How often do you Drive under the Influence? In Thailand legal limit 0.0

joeyg

How often do you drive under the influence?  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I tried several times to establish a poll but it's not working.  So hope it's ok to try this?

How often do you Drive under the Influence (of drugs and or alcohol. Please specify)? In Thailand legal limit 0.0

1 Never

2 Rarely (Maybe on Holidays)

3 Weekends

4 Only after watching Football games

5 Daily

6 Really never give a thought to who I might harm or kill after a few pints

Never - almost 100%....

At times I've been handed a beer when out & about and drink about half - so driving back would be above the 0.0....

Other times when knowing I'd be in town maybe grabbing some drinks I'd get a room first, then stay the night....

I remember once I'd driven after a couple & got stopped on a night road block - but they waved me through after asking where I was going.....

Scared me & didn't do it again...

Edited by pgrahmm

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Has the law changed recently?

From wiki:- "Thailand: 0 for professional or commercial drivers, 0.05% for all other drivers." (Same as Scotland, lower than England [.08]).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_law_by_country#Southeast_Asia

A friend of mine who owns a bar here just got a DUI to the tune of a night in jail, his scooter impounded a 15,000 bhat fine.  he told me it was now 0.0  However I think if one is honest the question is easy to answer in most cases even if it is 0.05...

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OK, I've set up the Poll. Voter names are NOT public.

Please let's keep it civil or I will close this.

Thank you.

And your right my friend was wrong it is 0 for pros and 0.05 for amateurs 

One pint of Heineken, probably puts me near the line (105kg of Brit) and I will drive.

Any more and the car stays in the Park & Ride (I pay the overnight fine) or the office car park. Taxi both ways cheaper than the DUI penalty.

8 minutes ago, samsensam said:

never, and never would.

Honestly, I did for years as a younger guy.  Madness pure madness.   It's a miracle no one got hurt or killed. Thank God.  It's been ten  years since I've been behind the wheel intoxicated.  This poll is really just intended as a reminder that that vehicle becomes a dangerous weapon in the hands of someone who's "buzzed" or drunk.  Stats say 26% of road fatalities are alcohol related here.  If one life can be saved it's worth it.

Please stay safe on the roads!

Edited by joeyg

19 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Never - almost 100%....

At times I've been handed a beer when out & about and drink about half - so driving back would be above the 0.0....

Other times when knowing I'd be in town maybe grabbing some drinks I'd get a room first, then stay the night....

I remember once I'd driven after a couple & got stopped on a night road block - but they waved me through after asking where I was going.....

Scared me & didn't do it again...

Yeah I had my own epiphany back in the states about ten years ago.  Could have been very bad.  I learned a lesson I never forgot.  Drink don't drive.  Drive don't drink.  Since I've been retired in Thailand I've driven very little.  Fortunately drink very little too.  Except for the Holidays... :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

One pint of Heineken, probably puts me near the line (105kg of Brit) and I will drive.

Any more and the car stays in the Park & Ride (I pay the overnight fine) or the office car park. Taxi both ways cheaper than the DUI penalty.

I used to do like you many times have the pint and think I was AOK.  then I thought about that kid that might run out in the street after a ball from behind a car.  God forbid!  Added special bonus lose my Medical License. Isn't that special?

20 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Maybe a pint but I know I am over the limit even with that. I never intentionally drive and get intoxicated. Unfortunately, in the sticks, it's not that easy to get home.

Giant_Beer_Glass_1_.jpg

They serve leprechauns?

I occasionally go out but usually have only 1-2 beers. If I have more I alternate with water

and never consume more than 4 beers in a six hour period. As I weigh 115 kgs I am in no

danger of blowing over. I also keep a breath tester that I brought with me under the seat.

We have tested that at parties. The highest I have seen it is .24 (3 times the limit in Canada)   

What a bunch of pussies.

I've taken the choice to drive, drunk or otherwise since I was very young. In some 60 years, I've never hurt myself, nor have I hurt anyone else. I don't put any other people at risk, nor do I put myself at risk when doing so. The thought that you are somehow incapacitated because you have reached some limit defined by someone else is ridiculous. Take control of your brain and your body.

Drunk or sober, drive carefully and sensibly and you 'll be fine, unless you live in the western world where you will be blamed for causing an accident whether or not you caused it, simply because you had some alcohol. 

TL

For me this is what l do around where l live, l certainly wouldn't do it in big cities where many on here seem to live.

Out and about in the countryside on a motorbike ride might stop for a couple of cans.

Driving the car sometimes have a beer waiting while the Mrs shops.

At the bottom of my soi there's what l call my pub usually take my scoot there for a couple in the evening before dinner.

Edited by Kwasaki

Watch out if you have had your Thai licence for less than 5 years. 

"Thailand’s legal blood-alcohol limit for drivers is 0.5 grams per liter of blood, and 0.2 grams for drivers who have possessed their license for less than five years."