Police check on bus to Mukdahan

4 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:
6 hours ago, franck1972 said:

Been on the bus last night to Mukdahan.
First police check, he just checked my passport first page quickly, and gave it back immediately without even bothering at the last stamp.
Second police check, didn't even want to see my passport.

Anyway if they were able to read what is written we would all know it already...

I am pretty sure those on checkpoints can figure out the nationality of the passport, and can read Thai entry stamps should they elect to do so.

In my experience, at most checkpoints, they are looking for migrant workers on overstay, and usually not at all interested in Westerners.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2017 at 4:21 PM, SpicyMeatball said:
On 2/27/2017 at 1:38 PM, alocacoc said:

happen often. Funny thing, last time I was the only falang in the bus. The police officer checked id cards of some other travelers, but not mine.

Same here, checked everyone else & passed me by.

That was always my experience, until the last year.  On recent trips to the border, interior-checkpoint personnel have been checking everyone's passport rather thoroughly - in and out. 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 3:15 PM, RayD said:

There's a routine stop outside Aranyapratet but I've never been checked outside Mukdahan. The Aranyapretet guys are looking for Cambodians, I've seen them pull people off a couple of times. They've only ever glanced at my passport. Presumably outside Mukdahan they're looking for Laos?

Same just out of Nong Khai on the road to Udon Thani,But only in the hours of darkness.....Obviously Looking for Laos Nationals .....

On 10/18/2017 at 11:04 PM, BritTim said:

I am pretty sure those on checkpoints can figure out the nationality of the passport, and can read Thai entry stamps should they elect to do so.

In my experience, at most checkpoints, they are looking for migrant workers on overstay, and usually not at all interested in Westerners.

Indeed, the only two that were checked on the bus last time were Laotians.
You would really need to look like to look like a dirty bagpacker to be checked on these checkpoints.

The surprise can be more at the bus station at Mukdahan.
The immigration was checking any passenger getting off the bus, and were looking for overstayers.

Also interesting, the checks occur only on buses from BKK to Mukdahan.
Never seen a bus being checked on the way back to BKK.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, franck1972 said:

Indeed, the only two that were checked on the bus last time were Laotians.
You would really need to look like to look like a dirty bagpacker to be checked on these checkpoints.

Don't count on that rule, these days.  I remember when only Asians on vans/buses/etc were asked to show passports - just 1 to 2 years ago.  Mine was "waved away" when I offered it during those times. 

Then, something changed, and they started requesting I hand it over, and they examined it - flipping pages - I assume looking for the permitted-stay stamp.

My advice to anyone on overstay would be to fly-out.  Better yet, don't overstay in the first place - it's not "like a traffic ticket" any more.