Trump's pick for U.S. Navy secretary withdraws

webfact

Trump's pick for U.S. Navy secretary withdraws

REUTERS

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump's pick for secretary of the Navy withdrew from consideration on Sunday, the second time a Trump nominee to lead one of the armed services bowed out because of government conflict-of-interest rules.

Trump last month nominated Philip Bilden, a private equity executive and former military intelligence officer, to lead the Navy, which the president has pledged he will expand.

In a statement on Sunday, Bilden said that "after an extensive review process, I have determined that I will not be able to satisfy the Office of Government Ethics requirements without undue disruption and materially adverse divestment of my family's private financial interests."

The development leaves Trump and Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis without nominees to head both the Navy and Army.

Vincent Viola, whom the president had picked to be secretary of the Army, withdrew earlier this month.

In a statement, Mattis said he was disappointed but understood Bilden's decision. "In the coming days I will make a recommendation to President Trump for a leader who can guide our Navy and Marine Corps team as we execute the president's vision to rebuild our military," he said.

(Reporting by Warren Strobel; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-27

He doesn't want to divest his family's private financial interests, hmm I wonder why? Guess he is a big shot wall street type of guy in Asia. So he doesn't want to give away how much millions he is worth. He doesn't look like he has served the military for a long time since 1996, why does Trump think he is still well qualified?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

In a statement on Sunday, Bilden said that "after an extensive review process, I have determined that I will not be able to satisfy the Office of Government Ethics requirements without undue disruption and materially adverse divestment of my family's private financial interests."

Gotta love this guy money before country. At least he is honest. Maybe like another nominee he wanted to hand pick his staff and was told no and he said goodbye. 

It seems many of Trump's appointees are either not interested or fail to provide the proper paper work to get confirmed. After Gen Flynn was fired from NSA, both Adm Harward and Gen Patraeus backed out of that appointment. Trump’s nominees for Sec Army, Sec Navy, and Sec Labor have backed out; and Trump’s picks for Sec Education, Sec Commerce and Dir CIA have had their confirmations put on hold because they did not provide the proper paperwork in the time allowed. Of course, Trump says it’s the Senate’s fault and claims no other president has had so much trouble with his appointees and it’s a Republican-majority Senate.  However, it seems to be a true statement. According to Business Insider, “In 228 years of the executive branch, the Senate has outright rejected only nine Cabinet nominations, while 11 were withdrawn or not acted on by the Senate” http://www.businessinsider.com/chances-trump-cabinet-picks-rejected-sentate-history-2017-1. It seems curious to me the cabinet member appointees could not have hired someone to put the needed paperwork together in time—they are all either millionaires or billionaires. Makes me wonder why they are dragging their feet—do they want to back out too, or do they simply not want to provide the info required? Not sure what all that means; but it certainly looks like I am not the only one unsure of Trump. Now to all who will label me a liberal Democrat, please; I’d rather have Trump than Hillary, I support stopping refugee immigration; although I think the wall is a stupid idea, I am in favor of securing our borders against illegal immigrants, and I am in favor of big change in government. However, I have not yet bought Trump’s snake oil and it seems I am not the only one.

12 hours ago, mike324 said:

He doesn't want to divest his family's private financial interests, hmm I wonder why? Guess he is a big shot wall street type of guy in Asia. So he doesn't want to give away how much millions he is worth. He doesn't look like he has served the military for a long time since 1996, why does Trump think he is still well qualified?

He never served in the military, but he knows "more about ISIS than the generals."

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

It seems many of Trump's appointees are either not interested or fail to provide the proper paper work to get confirmed. After Gen Flynn was fired from NSA, both Adm Harward and Gen Patraeus backed out of that appointment. Trump’s nominees for Sec Army, Sec Navy, and Sec Labor have backed out; and Trump’s picks for Sec Education, Sec Commerce and Dir CIA have had their confirmations put on hold because they did not provide the proper paperwork in the time allowed. Of course, Trump says it’s the Senate’s fault and claims no other president has had so much trouble with his appointees and it’s a Republican-majority Senate.  However, it seems to be a true statement. According to Business Insider, “In 228 years of the executive branch, the Senate has outright rejected only nine Cabinet nominations, while 11 were withdrawn or not acted on by the Senate” http://www.businessinsider.com/chances-trump-cabinet-picks-rejected-sentate-history-2017-1. It seems curious to me the cabinet member appointees could not have hired someone to put the needed paperwork together in time—they are all either millionaires or billionaires. Makes me wonder why they are dragging their feet—do they want to back out too, or do they simply not want to provide the info required? Not sure what all that means; but it certainly looks like I am not the only one unsure of Trump. Now to all who will label me a liberal Democrat, please; I’d rather have Trump than Hillary, I support stopping refugee immigration; although I think the wall is a stupid idea, I am in favor of securing our borders against illegal immigrants, and I am in favor of big change in government. However, I have not yet bought Trump’s snake oil and it seems I am not the only one.

Well Trump's favorability polls are the lowest in history for a president so new in office, well below 40%. Many credible people turn it down because association with Trump would destroy their name and career later, especially if Trump gets impeached a little later. It took Obama and GW Bush almost two years to reach 45% or so, and Obama's rose quite well later.

6 minutes ago, oby said:

You and so many posters here do not understand the process, disclosure, et al.

You never read of people he asks and refuse.

Every person you read about has agreed to work with trump but after discovering how much they have to sign over and walk away from for a basic government salary steps aside.

Trump is looking to hire the best, Yada ya

Cheers

The best at exactly what is the debatable question. Certainly not best at looking after the average least advantaged American but most likely the best at looking after themselves and their adoring cronies

47 minutes ago, oby said:

You and so many posters here do not understand the process, disclosure, et al.

You never read of people he asks and refuse.

Every person you read about has agreed to work with trump but after discovering how much they have to sign over and walk away from for a basic government salary steps aside.

Trump is looking to hire the best, Yada ya

Cheers

Because they're patriots and no sacrifice is too great for them to make for their country. Except giving up some income.  Maybe they should blame bone spurs.