Do Thai Students Know How to Think?

Inspire

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 16 yr old Thai step son attends a private school. His English teacher is Chinese. English lessons consist of reading and writing only. He is not taught to speak and listen to spoken English. He will not speak English at home, probably due to lack of confidence in his ability to do so.

Until last year he had to wear a Boy Scout uniform one day a week but I'm not sure what he did as a Boy Scout. When I asked him who Baden-Powell was he just looked blank.

He still has problems doing maths with English numbers as the school teaches the subject using Thai symbols and he finds it difficult to do the calculation with English numbers even though ASEAN has declared English as it's official language.

These are some of my actual experiences of the Thai education system.

8 hours ago, mrfaroukh said:

I think it is more about the Thai culture. They have learned to respect the elders specially parents, teachers . Many think that Thai people or students are stupid. But just think twice. A simple village girl make fool of a well educated person from Europe to pay huge some of money to her and her family, buy house, open a big bank account for her. And when she is done with him if she love him she stay and if she doesn't just kick him out. Now who is smart? 

So you equate level of intelligence with that of committing fraud ?  So by association if you consider that Thai students are not stupid then it indicates you also consider them well versed in fraud.  An interesting philosophy you have here.

Before criticising the local population, one should look a little closer to home. I used to be a factory manager in the UK and had to take on school leavers for work experience. Many struggled to read,write and count, critical thinking would have been an alien concept.

As for Thai students, one can only speak as one finds. My niece only went through the Thai public education system and is now in her 4th year studying clinical medicine at a university in China. She is on an international course with students from all over the world and has been awarded a scholarship each year so far, if fact this last year she was the only student on the course to get a scholarship.

I know that many will say that there is always an exception, but she wasn't, many in her class at school above her.

On 2/26/2017 at 10:32 PM, whatawonderfulday said:

Typical. Just because she was his niece means nothing.  But if you tell me she had a good figure and was pretty than that would explain it !! Seriously, English teaching in Thai schools is pathetic.  Most is American English and we all know how that is a bastardisation of true English.

The type of English used is usually dependent upon the school's curriculum and choice of textbook. I worked at the same school and we changed texts three times. We went from texts using British English to texts using American and then back to British. The Brits may have invented the language, but we perfected it in the US. :cool:

20 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Before criticising the local population, one should look a little closer to home. I used to be a factory manager in the UK and had to take on school leavers for work experience. Many struggled to read,write and count, critical thinking would have been an alien concept.

As for Thai students, one can only speak as one finds. My niece only went through the Thai public education system and is now in her 4th year studying clinical medicine at a university in China. She is on an international course with students from all over the world and has been awarded a scholarship each year so far, if fact this last year she was the only student on the course to get a scholarship.

I know that many will say that there is always an exception, but she wasn't, many in her class at school above her.

Yeh right and the next thing you will be professing is that they are all Thai astronauts

15 hours ago, bkkgriz said:

The type of English used is usually dependent upon the school's curriculum and choice of textbook. I worked at the same school and we changed texts three times. We went from texts using British English to texts using American and then back to British. The Brits may have invented the language, but we perfected it in the US. :cool:

You are Joking I hope!

On 2/25/2017 at 7:24 PM, whatawonderfulday said:

Good of Orlando Barton, as a supposed teacher/lecturer, not to understand that famous and respected saying that "Self praise is no recommendation".  i.e. " feel eminently more qualified than anyone I’ve met to speak on the subject of Thai kids and their critical thinking skills."

Flyng pig.gif

In fairness, I sense Thailand is not the same place it was 10 years ago. Even 5 years ago. Kids that are coming through university right now and recent grads seem a lot more expressive, curious, and outgoing than people in their late 20s and beyond.

On 2/28/2017 at 7:04 PM, bkkgriz said:

Love your sense of humour!  

On 2/26/2017 at 11:32 PM, whatawonderfulday said:

Typical. Just because she was his niece means nothing.  But if you tell me she had a good figure and was pretty than that would explain it !! Seriously, English teaching in Thai schools is pathetic.  Most is American English and we all know how that is a bastardisation of true English.

Define "true English". English contains many elements of other languages. It is a continuing evolving language. Although I was taught your "true English" and continue to use it, I have to admit that some of the American spellings are not all silly. Many "true English" words can be spelled without the surplus of letters we are used to. Is that bastardization?  

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Define "true English". English contains many elements of other languages. It is a continuing evolving language. Although I was taught your "true English" and continue to use it, I have to admit that some of the American spellings are not all silly. Many "true English" words can be spelled without the surplus of letters we are used to. Is that bastardization?  

I believe you can find some excellent examples of "true English" in Australia. G'day mates.

On 2/26/2017 at 11:54 AM, realenglish1 said:

This is the apex of what the problem is Too lazy and also not valued. The younger ones are taught not to  question the older ones

This does not allow for critical thinking If they do they will be chastised.

The concept of "don't rock the boat" is clearly the way students think So if they do have a better or innovative way whether it be in Math or Science

it is likely to be pushed into the background

Critical thinking is not rewarded in Thailand it is frowned upon. This is why Thailand will never be a leading country   

The concept is actually "kreng jai" or respect for your elders and "superiors"