Rejected Entry to Thailand because lack of funds (METV)

1 minute ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Where are you getting the notion that somebody on a PE visa is going to eventually be homeless and broke?

Someone who loses their other options - if Tourist Visas are further limited -  and who has people here they care about, might make a foolish financial decision that leaves them vulnerable to an unexpected event wiping them out when they have spent the savings they need to handle that event on a temporary-visa.

Only someone who could afford an Investment-based extension - which is perpetually-renewable at 1900 Baht/yr - is financially secure enough to buy a temporary PE visa - so it is a redundant and less-financially savy option, in any case.

12 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Someone who loses their other options - if Tourist Visas are further limited -  and who has people here they care about, might make a foolish financial decision that leaves them vulnerable to an unexpected event wiping them out when they have spent the savings they need to handle that event on a temporary-visa.

Only someone who could afford an Investment-based extension - which is perpetually-renewable at 1900 Baht/yr - is financially secure enough to buy a temporary PE visa - so it is a redundant and less-financially savy option, in any case.

Then people need to make sure before they come here to actually have enough finances and not rely on Tourist visas as a long term option. If that isn't possible, then it is prudent to make your life somewhere else that has the option to match your finances. I fail to see why people choose to be here and continually moan about the rules and agreements they knew they were entering in to. We keep hearing the quotes about Cambodia, Vietnam etc etc This is Thailand. It's how Thailand does it. I would love no more than to be living on Tourist visas in my apartment on Redington shores out side Tampa but unfortunately as a UK passport holder, there isn't a cheap option to do it. That's because the US set the rules.
Again how do you know what I can and cannot afford? I've never heard anything so ridiculous that only someone who can afford an investment extension is financially secure enough to afford a PE extension. 

Edited by Lovethailandelite
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It is also unfortunate that those applying for marriage and retirement extensions seem to be herded into using fixers agents to funnel tea-money at some offices.  Any "bad guy" could jump through the hoops for either - especially with agents who even front fake-bank balances for their clients.

I thought this has been all but wiped out now in 2017 ?

On 03/03/2017 at 7:41 AM, ubonjoe said:

A return or onward ticket is not required if you have a valid visa for entry.

At the moment for Thailand it does. A visa does not give you automatic right to enter the country no matter what you might think. Entry is at the discretion of Imm' when you arrive. If they decide you need a ticket out and 20,000 baht and hotel booking then that's what you need. Especially at the moment on any tourist visa.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, overherebc said:

At the moment for Thailand it does. A visa does not give you automatic right to enter the country no matter what you might think. Entry is at the discretion of Imm' when you arrive. If they decide you need a ticket out and 20,000 baht and hotel booking then that's what you need. Especially at the moment on any tourist visa.

There is are written rules that state you don't need a return or onward ticket on entry. That is why airlines do not ask for one if you have a visa. Only a visa exempt entry requires a return or onward ticket for entry.

The discretion of the officer is limited to what section 12 of the immigration act states for denial of entry. 

These two clauses of it that are used for most denials of entry.

2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom.
3. Having entered into the Kingdom to take occupation as a laborer or to take employment

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is are written rules that state you don't need a return or onward ticket on entry. That is why airlines do not ask for one if you have a visa. Only a visa exempt entry requires a return or onward ticket for entry.

The discretion of the officer is limited to what section 12 of the immigration act states for denial of entry. 

These two clauses of it that are used for most denials of entry.

UBJ I agree but on a face to face with some organisations it's better sometimes to let them win. Done the right way winning can be acheived by appearing to give in.

I red the entire topic. Many stress that the IO might believe the tourist are working here. If so, a bank statement, preferably from a Thai bank which shows incoming funds from abroad should help.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rejected because of lack of cash? Somehow strange since the requirements to apply a metv are quite harsh. However, thanks for the report. I will prepare all my paperwork for my next entry.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Then people need to make sure before they come here to actually have enough finances and not rely on Tourist visas as a long term option. If that isn't possible, then it is prudent to make your life somewhere else that has the option to match your finances. I fail to see why people choose to be here and continually moan about the rules and agreements they knew they were entering in to. We keep hearing the quotes about Cambodia, Vietnam etc etc This is Thailand. It's how Thailand does it. I would love no more than to be living on Tourist visas in my apartment on Redington shores out side Tampa but unfortunately as a UK passport holder, there isn't a cheap option to do it. That's because the US set the rules.
Again how do you know what I can and cannot afford? I've never heard anything so ridiculous that only someone who can afford an investment extension is financially secure enough to afford a PE extension. 

Fortunately, I do not need another option, as Thailand currently offers one to those willing to make the visa-trips, buy plane-tickets, show money in the bank, show cash at the border, etc.  I do agree with something you said in another post - that the money in the bank requirement to show at a Thai-Consulate should be higher - I'd suggest 120K Baht - and then get rid of the "show a ticket and hotel" stuff which can be faked by the "bad guys," anyhow.  OTOH, they are offering "free" visas to lure in what might be called "marginal-travelers" right now, so I don't see this happening.

If one does not have 10 Million Baht to put in Thai Banks or other investments - to obtain a perpetually-renewable extension based on investment for 1900 Baht/yr - I don't see how they could possibly justify "blowing" 500K Baht or more in capital on a visa which expires.  Granted, I'm not the gambler-type.  I'm sure people do it.  And I'm sure if things get harder for some to stay here, some will do it foolishly.  It's the same type of behavior we see, where the foreigner winds up homeless and broke, begging for plane-ticket money - because they loved being in Thailand (or a specific Thai gal) more than they had good financial sense.

Thailand is not the USA.  The GDP in the USA is not heavily reliant on Tourism, and the wage-scales are significantly higher, so they have different visa-rules.  That said, if I were the ruler of the USA, every tourist with foreign capital who wanted to live and spend foreign capital there would be welcomed with open arms.  It could help restore at least a bit of the nation's capital which has been lost in suicide-trade and "remittances" (non-citizens sending US-paycheck-money out of the US-economy).    To think that you cannot stay there, but someone can illegally do so, while preventing a citizen from having a career while doing so, is truly maddening.

The point of mentioning the other countries - Vietnam, Cambodia, The Philippines, and most all of Central and South America - is to point out that under-50's ex-pat destinations are a "market," and the competition exists, and includes visa-offers with much lower price-points (~90% discount vs the Elite).  If the market-rate is $5/bushel for good apples, it may be difficult to sell $50/bushel apples - even if they have a few less blemishes - to most consumers.  It might, therefore, be wise to Maximize the Rate of Return by making an offer at $10/bushel.  That is exactly what allowing serial Tourist Visas does - maintaining Tourist Visas costs about double the cost of keeping a visa in Cambodia, The Philippines, etc.  It's not ideal, but it does keep Thailand from losing that market-segment, entirely.

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

I have the Elite card/PE visa. What is to stop Immigration from rejecting me for coming to Thailand "too many times", not holding sufficient funds or not having Hotel Bookings (I stay

in my own Condo)? The PE visa IS a tourist visa, with the capriciousness and arbitrary nature of these refusals perhaps I should start carrying the Bht 20.000 cash? Another nuisance.

Entry is at the discretion of the IO but I have never heard of a country that blocks valid visa holders except the US. Not the recent debacle but when  relatively high profile foreign academics 

or journalists are suddenly barred entry because the US seeks to silence them, but this is strictly for political reasons.

47 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

I have the Elite card/PE visa. What is to stop Immigration from rejecting me for coming to Thailand "too many times", not holding sufficient funds or not having Hotel Bookings (I stay

in my own Condo)? The PE visa IS a tourist visa, with the capriciousness and arbitrary nature of these refusals perhaps I should start carrying the Bht 20.000 cash? Another nuisance.

Entry is at the discretion of the IO but I have never heard of a country that blocks valid visa holders except the US. Not the recent debacle but when  relatively high profile foreign academics 

or journalists are suddenly barred entry because the US seeks to silence them, but this is strictly for political reasons.

I don't think a PE holder would come into, lets call it 'the target area' A PE holder would be perceived as rich and doesn't need to work etc etc whereas Joe Soap on his umpteenth holiday visa with very little time between entries is obviously, at the moment, being looked at in a different way.

If a few more details were available one being where these people being rejected live in Thailand then rejection on suspected of working might, note might, be attributed to suspicion of being involved in the bar business, read Pattaya. Digital nomads, read Khaosan Road area.

I'm not saying that's what it is, just what it might be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 0:48 PM, Flustered said:

Also, we use currency cards,. Dead easy to use, no fraud possible and able to withdraw cash at any ATM machine or bank.

I'm guessing that "currency cards:" are a British term for what in the US are called "pre-paid gift cards" or "pre-paid Visa cards"?

Edited by JimmyJ