Apple Macbook Osx

glooay

Hello everyone,

I do have an Apple Macbook osx purchased in U.S. and I can not watch DVD that I have purchased in South Korea.

Does anyone know how to get Korean DVD to work?

If you use the Apple DVD player, you can run into region encoding problems. What happens is that after you have viewed DVDs from a given region five times, the counter locks in to that region via a firmware setting that you cannot change. Actually, there are some firmware hacks for some DVDs, but it can be dangeous if you don't do it correctly, and perhaps end up with a broken DVD.

The solution is to use VLC player. It will play DVDs from any region any number of times. And it's free.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Thank you for the information.

Now my second question is: which location should I choose from the download VLC ? I assumed that I have to select a location of DVD

that I want to watch which is South Korea in my case but I don't see it in the list. Do you have any advice to solve this?

Yes, VLC player is the best solution I know. :o

When I bought my first DVD writer, it was altered by the chap who installed it, he either flipped a switch or moved a shunt, so that it will now read any region and play any region. Without this small mod, on the 5th time that you put in a different region DVD then the drive will 'freeze' on that region so you will have to take it and have it reset again - this can only happen 5 times.

Looking at 'Nero InfoTool', the bottom panel 'DVD Features says:-

DVD Features

Region Control RPCII Changes Left User 5 CSS (Tick)

Region Code None Vendor 4 CPRM (Tick)

I suggest that you take the Apple to the dealer and see if he will do it for you.

What you need to do is download Mac the Ripper (free), then rip the DVDs onto your hard drive and burn them them onto new disks (use DVD-R for the most universal use). They will automatically come out as "Region Code 0". Then you can watch them on any DVD player, including the Mac's DVD Player application (which has some advantages over VLC).