Want to try some seeds from UK

I have proper Italian basil growing in an 8in pot on my condo balcony. Seeds came from the UK and cost about 50p for 3000. I think I've used about 20 so far so they should keep me in pesto for a while. They grow brilliantly and have cropped every day for a couple of months and look set for another two.

Given all the other stuff I bring back with me a packet of seeds was the least of my worries!

Don't worry about it.

As regards tomatoes some will work, others won't, I couldn't get beef tomatoes to grow. I have a 'no name' tomato growing now from the UK that beats all others that I have tried for health and taste so you never know.

the various Thai chillies are good enough for me, planted some this morning.

The problem I have found with seeds I brought from home were, diseases not native to my home, way too much intense sunlight and the long length of daylight compared to home. Good soil is also a big problem. I have been using shade cloth and drip irrigation which helps alot but have decided to go all hydro to be able to control growing conditions better and this seems to be the way to go here.

Right now I am starting seeds in soil then transferring to sponge blocks to be used in floating stryro rafts until large enough for transfer. Some of these will be put in NFT rails (lettuce/spinach/herbs. For larger crops (tomatos/melons/peppers etc. buckets with various grow media will be used with drip irrigation recycled to a tank. I will be trying Nft, raft/dwc and dutch buckets the next few months to find out the optimum system for each crop. NFT is not good here due to the high temps and trying to control water temps. Deep water culture with media beds was developed for the tropics due to the thermal mass of the large water reservoir. Buckets with drippers can be controlled by placing your reservoir in the ground to help temps. Some Aeroponics is on my list too.

Why reinvent the wheel, coir in bags is hard to beat for tom's.

You can start your plants in trays/pots in 100% coir, why use

dirt? I do us a 50% coir and 50% Klassman's peat starting mix.

I go from tray, and transplant the grow bag.

Coir from the local nursery in Korat. Bt.100 a bag, thats 3 bags

in the pile, kit does need to be soaked in a solution of calcium

nitrate with the EC 2.0 for 24 hours before use. This apples to

all coir in LOS.

rice555

PS, if you have a power loss in "aero", it's lost in 30 min. with out

backup gas pump, same with NFT. mc 

25-10-13 .jpg

Archived