes and there have been problems in the past with prostitutes stealing, drugging, robbing residents.

Sometimes when people do stupid, immature things smart, mature people try to intervene FOR YOUR PROTECTION. ?

Taking the ID care protects both you, your neighbors and the guest.

My condo takes the ID card unless the guests are with me and sometimes they take it then unless they know they are a frequent visitor.

It is only a minor inconvenience and I think it is a good thing.

Most hotels and good condominiums have this practice.

as many here, I am happy that I live in a place where the door does not need to be of steel and double locked.
in my experience, an expired driving license is perfectly fine for security.

Thai law is straight forward. No one may keep you id card or passport except immigration officers under special conditions.

The passport is a document the request the safe passage and help by the government issued to the nation the barrier is entering or staying.

It is the property of the country that it issued and request is done for the person that is described in it.

An ID card is also property of the nation that issued it and provides the confirmation of the identity of the barrier.

Most thai condo owners, resorts and hotel keep the original to help to protect the guest against the visitor it takes to the room. Just in case. Actually they are allowed to make a copy and are allowed to demand that it is legalised by demanding that the visitor is placing the signature.

Commercial properties do have to keep record of the guest and visitors by the law in many countries

Not the law just condo security. If you have a regular visitor after a couple of visits

your guest will no longer have to leave their ID at the at the front gate security.

At least that is my experience.  

Not law, they only said that to keep explanation short. By law though, juristic condo could set up house rules and regulations that residents need to comply, and that could include checking visitors for ID.

You should be happy though that juristic officer or management staff at your place being strict about visitors. It is only for your own and your neighbors benefit. However, I do not think they have rights to keep visitors' ID, but it is a common practice in Thailand to do so. For example, when you drive through a housing estate as a visitor or visit office building, many of these places they strictly ask to keep your ID and return it back to you when you are out. I like this practice and always comply.

20 hours ago, KKr said:

as many here, I am happy that I live in a place where the door does not need to be of steel and double locked.
in my experience, an expired driving license is perfectly fine for security.

My brother and I look similar, but not the same. On one of his visits, he gave me his old gym membership card with a photo ID. Ever since, I've been using that to get into condos/villages when visiting friends. I haven't had a problem yet.

T