Not making waves

tgeezer

A taxi tried to undertake me on the bend of a slip road out of a minor road on Monday. The taxi driver and his insurance man, the car owner and his insurance man, met up to resolve the issue at 10.00 on Tuesday. The taxi driver was insured third party only so wanted our insurance to pay which they didn't want to do. Off to the police station for adjudication. The taxi driver insisted that I had turned into him, the policeman tried to convince him that the car behind is at fault, his front right bumper collided with me midships, scraped forward to the front wing then before I stopped, along the back door.

Faced with the taxi driver's obdurance the policeman imposed a 400 Bt fine on both parties and provided a police report "knock for knock" We get our car fixed by the dealership he gets sweet "Fanny Adams".

The reason for posting shows how very reasonable the police are, they have no interest in making it harder on a poor man so unlike an impartial Brit. policeman who would probably lay down the law, a compromise was arrived at.

Neither of us called our insurance at the time, I hung around for half an hour, I 'phoned the owner who told me that our insurer would pay and that I should carry on to golf, which is what I told the driver. He misunderstood and thought that I had accepted blame so we each went our separate ways.

I don't think that it was terribly unfair, I drive that road twice a week and have done for years, nobody undertakes there, the road is too narrow, there is only one lane available on the main road and the car in front is turning in on the overtaking vehicle. Unlucky to have encountered a taxi but lucky that he wasn't on his motorbike!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived