bank account with tourist visa

cheapskatesam

Ahh the old classic bank account thread makes an appearance i hear you all gasp..

I'll be in Bangkok next month and i need to get a bloody bank account. I've been putting it off for many years but recently I've discovered there's no way of escaping the 200baht atm fees now. I used to go to Citybank in Asoke but on my recent visit it seems even they are charging 200 now. Not only that but my bank in the UK also bloody charges me so basically i'm paying £6 every time i want to get some cash out..

Has anyone got any up to date intelligence on where i might be able to get a Thai bank account on a Tourist Visa.. I i'm willing to travel to anywhere in Bangkok and maybe further.. I will have my passport with me, single entry tourist visa,, some paperwork from my service apartment i will stay at and some baht to deposit.. 

surely i can find someone with a kind hearted manager that will let me open a account :D 

Hi,

Try Bangkok Bank. They have a current account for foreigners, which comes with a debit visa card. You need to get a form from them first, fill it in and have your embassy confirm it (i.e. many official stamps). The main drawback - you cannot manage your account online.

I've opened mine in the Sukhumvit branch. Halfway between Phetchaburi and Sukhumvit MRTS, on your left when walking from the Asoke junction.

HTH.

Edited by shadowofacloud

16 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

Hi,

Try Bangkok Bank. They have a current account for foreigners, which comes with a debit visa card. You need to get a form from them first, fill it in and have your embassy confirm it (i.e. many official stamps). The main drawback - you cannot manage your account online.

I've opened mine in the Sukhumvit branch. Halfway between Phetchaburi and Sukhumvit MRTS, on your left when walking from the Asoke junction.

HTH.

I went to that bank and many others in BKK and was told NO, not w/o a work permit.  Finally got it in Pattaya only because my friend knew the manager.

53 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I went to that bank and many others in BKK and was told NO, not w/o a work permit.  Finally got it in Pattaya only because my friend knew the manager.

You need to go to a bigger branch with English speaking staff. In one of the smaller branches I was told I need a letter form my embassy and they were unable to specify what kind of letter. Only in the branch mentioned above, I was given an actual form to fill in.

I've opened the account in Sep 2016. When did you try to open yours?

I opened a Bangkok Bank savings account ( comes with a Be1st debit Visa card but I only use it at atm's ) last July.
Opened it on a tourist visa at Future Park Rangsit, after trying 3 Kasikorns and 2 other Bangkok Banks ( they all wanted work permits) my gf gave her mothers address as a residence.
No online banking but I never asked for it and when I tried to set it up online it told me to go to the branch but I haven't gone back to the branch to try and get it yet.
Transfer from my NatWest account no problem, have made 5 or 6 international transfers, just need the card reader first time.

You'll probably get knocked back a couple of times but just keep trying.

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

1 hour ago, cheapskatesam said:

I need a debit card to use at ATM's

Online banking

Ability to transfer money from my UK account 

You get a better rate if you transfer money by Forex or other similar service. Bank rates are crap.

Some banks branches will say they cant do it but another one might.

One thing to look out for is you will get charged for using a different branch if using the hole in the wall.

My bank charges me 15 baht if I don't use the one I opened the account with.

1 hour ago, cheapskatesam said:

I need a debit card to use at ATM's

Online banking

Ability to transfer money from my UK account 

No online banking with the Bangkok Bank savings account - I've explicitly asked for that and made sure I was understood. And - according to my research - BB is the only bank, which will open an account for a person on a tourist visa. I tried at least 5 other banks, both in Bangkok, Surat Thani and some smaller towns in the south - no luck.

You can make a standard wire transfer from virtually anywhere in the world.

You can definitely get online banking. As well as secured credit cards and foreign exchange accounts and savings accounts. Whether or not your branch opens any of the above for you is purely at the discretion of the rep. I know plenty who have all of the above with tourist visas. Go towards the end of the month, when they need your account for their monthly quota. Be sure you look very presentable and bring a thai (not a bargirl) with you, if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I recently opened an account with Kasikorn and got a debit card and Online banking. Ive only got a tourist visa at present. It does appear to be random as a couple of branches said no unless I brought the village chief with me bla bla but the one I have just wanted to see my passport.

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I recently opened an account with Kasikorn and got a debit card and Online banking. Ive only got a tourist visa at present. It does appear to be random as a couple of branches said no unless I brought the village chief with me bla bla but the one I have just wanted to see my passport.

What branch? :D 

you can open an account at bangkok bank's main branch on silom road with a tourist visa.  you need the rental contract from your apartment along with a letter from the manager that says it is a legitimate contract.  also, you need a letter from your embassy stating your passport is legitimate.  the US embassy had a form for me to fill out so UK embassy probably has a similar form.  at the BB silom branch, i opened a thai baht account on the first floor and then went to second floor to open a US dollar account.  this was done in feb 2016.

you don't get access to online banking but you can still send funds from your country to thailand (using internet banking from your bank in UK).  i was told i needed retirement visa/extension of stay to get online banking.

i also opened an account at krungthai bank on sukhumvit soi 22.  the terms for the USD account were not very good so i ended up closing that one but still have the thai baht account with them. 

i'd heard it was tough to open accounts on tourist visas but i was 2 for 2.  i wanted a USD account and the only bangkok bank branch (in bangkok) that will do that is the one on silom road (all foreign currency accounts are held there).  and the krungthai bank is on the soi where i live.  so i guess i got lucky.

I don't understand the point of opening a bank account if you're not working here or need it for marriage/retirement extension. You still need to withdraw the money from your overseas account which will cost you money and Thai banks always charge you fees for something...even deposits.

I use my 0% forex credit card for purchases and aeon + bank of China for withdrawals depending on location.

9 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't understand the point of opening a bank account if you're not working here or need it for marriage/retirement extension. You still need to withdraw the money from your overseas account which will cost you money and Thai banks always charge you fees for something...even deposits.

I use my 0% forex credit card for purchases and aeon + bank of China for withdrawals depending on location.

In my case it was to avoid the FX spread when withdrawing from an ATM (around 5%, due to an FX cross rate) or paying by credit card (8-10%, same reason) - wire transfer + local debit card were much cheaper.

But I wasn't aware of the forex card you mentioned. Will look into it.