How Bangkok Taxis Scam On The Meter

Trevor

Riding in two taxis over the same route along Petburi road today -- at 69 Baht out and 37 Baht return -- hit home how some drivers are really scamming it. Fares haven't risen in 13 years, so they are getting pretty frustrated. But Bkk's taxi fleet is still one of the world's great bargains, so I might be fairly accused of nit-picking ...

1) Running the meter at 35 Baht (first 2 Km) whilst seeking fares. Soon apparent when meter jumps to 37 Baht after 200 metres. Be observant and remind the driver to reset meter if he doesn't do it by himself.

2) Fitting oversized tyres for meter calibration, then running on smaller rims / tyre profiles at work. Nothing you can do about this apart from reporting the vehicle to wherever.

I've actually noticed a much different problem with these guys, more and more taxis are refusing to take fares...I think it won't be long until we have the same issue as in KL, i.e. no taxis will want to use the meter because the fares have not kept up with the times :o

Riding in two taxis over the same route along Petburi road today -- at 69 Baht out and 37 Baht return -- hit home how some drivers are really scamming it. Fares haven't risen in 13 years, so they are getting pretty frustrated. But Bkk's taxi fleet is still one of the world's great bargains, so I might be fairly accused of nit-picking ...

1) Running the meter at 35 Baht (first 2 Km) whilst seeking fares. Soon apparent when meter jumps to 37 Baht after 200 metres. Be observant and remind the driver to reset meter if he doesn't do it by himself.

Not too long ago people here were bitching the drivers weren't turning the meter on. Which is it then?

Fitting oversized tyres for meter calibration, then running on smaller rims / tyre profiles at work. Nothing you can do about this apart from reporting the vehicle to wherever.

How the hel_l would one know this? And a 1-inch difference would make just how many baht difference over a cross-town trip? 10 baht?

Edited by johnnyk

When in Bangkok we too were often refused a pick up. But no problem as it is the same the world over Taxi drivers are smart and they know their market. The meter only runs when you are in the taxi. So if your destination is an area where there is little chance of a return fare they refuse the fare.

You can be smarter though if it is a route you commonly take " offer the driver the known day rate plus 50 baht" and tell him do not use the meter. Cash in his pocket not the owners, everybodys happy. Been There Done That

most bangkok taxi drivers are saints compared to the lowlife trash that drive taxis on phuket , samui and pattaya.

some of them are helpful above and beyond the call of duty and there should be a fare rise for them.

unusually for me , i would turn a blind eye to low level meter fiddling in bangkok.

When in Bangkok we too were often refused a pick up. But no problem as it is the same the world over Taxi drivers are smart and they know their market. The meter only runs when you are in the taxi. So if your destination is an area where there is little chance of a return fare they refuse the fare.

You can be smarter though if it is a route you commonly take " offer the driver the known day rate plus 50 baht" and tell him do not use the meter. Cash in his pocket not the owners, everybodys happy. Been There Done That

If you are refused pick-up around 3.30 to 4pm, it is most likely due to shift changing. Most of them have to return their cars around 4pm or so. If you're going the opposite way of where their heading, then most won't take you.

I have to agree with Taxexile. Overall, the Bangkok taxi drivers are a great bunch. My experience of them did change dramatically during and after 5 months of Thai language classes. I'm not bragging, my Thai is cr_p. But it's really frustrating for these taxi drivers when they pick up people with no ability to communicate where they want to go. And remember, outside of a very few parts of Bangkok, it's very rare that they get a non-Thai speaking fare.

2) Fitting oversized tyres for meter calibration, then running on smaller rims / tyre profiles at work. Nothing you can do about this apart from reporting the vehicle to wherever.

Just one question Trevvy..Why is everything a "scam"..The money changing rate changes daily is that a "scam"??

By the way bigger tyres would make the fare less , smaller one would increase the revs.. :o

Just one question Trevvy..Why is everything a "scam"..The money changing rate changes daily is that a "scam"??

By the way bigger tyres would make the fare less , smaller one would increase the revs.. :o

Little Black....Trevor's right about the tires, quick - edit your post!

best scam I have encountered was in Manila many years ago. The meter was wired up to the horn, everytime the horn was used the meter jumped one Peso.

Far from being upset, I was actually quite impressed with the cleverness of it, and at the end of the trip I explained that I thought his scam was very clever and then knocked 20 Pesos off the price !

Look at things this way, everyone has to survive and taxi driving is not the easiest preofession !

All in all I find the taxi service in Bangkok very good and very cheap, unless you don't get involved with the touts not willing to put the taxi meter on, you're ok. The drivers are not always professionals, but as long as it's day and it's Bangkok, the chances of a severe accident are pretty low in this traffic. For long trips, I have a few guys that I found to be very good over the time and always call them...

So then you are helping him to ripoff the owners. Sorry, but that is one of the reason why I typically refuse to ride in a taxi that won't use the meter. I can't in good conscience help the driver rip off his employer any more than I will allow him to rip me off.

More than 99% of the time I have had good experiences. They turn on the meter, bring me where I want in the most direct manner they know, and the cars are usually pretty decent rides and the air works. The price is cheap and I haven't noted any dodgy meter tricks. The people most at risk are those new to Bangkok or leaving from touristy places. Simple rules:

-always make sure the meter is on (NEVER accept a quotation)

-listen for the "bleep" after you tell him where you are going when he resets it. If he doesn't, ask him to (only had this happen once)

-Don't ask the driver where to go or accept an alternative he suggests because his interest is in bringing you where he gets a cut from your bill and you'll pay for it with an inflated price (restaurant, massage, etc). Know where you are going ahead of time.

I'm not an expert on this or anything, but I have heard that the radio playing in a taxi can make the meter go up faster. Ever since then, when I board a taxi, I will ask them to turn off the radio. Many of them will try and turn the volume down without turning it off, but I will continue to ask them to turn off the radio. I do this before I even tell them my destination. I have had a few taxis ask me how come I knew that the radio has an effect on the meter, and they seem to respect me for it. I will also give them a small tip at the end as to not make a problem with them as I don't mind helping people, but I just don't like to be cheated.

So if you feel that the meters are going up faster than they should, I suggest you try and ask them to turn off the radio and see if that works. It has worked for me. And again, I have had a few taxi drivers ask me how I knew about this. When they do comply with you, please give them a small tip. Thanks.

I'm not an expert on this or anything, but I have heard that the radio playing in a taxi can make the meter go up faster. Ever since then, when I board a taxi, I will ask them to turn off the radio. Many of them will try and turn the volume down without turning it off, but I will continue to ask them to turn off the radio. I do this before I even tell them my destination. I have had a few taxis ask me how come I knew that the radio has an effect on the meter, and they seem to respect me for it. I will also give them a small tip at the end as to not make a problem with them as I don't mind helping people, but I just don't like to be cheated.

So if you feel that the meters are going up faster than they should, I suggest you try and ask them to turn off the radio and see if that works. It has worked for me. And again, I have had a few taxi drivers ask me how I knew about this. When they do comply with you, please give them a small tip. Thanks.

i find this one pretty hard to believe. more info?

-listen for the "bleep" after you tell him where you are going when he resets it. If he doesn't, ask him to (only had this happen once)

No need to listen just use your eyes.

The meter has three numerical displays:

One for the fare (the big display)

One for the distance travelled (the small display on the left)

One for time spent not moving (the small display on the right)

If you are worried about the driver not resetting his meter, just check that the "mileage meter" is set at zero when you get in.

That said I have never had any problems with this myself.

Sophon

So then you are helping him to ripoff the owners. Sorry, but that is one of the reason why I typically refuse to ride in a taxi that won't use the meter. I can't in good conscience help the driver rip off his employer any more than I will allow him to rip me off.

The driver is not ripping the owner off. The owner (if not the driver) rents by the shift and is paid on that basis.

I've noticed that with the pink taxis the meter sometimes jumps 4 baht when they brake hard three times then roll down the window and spit. Lately I've been asking them to use the hand brake only and no signals!

:D :D :D:o

LBD- Trevor is right.As you say, bigger wheels and tires would make the fare less. So, if they did this at calibration time as Trevor suggests, the meter would be "adjusted / sped up" to account for this.

Switching to stock size wheels and tires when going to work after being calibrated would gain an advantage. Undersized wheels and tires would compund this, speeding up the meter even further.

Having said that - I don't really make an issue out of the fares in Bangkok. Taxis here are a great service. They are plentiful and cheap. As a rule, I will always give the driver a tip- rounding up to the next multiple of 20 baht so as to give them the fare in paper money and not screwing with coins.

:o:D:D PMSL at post 24, I actually spat beer Chang at the computer screen.

To add to it, I find that if you use a solid coloured car (ie not two tone for the hard of thinking) and the paint is not metallic, you will be expected to pay more to cover the cost of taking said machine (+extra thick wheels0 to the car wash :D

Over two years in bangkok my experience has been that there's the odd really bad apple but generally the taxi drivers are a pretty good bunch, particularly compared to my experience in other countries. Speaking a little thai and being obviously not a tourist who has just arrived makes a big difference.

In terms of public transport I'd rate moto drivers as the most honest and least well paid, whereas tuc-tuc drivers seem to be the least honest generally and the most expensive - just my experience. the only particuarly bad experience I've had with a taxi driver here was one who was supposed to be driving us to the airport, he started on the meter and then drove us to a dark side-street turned off the meter and demanded thb500 to take us to the airport - thinking we were tourists who didn't know any better. When I called the police on my mobile and told him they wanted to speak to him, he couldn't get away fast enough.

Lucky