One student killed and 20 injured in car crash in Phetchabun

webfact

One student killed and 20 injured in car crash

2202005.jpg

PHETCHABUN: -- One student died and 20 others were injured when a song thaew, a pickup truck modified into a school bus, crashed into a roadside tree in Lom Khao district of Phetchabun province on Wednesday.

The modified school bus was carrying 20 students from kindergarten to primary school levels when it was travelling on the Kaeng Tone-Song Puey road in Lom Khao district on Wednesday afternoon.

Lom Khao district chief officer Somluck Yoknoiwong said investigators suspected that the driver might have fallen asleep behind the wheel when he slammed the vehicle into a roadside tree because there were no traces of car tires on the road which would suggest that the driver had not applied brake to try to stop the vehicle before the crash.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-student-killed-20-injured-car-crash/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-02-23

Heartbreaking terrible news. My condolences to the family of the little boy that died and I wish a speedy recovery to the others.

I didn't see any report of the driver being arrested.

He has 20+ kids in the back and drives into a tree, at a fair old lick looking at the damage to the truck.

Children being driven to and from school, or anywhere in fact, deserve to have safe transport and a compis mentis driver, aware he is carrying precious cargo.

Taking the kids to a school isn't a time trial, though many of the Songtaew drivers seem to think otherwise.

No excuses. The Driver needs to pay the price for what he has done.

Fall asleep behind wheel in daytime Thats great So what is the charge? Driving without due care and attention Oh that should be heavy fine 500 baht and you can drive again tomorrow sir Those vehicles are overloaded and the drivers are really bad  Like giving somebody a hand grenade and saying pull the pin see what happens Poor kids think they are safe Wrong Maybe they should change the name of these buses to hearses 

People born with the common sense gene will pull over and walk around for a short while to get rid of the drowsiness. Unfortunately, a lot of Thai drivers don't have it.

My sympathy goes to those poor little kids.

Edited by jesimps

10 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I am impressed that the truck was equipped with what appears to be a closeable tail gate. Not many are, the students are often hanging off the back rails.

songtaew.jpg

It slammed shut on impact. ( this is a TV Thai bashing thought) )

Edited by sandgroper2
add