Criminal Background Check For Retirement

35 minutes ago, dblaisde said:

I just don't want them to tell me I need an O-A.

You don't have to have a non-oa visa to apply for an extension. You can extend any of the 90 day entries from your non-o visa.

If your read the title of the TM7 form you will see you are applying for an extension not a visa.

i got the 12 month extension on the non imm O (i had a single entry) at chaeng wattana (CW) last week.  it was my first extension.  i brought my apartment lease but they didn't ask for it.  are you going to CW for your extension-retirement ?  it sounds like you've been there before if you've been around 8 yrs, if not feel free to ask me any questions.  i have received alot of help from the folks on TV so i'm here to help others as well.

• Like 1

11. According to the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E. 2522 (1979), foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter Thailand:

(11.4)  Being mentally unstable

From an earlier post, if the authorities did thorough checks then most of the TV posters may not be here [emoji19]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

agreed with jingthing; each immigration office can and does use their own interpretation of the overall immigration act; they can change at any time; immigration officers are RTP so they dont like being bucked or questioned

• Like 1

Not sure how you managed to get the multiple entry non-o at the consulate in New York. They normally will only issue a non-oa that requires a medical certificate and a background check.
You could apply for a one year extension at immigration during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries for your visa if you can meet the financial requirements.

Ubonjoe, I received a one year type O multiple entry VISA from the Thai Consulate in Washington DC and had to show the previous month bank statement balance of no less than $700 and Thai wife's passport photo. Single entry $80 - multiple entry $200. No criminal check needed. I then extended stay to a one year multiple entry married to Thai spouse in Nong Khai.

FYI, representatives from the Thai Consulate in DC go to the Thai Buddhist Temple in Atlanta every year around August for a remote assistance program where my wife got the info and the main Rep's direct line. Everything was handled over the phone and email up to the passport mail-in time. I received my passport back in ten days with VISA. We were told this VISA is only issued from the DC and LA Consulates. Maybe this will help someone in the future if they are near Atlanta and need direct assistance or info. Wat Buddha Bucha, Atlanta has a website.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

Ubonjoe, I received a one year type O multiple entry VISA from the Thai Consulate in Washington DC and had to show the previous month bank statement balance of no less than $700 and Thai wife's passport photo. Single entry $80 - multiple entry $200. No criminal check needed. I then extended stay to a one year multiple entry married to Thai spouse in Nong Khai.

The discussion is about getting  a visa for retirement not marriage to a Thai. Different rules to apply for the application for a non-o visa.

The $700 is the equivalent of 20k baht needed to apply for any visa.

The discussion is about getting  a visa for retirement not marriage to a Thai. Different rules to apply for the application for a non-o visa.
The $700 is the equivalent of 20k baht needed to apply for any visa.

Sorry to have intruded.

Sorry to have intruded.

Now that I think about it, this discussion is actually about a worry over a criminal background check from an American. I offered a possible solution for an American if he could marry or was married to a Thai woman in America before his move to Thailand. Therefore this could be deamed appropriate for this discussion as he then could extend type O VISA via marriage instead of retirement, save money, and no background check needed. I have met a few foreigners here on retirement extensions that were married to a Thai and did not know that they could have used or can still change to a marriage extension. I don't recall if he stated wether or not he was married to a Thai nor that anyone asked. I thought the purpose of the forum is to not only address questions but to also provide information that may be useful to others that read these posts in the future. Unless you find my info useless, unwanted, or incorrect, then just say so.

13 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

I thought the purpose of the forum is to not only address questions but to also provide information that may be useful to others that read these posts in the future.

The problem is that your post was a misleading the way it was written. It could lead a person not married to Thai to think they could get a multiple entry non-o visa for being 50 or over.

The problem is that your post was a misleading the way it was written. It could lead a person not married to Thai to think they could get a multiple entry non-o visa for being 50 or over.

Point taken. I will indever to be as perfectly clear in the future as all the other posters.

years ago in usa/america, i went to a central police station in a large city and asked for a letter certifying a clean criminal check; they laughed and said no such thing exists;

they did say they could request {something} from the FBI, but that could take forever and they might not even know what it was or just might not do it

years ago in usa/america, i went to a central police station in a large city and asked for a letter certifying a clean criminal check; they laughed and said no such thing exists;
they did say they could request {something} from the FBI, but that could take forever and they might not even know what it was or just might not do it

Now, a criminal history report is pretty much a standard requirement in the US to get a job as well as many other things and can be applied for at any county police office. If it is needed for an immigration requirement, it has to come from the state investigative agency such as the GBI in Georgia with the state seal and agency stamp on the report or from the FBI. Fingerprint scans are required for both these reports. The state report only checks on the state data base and not Federal. Times have changed.

On 5/6/2017 at 4:12 PM, ubonjoe said:

Not sure how you managed to get the multiple entry non-o at the consulate in New York. They normally will only issue a non-oa that requires a medical certificate and a background check.

You could apply for a one year extension at immigration during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries for your visa if you can meet the financial requirements.

Probably a mistake at the New York Consulate,  Had the exact same thing happen to me last October.  Got my O-A from New York and they had failed to put the "A" and I did not notice it till the IO only stamped me in for 90 days, when questioned he pointed to the "O" and said even though he could see the $200 fee, he still would not honor it as an O-A

New York readily admitted it as being a mistake on their part and they notified MFA in Bangkok and I had to go up there and get an "A"  on the Visa, a real PITA.  See below, but Bangkok still would not "sign" the visa at the Authorized Signature box

There was another post in a different thread reporting that New York was taking as long as two weeks to process an O-A, where I had 5 in a row processed in less than a week, mail box to mail box.  So it appears New York is having some problems.  My guess is that they have farmed out the Visa processing chore to a local hire, like the Embassy in Washington did, where in the past Visa processing was done by a Thai Foreign Service Officer  

590fcf2c38eef_Visa2016.png.4d03450a46ee25ec8be85af6d894719e.png