Detained Japanese man 'bought animals from Chatuchak'

webfact

4 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

How was he expecting to get away with having 12 otters, five owls and three hawks in his bag?  What a completely crazy idea.

Especially so far away from christmas.  His true love is going to be rather disappointed now.

2 hours ago, Slotman said:

So I take it you buy the ivory with all paperwork in order & it's all legally registered by law, to prove that it all came from domesticated Asian elephants? Because, if not, what you're doing is illegal.

It's not illegal if the purchase is made from a licenced/registered trader.

2 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

don't think you need a scanner to sniff out a bag of otters

Well everytime i go into a Thai airport the suitcase gets scanned first before i can go to check in....

Would be quite something if they didn't see all those live animals on the scanner there.

5 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

How was he expecting to get away with having 12 otters, five owls and three hawks in his bag?  What a completely crazy idea.

Ah, but they missed the  7 swans, 6 geese, 4 calling birds,  2 turtle doves and a partridge.:smile:

And the sellers, what happened to them?  Don't need to ask, we know the answer.  Still selling illegal wildlife gleefully to dozens of other Japanese tourists just 3km from the ASEAN Wildlife Enforcement Network Headquarters and 2km from the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plants.  Criminals in good business with wildlife business in the centre of Bangkok.

It is not difficult smuggling animals out of Thailand you just need to pay the right people. The only people that get caught are the ones who think they don't need an agent. Most of the animals sold at JJ are not illegal many being born in Thailand. 

16 hours ago, fruitman said:

I have been there many times but never saw otters, hawks  or owls for sale. Plenty of other birds, snakes, dogs, fish, lizzards.

Guess they keep them elsewhere untill asked for. Very sad, i love to see them in the wild, not in a cage.

Saw all of it. Was all open and public. Hawks, Owls even Monkeys. Have not seen any Otters.

13 hours ago, gdgbb said:

It's not illegal if the purchase is made from a licenced/registered trader.

Actually, it can still be illegal if the ivory is not from a legal source. Not to mention the price and location being JJ makes it very suspect. 

Some of the shops selling exotic animals supposedly have licenses to do but they also deal in illegal animals as well. 

18 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

I don't follow, why should I look at foreigners in prison when asking you why you want ivory?  Was it a hint as to just how stuck you have been for ideas?

Ivory is still legal in Thailand while drugs aren't, and there are more than one foreigner stuck in Thai prison for selling drugs

17 hours ago, Slotman said:

So I take it you buy the ivory with all paperwork in order & it's all legally registered by law, to prove that it all came from domesticated Asian elephants? Because, if not, what you're doing is illegal.

lpderm.jpgLP Derm, Dead 1951

Amulets like these are traded daily without any documentation as they are way older than the laws that regulate ivory and there is no problem as long as you don't try to take them out of Thailand without proper documentation because if you do then you are breaking 2 laws: export of ivory and export of fine arts.

If you on the other hand want to buy something that are produced sins even the old Thai laws and regulations about ivory came in place then you just don't need documentation as it's already illegal for us as foreigners to buy and own them!

The export of amulets is also some what regulated as some of them fall under the regulation of the  Fine Arts Department and need documents approving that they are exported/taken out of Thailand, to get those documents is an even harder task than to get the proper paperwork for ivory!

Edited by Kasset Tak

21 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

Ivory is still legal in Thailand while drugs aren't, and there are more than one foreigner stuck in Thai prison for selling drugs

lpderm.jpgLP Derm, Dead 1951

Amulets like these are traded daily without any documentation as they are way older than the laws that regulate ivory and there is no problem as long as you don't try to take them out of Thailand without proper documentation because if you do then you are breaking 2 laws: export of ivory and export of fine arts.

If you on the other hand want to buy something that are produced sins even the old Thai laws and regulations about ivory came in place then you just don't need documentation as it's already illegal for us as foreigners to buy and own them!

The export of amulets is also some what regulated as some of them fall under the regulation of the  Fine Arts Department and need documents approving that they are exported/taken out of Thailand, to get those documents is an even harder task than to get the proper paperwork for ivory!

Oh, I was under the impression that all products made from ivory can only be traded with documentation and that older pieces would need to have documents made that proved their age, so basically what you are saying is that it is would be legal to sell any ivory in Thailand just as long as you thought it was old, and considering Thailand's flourishing market in fake antiques, I can only assume that some of the "old" amulets being sold are not old at all, but made from the large amounts of illegally poached African ivory that is known to come to Thailand, and simply made to look old.  A piece such as you have posted above would be very easy to fake, even for a relative amateur.  It is certainly not a business I would want anything to do with.

Total BS.

when we moved over here, about ten years ago, we bought our cat with us

and....,a file full of paperwork showing vaccinations, vet assessments... etc etc etc, and it was in a pet carrier

thats how you move animals via air.... not in a firkin case, hidden ( which is what a guilty mind does) out of sight.

this is smuggling... pure and simple.... and I would be pretty sure the airline, if not the government ( at both ends or in between), do not allow live animals in bags.