Media must boost its standards to win back public trust: Thepchai

webfact

Media must boost its standards to win back public trust: Thepchai
By Wasamon Audjarint
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Though self-regulation should be maintained as best practice, the media should also elevate its standards to boost declining public trust and ensure freedom of press, the panel on the government’s upcoming bill on media said.

The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand held the “Regulating the Media in Thailand” panel last night.

The bill on media, proposed by the National Reform Steering Assembly, will set up a media council comprised of some 13 members, which would include a couple of ministerial permanent secretaries. The council will be authorised to issue or revoke the yet-to-be-invented media licence.

Thepchai Yong, president of the Thai Broadcast Journalist Association, has led 30 media organisations in a fight against the bill draft out of concern that it would allow political powers to interfere in media affairs. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30307110

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-24

"Thepchai Yong, president of the Thai Broadcast Journalist Association, has led 30 media organisations in a fight against the bill draft out of concern that it would allow political powers to interfere in media affairs."

Very valid concern. Bit late though. Thai Government has always interfered with the media.

They are an Intenational laughing stock, but manage to keep the sheep here quiet by preventing the media from independently and truthfully doing their job.

farang have no faith in Thai Media, and slowly the locals are getting that too.

I have been handing in UK Newspapers to a Bangkok prision for a long time every month.

I can no longer do so because "UK newspapers don't say nice things about Thailand."

Sorry, but the truth is far more important than a Utopian pile of BS.

I have found both 'The Nation' and Bangkok Post' to be quite credible and unbiased reporters, and have been quite surprised by their frequent criticism of the government and bureaucracy where such criticism is deserved. Give them a break.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

the media should also elevate its standards to boost declining public trust and ensure freedom of press

No, this is not about standards but about credible reporting. That requires investigative and analytical journalism. It requires courage to oppose government obstruction to get to the truth.

The people need to be shown that having a freedom of the press safeguards the people's freedom of expression by providing them with verifiable and /or speculative (labelled as such) information to draw their own conclusions in a free and open society.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The council will be authorised to issue or revoke the yet-to-be-invented media licence.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

and ensure freedom of press,

Try to explain these contrary to a bright 14 year old and ask, if these two things could ever work well together. And if you want to make confusion complete add the fact this happens under a junta. I asked my daughter her reply was: there is no such thing as licensed freedom of speech...

I have found both 'The Nation' and Bangkok Post' to be quite credible and unbiased reporters, and have been quite surprised by their frequent criticism of the government and bureaucracy where such criticism is deserved. Give them a break.

Wait until the licenses are issued...

7 hours ago, webfact said:

elevate its standards to boost declining public trust and ensure freedom of press, the panel on the government’s upcoming bill on media said.

I don't see any declining public trust in fact I see the opposite. Is this just another avenue of trying to shill their bill through? 

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

The people need to be shown that having a freedom of the press safeguards the people's freedom of expression by providing them with verifiable and /or speculative (labelled as such) information to draw their own conclusions in a free and open society.

Need but never get. Its these very safeguards that are under attack. Goose stepping uniformity is the order of the day. The party line prevails. 

Trust in the media? Small bikkies compared to the need for trust in current authorities, public administration or service of any kind. A bunch of armed forces dump  a legally-elected government, proceed to change any rules that support personal freedoms, hound down and harass any vocal opposition to their authority or power.  and then someone decides to strangle the local press.  Why not? Seems quite logical under the circumstances.  Quite possibly we'll all be wearing uniforms and short back and sides just to "fit in" soon.

4 hours ago, Saladin said:

There's the rub. Criticism should be reserved for the Red side of the political spectrum. Balanced reporting is against the spirit of reconciliation.

36 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes these Trump green shoots are sprouting up all over the place. 

Poor old DT in trouble again, but can't for the life of me see what he has to do with this thread. Bit like "But but Thaksin....", only now it's "But but Trump....".

Edited by jesimps

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

Poor old DT in trouble again, but can't for the life of me see what he has to do with this thread. Bit like "But but Thaksin....".

No problem old chap only to glad to explain. Headline quote 

Media must boost its standards to win back public trust: 

ergo the media in the US is accused by Trump of false truths ergo here media must boosts standards according to Prayuth soooo how are we doing???