BREAKING: Reports a large fire has engulfed buildings close to Sukhumvit Soi 11

Jonathan Fairfield

UPDATE:

Fire breaks out at Sukhumvit Soi 11 construction site

A fire broke out at the construction site of a high-rise building project off Bangkok's Soi Sukhumvit 11 a few minutes ago. 

No injuries were reported and the fire atop the building site was said to be caused by paint and other inflammable materials. 

Fire crews reported the blaze is now under control.

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-28

17022253_10155082848251487_7476299648687497128_n.jpg17022390_1654126631559897_1476785362127780680_n.jpg

I'm a retired NYFD Fire Lieutenant now living on Sukumvit Soi 26.  At about 6:00PM I saw a fireman wearing full bunker gear (protective gear) including a breathing apparatus, air tank on his back. 

He was responding, siren going,  on a motor bike!

I wished I knew he was coming. Would've love a video of that!  Send it back to the NY guys when they complain their trucks are too small:)

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Charlie said:

I'm a retired NYFD Fire Lieutenant now living on Sukumvit Soi 26.  At about 6:00PM I saw a fireman wearing full bunker gear (protective gear) including a breathing apparatus, air tank on his back. 

He was responding, siren going,  on a motor bike!

I wished I knew he was coming. Would've love a video of that!  Send it back to the NY guys when they complain their trucks are too small:)

Well that's about the only way to get there fast...i also saw loads of lowhanging cables on that useless video and wondered how a firetruck could even get there.

Do they have mini firetrucks to go there or how do they do that in Thailand? I've never seen a laddertruck or so.

The TV topic title is completely ott and inaccurate and does not reflect the actual Nation story initially reported either. No building, let alones buildings were engulfed at all.

I was on Soi11 at the time and saw the same fire guy on the bike with all his gear on, followed by about 3 pickups and a larger van. Minor incident very quickly controlled. By the time i'd finished my drink it was over.

Edited by Shaksey

6 hours ago, Shaksey said:

The TV topic title is completely ott and inaccurate and does not reflect the actual Nation story initially reported either. No building, let alones buildings were engulfed at all.

I was on Soi11 at the time and saw the same fire guy on the bike with all his gear on, followed by about 3 pickups and a larger van. Minor incident very quickly controlled. By the time i'd finished my drink it was over.

Looked pretty impressive from Benjakiti Park where I was taking in some exercise at the time.  Significant volumes of smoke poured out over the high rises for at least half an hour.  It may have been controlled quickly, but you wouldn't have known it from a distance looking out over the lake.

20 hours ago, madmitch said:

The fire was not caused by paint and other inflammable materials, it was caused by something or someone igniting these materials.

No sh**, Sherlock? A fire caused by ignition of inflammable materials? Who'd have guessed that?