How often do you Drive under the Influence? In Thailand legal limit 0.0

joeyg

How often do you drive under the influence?  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

Has the law changed recently?

From wiki:- "Thailand: 0 for professional or commercial drivers, 0.05% for all other drivers." (Same as Scotland, lower than England [.08]).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_law_by_country#Southeast_Asia

0.2% limit if you have had Thai licence for less than 5 years.

0.5% equivalent to about 2 small beers

27 minutes ago, thaimlord said:

What a bunch of pussies.

I've taken the choice to drive, drunk or otherwise since I was very young. In some 60 years, I've never hurt myself, nor have I hurt anyone else. I don't put any other people at risk, nor do I put myself at risk when doing so. The thought that you are somehow incapacitated because you have reached some limit defined by someone else is ridiculous. Take control of your brain and your body.

Drunk or sober, drive carefully and sensibly and you 'll be fine, unless you live in the western world where you will be blamed for causing an accident whether or not you caused it, simply because you had some alcohol. 

TL

What a Crock ! Many studies worldwide show a definite impairment. That you have been lucky in no way changes the fact that if you drink and drive you put yourself and others at risk. Have an accident with the wrong person one day and your drinking and driving days will be over. As they should be.

19 hours ago, joeyg said:

Drive under the Influence of drugs and or alcohol.

Whenever this subject is brought up, reminds of UK bringing out drink/drive law,  a work mate of mine was one of the first in the country to get done and it was in the morning. :saai:

A lot people never thought about that happening. 

l always thought alcohol was a drug too but never the less how do they test for drugs at the roadside. ?

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Whenever this subject is brought up, reminds of UK bringing out drink/drive law,  a work mate of mine was one of the first in the country to get done and it was in the morning. :saai:

l always thought alcohol was a drug too but never the less how do they test for drugs at the roadside. ?

Dogs and this as far as I know.  I've heard of people in the states being arrested and brought into the station  for pee and or blood test.  I know they were developing a "breathalyzer" for weed and other drugs... 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11348109/Roadside-drug-test-for-cocaine-and-cannabis-given-go-ahead.html

In the UK they do an oral swab test. Due to my work in the UK am regularly tested for drugs this way.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

7 minutes ago, agrow said:

remember being over the limit dose not mean you are drunk !!

Tell it to the judge.  No offense.  And if you did happen to hit that kid that ran out after his ball unexpectedly from between a couple cars.  well that would really ruin your day what to speak of the kid.

Edited by joeyg

14 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

in oz they use a swab from inside your mouth if it comes up positive they send  a sample for further testing ,mean while your licence is suspended for 24 hrs. if the test comes back positive you get summonsed to court where fines & loss of licence  are dished out.

6 minutes ago, agrow said:

remember being over the limit dose not mean you are drunk !!

Not sure what you mean but l was stopped once in UK and the breathalyzer showed l was over and later the blood test showed l wasn't.

Thai police vampire doc told me different people can get different results depending on size and what has been eaten etc. :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

if you get caught here and end up in front of a judge your a poor smuck.

Yep a friend of mine, bar owner and resident of Thailand for 20 years.  Made a u turn some way before he hit the DUI check point up ahead.  They pursued him.  When they caught up he said "why don't you just blow in the thing, I'll give you 5000 bt and call it a day.  The cop refused.  The result, got his bike impounded, spent the night in jail, 15000bt fine and probation.  I don't think of him as a smuck.  I think he's lucky that he or his wife on the back or anyone else wasn't hurt or killed during the incident.  Also lucky because he says he'll never do it again.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not sure what you mean but l was stopped once in UK and the breathalyzer showed l was over and later the blood test showed l wasn't.

Thai police vampire doc told me different people can get different results depending on size and what has been eaten etc. :biggrin:

did you think you were drunk ? NO, BUT YOU WERE OVER THE LIMIT, now you see what i mean. any way  a breath test can pick up alcohol in the mouth which can give you a higher reading.

12 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Yep a friend of mine, bar owner and resident of Thailand for 20 years.  Made a u turn some way before he hit the DUI check point up ahead.  They pursued him.  When they caught up he said "why don't you just blow in the thing, I'll give you 5000 bt and call it a day.  The cop refused.  The result, got his bike impounded, spent the night in jail, 15000bt fine and probation.  I don't think of him as a smuck.  I think he's lucky that he or his wife on the back or anyone else wasn't hurt or killed during the incident.  Also lucky because he says he'll never do it again.

Yeah lucky for the wife or passenger (sounds like he was alone though) on the back they were not harmed during the daring U-turn maneuver.

2 minutes ago, johnno2 said:

How about you put proper information in this poll. Legal alcohol limit in Thailand is 0.05 for the public drivers and 0.0 for commercial drivers

0.05 for those that hold a 5 year license, just so you know the proper information !!

Hardly surprising, is it, that ThaiVisa is apparently almost overflowing with virtuous, law abiding citizens?  I wish that I could count myself among them.  

Can a poll be organised which asks how frequently people lie when completing polls?

3 hours ago, thaimlord said:

What a bunch of pussies.

I've taken the choice to drive, drunk or otherwise since I was very young. In some 60 years, I've never hurt myself, nor have I hurt anyone else. I don't put any other people at risk, nor do I put myself at risk when doing so. The thought that you are somehow incapacitated because you have reached some limit defined by someone else is ridiculous. Take control of your brain and your body.

Drunk or sober, drive carefully and sensibly and you 'll be fine, unless you live in the western world where you will be blamed for causing an accident whether or not you caused it, simply because you had some alcohol. 

TL

I really hope this is a wind up.....

1 hour ago, thaimlord said:

What a bunch of pussies.

TL

"What a bunch of pussies.

I've taken the choice to drive, drunk or otherwise since I was very young."

True words of wisdom.  Destined to be a classic.  So your in the number 6 category then?  I admit to doing it years ago and stated earlier I thought it was madness.  To say we're pussies for deciding to not operate a MV under the influence is absurd.  

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah lucky for the wife or passenger (sounds like he was alone though) on the back they were not harmed during the daring U-turn maneuver.

His wife was on the back.   U turn was safe he chose wisely not to out run the cops.  Like I said say he learned a lesson.

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

0.05 for those that hold a 5 year license, just so you know the proper information !!

Thanks for the correction.  Someone already pointed that out.  I was misinformed. Yes 0.0 is for Pros.  0.05 is for amateurs.  

The real thing is though it's not kept to 0.0 from pressure from the liquor, hospitality industry etc. Plus it's a bigger money maker as long as people "think" there's some "wiggle room"  on how much they can drink.

First DUI in California, after fines, court costs, mandatory couseling etc. will cost you about $10,000.  Thais are catching on quick now.  They're even establishing a probation period and other madatory compliance measures.

My buddy was regularly getting Photo Radar tickets sent to him a week or so after his trips to the family farm in Issan.  He's finally watching his speed...