Pink I.D. I cannot understand.

What it's good for?
I have a Tabian baan, I have a Thai driving licenes,
what I got more if I make this I.D.?

I guess some use the Pink ID cards instead of the passports. I.e. hotel check-in, dealing with your bank etc. But you still need to carry the passport so the overall benefit is probably limited. Just another card.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Well now you can learn another sentence and be proud of it;

"Pohm mi baht ba cha chon"

And thai will joyfully dance around, and be happy,

and their face-expression will tell;

"Oh the monkey can speak".....

Glegolo

Ps... This is how I felt about it anyhow..

Edited by glegolo

The Thai pink ID card for foreigners is just a document that can be used to verify identification like the driver’s license or the yellow housebook. It always depends on the Thai person you are dealing with and it’s NOT the same like the ID card for Thais. By Thai law, foreigners need to carry their passport for identification nevertheless what other farangs or even Thai officials tell you.

The Thai pink ID card is original for refugees from the neighbouring countries Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. Usually, Thais refer to people from these countries as  คนต่างด้าว (kon dahng daho). The ‘normal’ Thai words for foreigner are  คนต่างชาติ (kon dahng chahd)  and คนต่างประเทศ (kon dahng bratehd).  Instead of the word  คน (kon)  the word  ชาว (chaho)  can be used.

On the backside of the Thai pink ID card:

1. บัตร นี้ มิ ใช่ บัตร ประจำตัว ประชาชน

This is not a national identification card.

3. ห้าม ผู้ มี ชื่อ ใน บัตร ออก นอก พื้น ที่ ออก บัตร เว้น แต่ จะ ได้ รับ การ อนุญาต เป็น ลายลักษณ์อักษร

It’s forbidden for the person with the name in the card to leave the area in which the card was issued unless (the person) received a written permission.

Some misconceptions about the ID card here.

The ID card for foreigners issued by the Thai authorities can be used in just the same way as a Thais ID card, but is only recognised within Thailand as an ID card. (One reason it's in Thai only and not in English as well)

Initially I used my passport to obtain a Driving Licence, open a bank account etc and my passport number was used as the ID which appeared on all my documents. Since obtaining the Foreigners ID card where the ID number is the same as your registered details from your Tabien Baan, you can change the source of your ID at the various government departments to that of your ID card.

You then only need your Tabien Baan and Foreigners ID card to perform any administration tasks at any government department just the same as any Thai would. I changed my ID records when I received my ID card and last year only required my ID card and TB to renew my 5 year Driving Licence. Same with my bank. I've also used it for booking internal flights and hotels.

Done away with a lot of photocopying and carrying my passport.

2 hours ago, andy9469 said:

3. ห้าม ผู้ มี ชื่อ ใน บัตร ออก นอก พื้น ที่ ออก บัตร เว้น แต่ จะ ได้ รับ การ อนุญาต เป็น ลายลักษณ์อักษร

It’s forbidden for the person with the name in the card to leave the area in which the card was issued unless (the person) received a written permission.

When I received my ID card the lady explained that statement as meaning the card is no longer valid if you move to another area, the person is free to move but needs to get a new card from the new ampher. Its a little lost in translation. 

• Like 1

On the backside of the Thai pink ID card:

1. บัตร นี้ มิ ใช่ บัตร ประจำตัว ประชาชน

This is not a national identification card.

Wrong translation.

This is not a Thai national ID card.

It is however a national ID card for use by foreigners.

10 hours ago, lomm said:

What it's good for?

I have a Tabian baan, I have a Thai driving licenes,

what I got more if I make this I.D.?

If you already have a Tabian Baan with your name in it (yellow book), the ID is really just extension of the yellow book, it has all the same information. Thais use their blue book for everything, westerners use their yellow book.

• Like 2

I would be much appreciated if you all could answer my following questions.

The Thai Pink Card is written in Thai only. The name is also written in Thai.

In other words, there is no name in English.

During banking transactions and other transactions, do I fill up the forms

in English or in Thai. Especially my name.

Please kindly advise. Much appreciated. Thanking you all in advance.

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

When I received my ID card the lady explained that statement as meaning the card is no longer valid if you move to another area, the person is free to move but needs to get a new card from the new ampher. Its a little lost in translation. 

That is actually a statement for stateless people who get the same ID card. They have to get permission to leave the area where they are living.

If you moved you would need to get a new yellow book and then a new ID card.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I can't think of a bank transaction where I've been required to state my ID number (passport or ID card)

If someone sent you a transfer to a bank using your passport number as ID, then you would be required to produce your passport as ID.

4 minutes ago, Charlie said:

It probably would not matter.

Unless your bank account was set up using your name in Thai your name would appear on the account in English. In that case it would be best to put your name in English.

Also a potential problem that could arise with using the card is that your account might of been set up using your passport number.

It probably would not matter.
Unless your bank account was set up using your name in Thai your name would appear on the account in English. In that case it would be best to put your name in English.
Also a potential problem that could arise with using the card is that your account might of been set up using your passport number.

I have open my bank account in the bank with my pink Thai ID card and yellow house book without any question from the bank. It appear my Thai name and my Thai ID card nos in the bank book only and that's to said that, in the future I will just need to show this Thai ID only for my account with the bank. If you using your passport to open the bank account, you can't use your Thai ID to correspond with the bank for the account and it make unless to the pink Thai ID we have apply.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

If you use your Thai pink IDENTITY, you need to fill in your Thai name and Thai ID nos but if you fill in your English name, the bank will request you to should your passport and they will keep a copy of it.

dentonian

Does the sentence ‘It always depends on the Thai person you are dealing with’ make any sense to you? Thais may accept and appreciate this document for identification but they don’t have to. A police officer can always ask you for your passport (with the valid visa).

1. บัตร นี้ มิ ใช่ บัตร ประจำตัว ประชาชน   Please let me know where you find the word ‘Thai ไทยin this sentence.

peterw42

Did the lady tell you why they are still using this cards with the sentence?

If you think there is something lost in my translation, please give me a better translation.

Did the lady tell you the legal source for her statement or was it just her personal opinion?

I wouldn't dare to go to a different province and tell the police officer who is checking me that everything is correct and this sentence is not valid (anymore or just for me?).

Charlie

When you open a bank account your foreign name can be used (but only in English alphabet) or your Thai name (the sound of your foreign name in Thai letters, sometimes spelled strangely). When you do business with the bank they may accept both/either. When you do certain transactions at an ATM the machine may ask you for some digits of your Identification document.  The same when you call the call centre.

A Thai national ID Card keeps the number when it gets renewed. When I get a new foreign passport it always has a new number and I make sure my bank changes the data in their system. At the moment my Thai driving license still got the number of my old passport.

• Like 2

That is actually a statement for stateless people who get the same ID card. They have to get permission to leave the area where they are living.
If you moved you would need to get a new yellow book and then a new ID card.

For what I have been told, if you ID card is approved in Chiangmai started with 6 you will need permission to leave Chiangmai because you can use this only in Chiangmai, so if you just want to go holiday to other places, my advice is bring along your passport and keep the ID at home. But if your Pink Thai ID started with 8, yes you are free to go around the Thailand for holidays without applying for permission. Please take note that both 6 & 8 ID holders must inform or reapply to the government for the change of new address.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

My wife is a Cambodian war refugee with a pink ID card (her only means of identification, by the way) and she is strictly forbidden to leave the province of Trat without written permission, and is certainly not free to move permanently to another province. Nothing lost in the translation here.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Anthony Loh said:

For what I have been told, if you ID card is approved in Chiangmai started with 6 you will need permission to leave Chiangmai because you can use this only in Chiangmai, so if you just want to go holiday to other places, my advice is bring along your passport and keep the ID at home. But if your Pink Thai ID started with 8, yes you are free to go around the Thailand for holidays without applying for permission. Please take note that both 6 & 8 ID holders must inform or reapply to the government for the change of new address.

You have been misinformed.

The ID card for foreigners is accepted nationally within Thailand's borders.

It is issued under the Civil Registration Act which is  national law.

If you move permanently to a new residence, you must surrender your old Tabien Baan and ID card and re-register at your new Amphur,

They can only be issued in the province you register your address, but can be used as ID nationally, no differently than a Thai.

48 minutes ago, andy9469 said:

dentonian

Does the sentence ‘It always depends on the Thai person you are dealing with’ make any sense to you? Thais may accept and appreciate this document for identification but they don’t have to. A police officer can always ask you for your passport (with the valid visa).

1. บัตร นี้ มิ ใช่ บัตร ประจำตัว ประชาชน   Please let me know where you find the word ‘Thai ไทยin this sentence.

No. It depends on the law, but I appreciate not all Thais seem to be aware of it.

Police accept the Foreigners ID card for what it is, an ID card for foreigners issued by the Thai authorities, for those who have registered their permanent dwelling place under the Civilian Registration Act.

It's not just the written word in Thai but the context of the meaning as well.

It is not a Thai ID card.

It is a Thai ID card for foreigners.

And that meaning comes from Thais.

These are the main 2008 amendments to the Civil Registration Act concerning foreigners.

Section 4. Paragraph two of Section 6 of the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534 shall be repealed and replaced be the following:
 “The provision in paragraph one is allowed to use for making a copy or making a copy and being certified true copy of identification card and other civil registration document in accordance with this Act for persons without Thai nationality.”

Section 9. The following shall be added as paragraph two of Section 12 of the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534:
 “To be useful for civil regsitration data storing and using, governmental organizations whose work relates to personal data of people without Thai nationality within the Thai Kingdom shall refer such data to the Director of Central Registration as requested.”

Section 11. Paragraph two of Section 15 of the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534 shall be repealed and replaced by the following:
 “Any governmental organizations being desirous of computer connecting shall be allowed to use such civil registration data by the Director of Central Registration. Necessary information appearing in household registration, birth registration, death registration or profile record for persons without Thai nationality can be used only.”

Section 20. Paragraph one of Section 36 of the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534 shall be repealed and replaced by the following:
 “Section 36. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for every house of both persons with Thai nationality and without Thai nationality having a domicile within the Thai Kingdom.”

Section 21. Section 38 of the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534 shall be repealed and replaced by the following:
 “Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons. The Director of Central Registration shall make profile registration for persons without Thai nationality besides those under paragraph one in accordance with the declaration of the Cabinet.

3 minutes ago, Robert24 said:

So if you travel domestically, you can leave the passport at home? At the airport, they accept this pink ID card? If police stop you somewhere, you can show them this pink ID card instead of the passport? If so, I will look into getting one.

That has been my experience for the past two years.

Your passport is only required for International travel.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Robert24 said:

So if you travel domestically, you can leave the passport at home? At the airport, they accept this pink ID card? If police stop you somewhere, you can show them this pink ID card instead of the passport? If so, I will look into getting one.

I would not advise to try traveling around the country without your passport. Even with a pink ID the police or immigration could still insist on seeing it.

Airports will normally accept any form of ID,

• Like 2

Just now, Robert24 said:

I went into my local Amper and enquired about same.

Reply it's only for stateless peeps.

She wouldn't issue one for me as said I wasn't stateless. I would still have to use my passport or copies of same. Wherever I went. Total waste of my time trying to get one.   

1 hour ago, Bullie said:

My wife is a Cambodian war refugee with a pink ID card (her only means of identification, by the way) and she is strictly forbidden to leave the province of Trat without written permission, and is certainly not free to move permanently to another province. Nothing lost in the translation here.

As Udon joe said earlier, different rules for stateless people. An ID card issued based on a yellow book , there are no travel or moving restrictions.

peterw42

Did the lady tell you why they are still using this cards with the sentence?

If you think there is something lost in my translation, please give me a better translation.

Did the lady tell you the legal source for her statement or was it just her personal opinion?

I wouldn't dare to go to a different province and tell the police officer who is checking me that everything is correct and this sentence is not valid (anymore or just for me?).

The lady did mention that at the moment the old cards are still being used, and that there should in reality be 2 different Pink IDs, one for stateless people and one for foreigner with yellow book. If you are a stateless person the statement is true and relevant to you. If you have an ID card based on a yellow book the statement should be interpreted (Translation was the wrong word) to mean ID is invalid if you move. The lady did not quote a legal source for the information.

Maybe she is completely wrong, I was just passing on the information I was given when I received the ID. 

Quote direct from from lady: "number 3 does not apply to you, it only applies to Burmese builders". For you it means, if you go to live in another place, get a new card"

Edited by Peterw42

I would not advise to try traveling around the country without your passport. Even with a pink ID the police or immigration could still insist on seeing it.

Thanks. This is the main reason why I think the card only offers limited benefit. What's the point if I can travel, check-in, do banking etc with this pink ID card, if I still have to carry my pp with me. I can do all of that with my pp too. Anything I can do with this pink ID card that I cannot do with my pp?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

For what other reason would the Police or Immigration request your Passport.

Immigration status?

If your Immigration status hadn't been confirmed you wouldn't be issued an ID card.

That said, I'm sure there are more than a few officials who have never seen a Foreigner ID card, let alone understand the conditions under which it was issued, so maybe a good idea to carry your passport, although for the past 2 years I haven't had a problem even with Police.