SOS - word final mysteriously disappeared on a Mac

Sheryl

Using a MAC

I worked late into the night on a Word document, it initially showed as "Document 6" and while I thought I had saved it with a name it is possible in my fatigued state that I did not (I know, I know...but I did have  my autorecovery set for every 5 minutes)

I did not exit word. I left it on with several files open and went to bed. Next morning: Word still open, but all but one file gone.

No power failure during the night AFAIK and anyway my battery was fully charged .

I have checked the auto-recovery files, not there. Looked in temp files, not there

To add to the mystery when I now start a new blank Word document it opens with name "Document 9" which would seem to imply that Document 1,2, 3, etc are still in there somewhere.. But I cannot find them.

Tried using finder. Tried Autorecovery folder. Tried tmp folder. All to no avail.

Suggestions? This is a full days work on a tight deadline so I'm pretty frantic...

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Tried this in finder without success. (with display hidden files)

Do you know terminal command for that?

find . -Bnum -<number>

where <number> is the number of minutes ago from now.  Note the minus sign before <number> which means less than.  Also, note the period after "find" which means search the tree beginning in the current directory.

So, 

find . -Bnum 60

would find all the files created in the last hour.

If the file was created sometime earlier and only accessed within the last hour, this command should find it:

find . -atime -1h

Microsoft Word on a Mac computer includes an AutoRecovery option. It is turned on by default. The app will automatically save a copy of an open Word file every 10 minutes. If Word freezes while you're working on a document, or if the computer crashes, you can use the AutoRecovery copy to recover unsaved Word document with the changes or additions that you made in your last Word for Mac session.

1. Close Word for Mac.
2. On the Go menu, click Home. Open the Documents folder, and then open the Microsoft User Data folder.
3. Locate all the files that start with the words "AutoRecovery save of". Select the one you want to recover, rename the file. Then, add the ".doc" file name extension.
4. Double-click the file. The document now opens in Word for Mac.
5. Click the File menu and select Save As. Type a new name for the file into the Name field, select a folder for the file and click the Save button.

Thanks but as mentioned already looked for autorecover.  It was not there. Didn't really expect it to be since nothing had occurred to trigger autorecover as far as I know.

And of course I already looked in "open recent files", that and the menu tab foir open windows were first thing.s done

CaptHaddock the file was last accessed last night. And I'm getting "command not found" on that syntax.

In any case I had to give up and redo the work, but before I could even do that I was forced to close Word as it was freezing up, not letting me edit anything and spinning the colored wheel of death.

Once I did so, new blank documents now open as Document1 (as they should). I can only include that before that, the earlier unsaved docs were somehow running in memory but not showing anywhere.  I had not closed Word since the night before.

For future reference, I'd really like to know what to do in that situation - how to call up files that are not saved but have also not been closed and are running in the background but don't show on the Word menu options anywhere.

I can not help on word but also have had many many nightmares with apples over the last three years, before I was windows

today I do everything in pages do not like it as much but safer and autosave also there , then at the end can also save it as word document or PDF

Also pages updates come for free

Maybe not much help but a thought

Feel for you been there done that then redone that and even again had to redo it, it always happens when under pressure, pages even keeps it in event of power failure

Keep smiling

about to go to overnight bus for hospital and chucheep tomorrow at 8.00 am !!

OK moved this into the Apple subforum (probably should have been here to begin with).

It keeps happening - open word documents, not yet saved but with Word not closed at any point, vanish. They seem to still be running in memory (based on things slowing down, and new blank docs having names like Dicument6 etc) but I can't get them to show.

Any hints? It's Office 2011 for Mac

I wonder being office 2011 for mac, is it still compatible with the upgraded mac operating systems

Also I just googled office 2011 and mac, it would seem many  many cases of instability, sad but you may have to go to Pages

It doesn't help recovery of your lost files, I'm afraid, but any documents written in Pages on a Mac can be saved as .docx by just going to menu bar "File" and  then "export as ... Word", so it's not necessary to use old Office for Mac versions that may be incompatible with current OS X  just to produce Windows compatible documents.

It doesn't help recovery of your lost files, I'm afraid, but any documents written in Pages on a Mac can be saved as .docx by just going to menu bar "File" and  then "export as ... Word", so it's not necessary to use old Office for Mac versions that may be incompatible with current OS X  just to produce Windows compatible documents.

That's good to know. I also use Office 2011 on the Mac and might try switching to Pages after reading this thread - so far never encountered the OP's issues with Word.

1 hour ago, DMC1 said:

That's good to know. I also use Office 2011 on the Mac and might try switching to Pages after reading this thread - so far never encountered the OP's issues with Word.

The OP could also have some sort of infection on her Apple machine, when I switched from PC s to Apple I checked re antivirus for Apples and the consensus seemed not necessary, but some did not agree, and a few months ago a bit by mistake I bought Maccleaner, it was on offer at a ridiculously low price and so far so good

I am not a computer guru or expert, and have learnt the hard way, 20 yrs ago I had eight mac plusses all networked on a single 20MG external  hard drive, in an office environment, but then went to PCs, when I went to school computers did not exist, when I qualified as a Chartered Accountant computers still did not exist, I have learnt the hard way 

I like the  esthetic looks of Apple and believe it is a good integrated system, but in Thailand Apple will tell you they can not offer the same support as else where in the world, even Apple stores in Thailand are only franchised

When I have had problems I have contacted  Apple Singapore support centre and always been well looked after

I have been to many Apple stores and service centres, had incorrect advice , bad advice, but we have to remember this is Thailand and generally my opinion is that Thai think to say I do not know is a loss of face, and so unintentionally mislead you

I have an I mac, two laptops  a couple of iPads and apple routers, Airport express and Airport extreme, I use non apple phones, and have recently switched to non apple router, I also use VPN  ExpressVPN

I believe unless you are an expert and tech guru, keep it simple, if you want windows go to a pc, if you want Apple stay with their in-house systems and software and save to windows readable format or PDF, unfortunately Microsoft Word is probably the number one accepted format

1 hour ago, al007 said:

The OP could also have some sort of infection on her Apple machine, when I switched from PC s to Apple I checked re antivirus for Apples and the consensus seemed not necessary, but some did not agree, and a few months ago a bit by mistake I bought Maccleaner, it was on offer at a ridiculously low price and so far so good

MacCleaner and "products" like it are a well known scam, unneccessary and potentially routes for access to your machine. This information is everywhere including blogs on official Apple sites:  Google it or follow this thread to start learning about it and similar scamware , for example Mac  Keeper

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7135825?tstart=0

"Jul 18, 2015 5:28 PM in response to jlfbw
You may have installed a fake "utility" called "Advanced Mac Cleaner." Like any software that purports to automatically "clean up" or "speed up" a Mac, it's a scam. To remove it, take the steps below. Some of the files listed may be absent. Back up all data before proceeding.

If you paid for the software with a credit card, consider reporting the charge to the bank as fraudulent."

There follows a very useful step by step guide to get rid if this scamware.

My work necessitates constant and rapid back and forth exchanges of documents and files (Word, Excel, powerpoint etc) with windows users hence the need for office.

Fortunately I am in Phnom Penh which has a great Apple service ctr.

Unfortunately the verdict on consulting them is that before I can install any updates to Office I need to update my OS which needs 1-2 days without computer. Which I can't spate given work deadline. :(/p>

Call Apple Singapore, what you are asking for can be done in a few hours with the correct technician and willingness, not 2/3 days so I believe

When in BKK in OCT visiting hospitals, my screen went on my 14mth old apple laptop, I was told 6/7 days to fix, all my banking was on my lap top, So I called Apple, after I had bought a replacement machine to overcome the problem, at least they then  repaired the 14 month machine with new screen FOC and saved me around 18,000Bhat

I believe  Apple Singapore may be able to help you/ can you borrow a machine short term, are you in a hotel can they help you, can your employer help you, can they DHL you a temporary machine?

You need to be very persistent to overcome a short term nightmare

I am not sure praying on this one will help !

Good Luck, I can and would  lend you an apple laptop, but does not have windows and I am in KhonKaen

Ask Apple singapore if they can remotely access your machine online and do all the necessary upgrades and install the new software, or if they can not can they advise you who can do this, it could be done remotely from say the USA, so long as you have good internet

You need willingness, then knowledge to overcome these temporary problems

Come on people, this lady who has helped so many, needs help

Remember she has helped so many of us with not only critical medical problems but small ones as well

Please all put on thinking caps and lets find a solution

Sheryl, God helps those who help themselves, as a moderator can you elevate this to the current highlighted topics on TV

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

My work necessitates constant and rapid back and forth exchanges of documents and files (Word, Excel, powerpoint etc) with windows users hence the need for office.

Fortunately I am in Phnom Penh which has a great Apple service ctr.

Unfortunately the verdict on consulting them is that before I can install any updates to Office I need to update my OS which needs 1-2 days without computer. Which I can't spate given work deadline. :(/p>

Not sure what operating system you are on, but current Macs have:

Pages - for documents, which can open and save files in .docx format, and so are completely Windows/Word compatible

Numbers - for spreadsheets which again can open and save work in the  Excel compatible .xls format, and

Keynote - for slide presentations which can open and save slides in the Power point .ppt format.

Providing you make sure to use the many fonts that are common to both Mac and Windows systems I haven't found many problems in switching back and forth.

However if you are a very old Mac OS X compatibility may not be the same- I'm on El Capitan.

Sheryl

You always shoot both guns from the hip

I suggested to you your problems maybe compatibility

The consensus agrees, I was the first and only one to suggest this, and I know little

So follow the consensus view

Generally the  consensus view the right one right one 

Just upgrade the software, or buy new machine TOUGH LOVE

Be lucky and keep smiling, hospital tomorrow resolving my problems !  !!   !!!

PS my wife told me when out at dinner tonight, I am only still alive because God says I am too difficult and he prefers to leave me here for the time being and may be she is correct, she says I am too difficult to deal with, but lucky man as I am I think she loves me dearly

would love to know how this problem gets resolved. apple can sometimes keep you on hold for 15-20 min but when you get the guys from Oz on the line they are helpful However if your machine is out of warranty and apple care you are SOL.

Apple has helped me many times when out of warranty, when outside Thailand whether it be singapore, phillipines or USA most of their calls are answered on a non geographic basis

I made a mistake in thailanf switching to apple, but I have the greatest respect for their global help and assistance and with persistence have always been helped, even one time contacting Tim Cooke

Some small problems to some of us get out of proportion, but persistence pays

So, you start a new doc, then another..... the first doc; did you close it (click red button) ?

if you don't save a doc before you close it (the doc, not the app), it's  no longer stored in auto recovery.

But I always get a warning message to save or delete when I close a document..... are you getting this message when you close a document? Check your settings 

Didnt read it all, apologies if this covered already

Sheryl, did you try looking here:

Finder

Go

Library

Application Support

Microsoft

Office

Office 2011 AutoRecovery

I just read that it wont show up the filename in searches, but should still be here...

If you open a doc and the computer gives it the allocation of "doc 1", then open another which will be called "doc 2", and then you close "doc 1" without saving it, "doc 2" doesn't get renamed as "doc 1" within that session.

so, even if you're starting a doc that gets allocated as "doc 10" , if you haven't saved the previous 9 docs in that session, they will not exist anymore, not even in auto recovery. As soon as a document is physically closed (red buttoned) in a session without saving, it is wiped from auto recovery.

this is how I understand it anyway,  

Again: this is happening with documrnts that habe never been closed.

And yes of course I tried autorecovery. But ad word never shut down mo readon to be there and it was not.

My OS is old (10.8). I know what I need to fo, it is to upgrade the OS and then upgrade to Office 365.

But that is a big undertaking that requires backing up the entire hard drive first, and then reinstalling everything after. It is certainly on my to do list but not feasible now due to workload and deadlines.

I was hoping someone had a trick for licating docs running in memory but refusing to show themselves in word.

Archived