No Uber allowed to pick up passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

2 hours ago, PaPiPuPePo said:

Since Uber's basic business model is to exploit people in precarious economic situations, duping them into thinking they're making decent money when they're not,  and there are plenty of willing marks for Uber to exploit, while providing a service that makes the customers happy (who are helping this exploitation of the drivers), yes Uber should do well in Thailand.

My comment is backed up by research which references the numerous lawsuits against and exposes of Uber freely available to anyone interested in forming an educated opinion re the company.

Get real, I had a hackney plate when in UK 10 years back. Last in UK July/August this year still have a few contacts in the trade, speaking with them I know that many hackney drivers and over 50% of Private Hire register themselves with Uber and it will become more and more everyday.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people calling BS on this and that.

Simple fact is a registered car allow the authorities to track down a driver easily and also give the customer id numbers and a way of reporting bad behaviour.

I dont think there is many country in the world that allow you to do anything without a registry or licence.

still the jaded farangs calling corruption and kickbacks.555

59 minutes ago, TerrylSky said:

Another example of the taxi mafia monopolizing "their" right to exist. BS: it's everyone's right to work. If Uber drivers have a license and insurance and their vehicle is safety certified they should be able to exercise free enterprise and make a living. Furthermore, it should be my right to get in any dang vehicle I choose - and not travel with a cheating, scamming mafia cab driver (although most drivers are honest).

Anchorage Alaska citizens/Uber have been going through this same issue and elsewhere. I had an issue with the police chief/transportation director of my Alaska town about related conflicts: I proved I had the legal right to operate; he still refused to obey the law... why? because a two bit taxi driver (me) was making more money than him ... serving the community. It's a twisted, corrupt world folks.

Like it or not, taxi shields can cost several hundred thousand dollars- depending on the city.  Limiting the number of shields also serves to make sure those who have paid for legal shields can make a reasonable living.

Admittedly, it's a throwback to a pre-computer age, but until that changes (and cities figure out how to replace that income), anyone performing livery services without paying for the shield and paying taxes on their income has an unfair cost advantage over legal drivers.  Which makes it all the more difficult for the legal drivers to contribute to the public coffers and still feed their families.

I suspect the police chief had better legal counsel than you could afford.  Not saying that's a good thing, but it's a sad reality.  The guys in power have most of the advantages, and that includes publicly funded attorneys on their speed dial.

Also it should be stated..many countries have regulations and huge cost of fitting out a taxi to be compliant.

Recently when in Melbourne, Aust a guy tell me the taxi cost him $120k to set up, now because of Uber, if he sell maybe he get 30-40k.

you cannot blame them for being angry and its all over the world this issue.

I guess for many in Thailand they gotta hire the taxi per day and make up that cost and for fuel, whereas the Uber dont have the hire cost.

most country also taxi is insured so if there is an accident the taxi companies insurance cover everything for you.

I know this is not an issue here, if any disaster in a real taxi here id guess you are on your own...

in that regard you might as well be in a Uber..at least the Uber driver might help you get to the hospital..not run away like a normal taxi man!

I dont know why people are going off at this decision. UBER has shown how many crime related incidents against woman lately. So no matter who or what you use there is always a risk. I have used many times airport taxis and not once was  scammed or done in .... I guess it depends on your attitude as a tourist .... seen may tourists having this "I am better than you" attitude. Please dont get me wrong, there are numerous problems in Thailand but show me one country that does not exploit tourists and I will eat my hat.

2 hours ago, PaPiPuPePo said:

Since Uber's basic business model is to exploit people in precarious economic situations, duping them into thinking they're making decent money

I haven't used Uber more than half a dozen times, but I always make it a point to ask the driver how he likes uber and is he making good money. All have replied happy and good. It might not be something I read somewhere but I got the information first hand. Maybe after using it a hundred times I'll find a few who agree with you.

enjoy your day. 

5 hours ago, steve187 said:

how will they know its an uber, and not samchai picking up his brother in law.

There was a case in Phuket a few years ago. A farang expat went to the airport to pick up a friend who flew into Phuket for a holiday. A week or 2 later he had another friend fly in on holiday so went to the airport to collect this friend. The Thai taxi mafia remembered him and kicked the crap out of him.

4 hours ago, Dibbler said:

To be expected, ATO simply protecting the taxi mafia and their rights to fleece the public, just like BMA protecting the motorcycle mafia which led to Ubermoto closing down.  But Bangkok taxi companies can't stop the swing to using a cheaper more reliable and safe service from getting to and from the airport.  

While many valid complaints can certainly be made about BKK metered taxis, "fleecing" isn't one that comes to my mind. As long as the meter is used, BKK taxis are among the most reasonable anywhere I've traveled...even including the tip and taking the "long cut"! Taxis remain an excellent value here despite that list growing shorter all the time.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Like it or not, taxi shields can cost several hundred thousand dollars- depending on the city.  Limiting the number of shields also serves to make sure those who have paid for legal shields can make a reasonable living.

Admittedly, it's a throwback to a pre-computer age, but until that changes (and cities figure out how to replace that income), anyone performing livery services without paying for the shield and paying taxes on their income has an unfair cost advantage over legal drivers.  Which makes it all the more difficult for the legal drivers to contribute to the public coffers and still feed their families.

I suspect the police chief had better legal counsel than you could afford.  Not saying that's a good thing, but it's a sad reality.  The guys in power have most of the advantages, and that includes publicly funded attorneys on their speed dial.

Never used Uber but I feel that they are making the taxi business obsolete over time. Sadly the taxi driver has a big investment licensing etc. where the Uber driver only needs a car. Customers have little allegiance to anything but comfort speedy pickup and courtesy and Uber from what I hear have that down to a T. A better mouse trap is built and in favor till a better one is invented like driverless cars. Like rental bicycles they will be available everywhere. 

I am in Kuala Lumpur at the moment, and on arrival at the airport here yesterday, there was Uber advertising even at the baggage claim area. I took at Uber and he collected me right in from of a specified door at the arrivals area.

Sadly, it appears that the taxi mafia has a very strong grip at AOT airports.

34 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

While many valid complaints can certainly be made about BKK metered taxis, "fleecing" isn't one that comes to my mind. As long as the meter is used, BKK taxis are among the most reasonable anywhere I've traveled...even including the tip and taking the "long cut"! Taxis remain an excellent value here despite that list growing shorter all the time.

That is IF they will accept your destination, IF they will use the meter, and IF they can find your destination. At least you and your Uber driver both have  GPS with the route plotted out on your smartphones.

Then there are the taxis with bald tyres, no seat belts, and in one case, I nearly passed out from carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty exhaust system in one old taxi. Every single Uber car I have taken has been in top condition, clean and with working safety equipment.

Never used Uber but I feel that they are making the taxi business obsolete over time. Sadly the taxi driver has a big investment licensing etc. where the Uber driver only needs a car. Customers have little allegiance to anything but comfort speedy pickup and courtesy and Uber from what I hear have that down to a T. A better mouse trap is built and in favor till a better one is invented like driverless cars. Like rental bicycles they will be available everywhere. 

Keep moving with the times, lest we be dodging the horse s#it from the old horse and cart transport of days gone by

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, 8OA8 said:

Keep moving with the times, lest we be dodging the horse s#it from the old horse and cart transport of days gone by

Yes with a little luck and AI married to robotics we will all be standing on the sidelines. Pass the hat for horse and buggy fare. 

Actually they are making the drinking and driving much less of a problem. No need to take own car as the option for Uber is available. If a taxi was the only option, sometimes better to drive yourself, at least you're going to be aware of the drivers alcohol/ya ba consumption
Taxi driver in Bangkok for the most are renting on a daily basis..licencing costs less than you could imagine

1 hour ago, bamukloy said:

A lot of people calling BS on this and that.

Simple fact is a registered car allow the authorities to track down a driver easily and also give the customer id numbers and a way of reporting bad behaviour.

I dont think there is many country in the world that allow you to do anything without a registry or licence.

still the jaded farangs calling corruption and kickbacks.555

Does a "registered" Bangkok taxi have a GPS system that documents the identity of the driver and the passenger, the exact route taken, the precise time of pickup and delivery of the passenger, and the speed of the car while enroute? Do they also provide a complaint system from your phone, and give refunds when they find a driver took the wrong way or otherwise provided low quality service? Do they require late model cars that have functioning safety equipment? Do they ban drivers when their rider quality rating falls below a certain threshold?

Uber does all of the above.

6 hours ago, Dibbler said:

To be expected, ATO simply protecting the taxi mafia and their rights to fleece the public, just like BMA protecting the motorcycle mafia which led to Ubermoto closing down.  But Bangkok taxi companies can't stop the swing to using a cheaper more reliable and safe service from getting to and from the airport.  

You can't really call the meter plus 50 Baht 'fleecing'. There can't be many airport to city centre journeys of equivalent length that are cheaper. 

Was this a parking ticket or an Uber ticket? I can't see why he would be fined for being an Uber driver if there is no licensing restrictions for Uber cars (as yet). Parking in a restricted area however - get your wallet out. I am assuming he thought he could park in a taxi zone, swimming with sharks.

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I don't get it. There are ticket machines where you get taxis at Suvarnanhumi you just take your ticket to the taxi number that is on the ticket. You put your bags in the car and tell him where you are going. Last week it was 271 baht to Rachatewi area plus 50 baht surcharge so 321. 35 minutes and was dropped off at my condos doorstep. I do this every month. At Don Mueang there is a person who writes down the address you give and then you go to taxi. No hyenas ever.  Maybe just learn your simple address in Thai might help but you sound like you have come here more than once and are not an ignorant tourist.  I don't get people who have any trouble at airports and I speak  to friends about it and they don't have trouble. Is Uber cheaper to central BKK than 325 baht?  I don't think so. There is no need to blah blah blah to taxi drivers like I see people do Just say  Sukumvit soi Sip Et or Satorn soi Sip Song etc and get in and go.  He will set the meter  ( give him a few seconds)and  if for any reason he does not say meter ONE time and not loud but I have had them always use meter for the last 6 years. 

what do all these super people do to avoid the strange driver's I seem to attract in Bangkok

last time we flew into Don Mueang we stood in the queue for half an hour then got our ticket and then the driver drove off no meter ? so I asked and he said he could not put the meter

on so I told him to either put the meter on or drive us back to the airport, to which he said

he needed fuel? he messed about driving down different soi's and on his phone so I took

some pictures of his ID as his picture in the cab looked nothing like him, and he just kept

messing about went to a petrol station and got out of the car for about ten minuets then drove about for about a bit then stopped again at another petrol station and then offered to take us to pattaya for 2k   I said no chance I will give you the normal fare of 1500 baht, and he then drove to pattaya and it took in total about three hours..

my Thai missus was with me but even she was a bit worried, so speaking Thai was no help.   

I now only use taxi's who I know they are not great but you get where you want with no drama.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Or, maybe like cities all over the world, they're protecting their tax revenue stream that comes from legally registered ($$$) and tax paying ($$$) public taxis.

Why not just make Uber pay taxes?  Or finding a less regressive tax like making their giant multinationals and Friends of the Police Chief pay their fair share?  

If this is about protecting people then maybe they should start a sting operation on taxi drivers not using their meters.  

59 minutes ago, millwall_fan said:

You can't really call the meter plus 50 Baht 'fleecing'. There can't be many airport to city centre journeys of equivalent length that are cheaper. 

You can when they refuse to use the meter which happens all the time, from the airport.  

Uber is much more expensive for Airport trips as I was informed by them recently having paid 120baht more than the usual fare.

However, it is entirely up to the passenger to choose whoever they want to pick them up.

HOWEVER ?PROTECTIONISM in ACTION @ Suvarnbhumi?

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Or, maybe like cities all over the world, they're protecting their tax revenue stream that comes from legally registered ($$$) and tax paying ($$$) public taxis.

Are you having a <deleted>*ing laugh?  Legally tax paying taxis? In a cash industry known for not paying tax all over the world ?   At least very Uber driver has an account where all his earnings are recorded and traceable.  Taxi drivers are known the world over for understating their income and ripping off customers.    The only reason UBER are  restricted is because corrupt officials are getting paid off by unsavoury people who know the country better. 

5 hours ago, shady86 said:

I dont use Suvarnabhumi regularly but waiting time for public taxis in DMK is terrible.

I have to wait for 1 hour once so I decided to use grab/uber instead of wasting time to wait.

I'd suggest they improve waiting time and taxi availability before putting more restrictions on ride sharing. 

If there's a long queue at DMK then go to the road to hail a taxi, or use the 30 baht bus shuttle to Mor Chit and pick up a taxi there. The bus goes every few minutes. and takes the elevated expressway.

All Uber drivers and their vehicles need to comply with stringent conditions.... blaming lack of security is a very poor excuse!  Why not admit the truth...corrupt Thai officials do not want competition? 

1 hour ago, simonuk said:

Are you having a <deleted>*ing laugh?  Legally tax paying taxis? In a cash industry known for not paying tax all over the world ?   At least very Uber driver has an account where all his earnings are recorded and traceable.  Taxi drivers are known the world over for understating their income and ripping off customers.    The only reason UBER are  restricted is because corrupt officials are getting paid off by unsavoury people who know the country better. 

And in all the western cities where Uber's banned?  Just like AirBNB, it's about tax revenue.  

Sure, it's an antiquated revenue model- so are hotel taxes.  But I have some empathy for hotels that are paying those taxes and taxis that are paying for their shields- both losing business to unregistered businesses who have an illegal competitive cost advantage.  

And I especially like the irony reading from all the guys posting here who owe their ability to stay in Thailand to the union or the guild back home that protected their jobs for their entire careers.  What did they call the unregistered competition for their jobs?  Scabs, I think.  And they're the very same Brexit guys who complain about the Polish immigrants willing to work for less, coming over and stealing jobs...  Protectionism is great, as long as I'm on the right end of it.

Update the tax revenue models to even the playing field and I'm 100% behind Uber and AirBNB.    

Edited by impulse