Dutch man stabbed by Thai men after road rage fight on Samui

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, Kabula said:

So much anger in the world...

Can't people just get along? 

Great weather here, incredible food, attractions, nature,  entertainment everywhere, beautiful sexy women, waiting for someone to say hello!  :partytime2:

And, yet there seems to be regular visits to the emergency rooms and many vacations end in the morgue. 

When you consider the many many millions behind bars in the world, the many millions who have lost everything from wars, natural disasters, terminal  diseases, and loss of jobs; it would seem that people would be more appreciative of what they have, their health and where they are on planet earth. 

To discard many years of one's life in a Thai, hell, prison while living in one of the most desirable countries in the world; for a burst of anger, is hard for me to get my head around.  Better to smile and walk away ?and make a new friend! ?

Sometimes I have navigational bursts of anger but the smile and walk away is the best. A good friend once told me "kill em with kindness" always worked for me. Sometimes I try and reach out to flamers on here but its tough. You could get singed

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yeah! I had thought for a while of a word that described their behaviour in these situations, but it had eluded me.

Your post gave me the Revelation I had been seeking. Hyena!

Pack of Soi dogs, pack of wolves, pack of Hyenas, pack of Thai"boys" all the same!

39 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Better don't compete with Thais. They never wanted to learn how to be competitive and friendly together.

Rather smile outside and laugh inside.

T.I.T.  Welcome to the most friendly tourist destination of the world. At the end of the day, they will escape prison probably.  

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yeah! I had thought for a while of a word that described their behaviour in these situations, but it had eluded me.

Your post gave me the Revelation I had been seeking. Hyena!

Please don't shame hyenas.

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

A one on one fight just never happens here does it? At home two guys have a row, they take it out side and everyone lets them have a go until someone has had enough.

Here, pack mentality, and when you are losing, cheat.

Morals are the very fabric of society, and the lack of them here says volumes for the mindset.

Land of smiles? Land of a stab and a pack beating, might be more appropriate, though TAT might have some problems putting that in their brochures.

Hey darkside, sorry to go against the grain, but no one back home ever went one on one against me. I bounced in bars and the honor thing is just a memory in my book. Today people have more of a wolf pack mentality. I really don't like cowards be they of any nationality, but honor is a thing of the past... it really sucks and people now don't stop when a guy is down. They just keep kicking until life is knocked out. 

13 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Same as the Iranian that was shot in the nightclub in Bkk a year ago. The Thai man was losing the fight so said that he had to pull out his gun and shot him to make sure he won. 

They have big issues with losing..... to a Westerner.... in front of other Thais.

They rather kill the other person instead. 

:sad:

If this really goes international maybe the Thais can find some Burmese. 

They also have issues with blaming other Thais for wrongdoings.... 

It is not only loosing to Thais.  There was a gun fight in one of the pubs on Samui a while back, involving only Thais, who started fighting, but as one party started to loose, out came the guns, on both side and one side were off-duty police!

13 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Same as the Iranian that was shot in the nightclub in Bkk a year ago. The Thai man was losing the fight so said that he had to pull out his gun and shot him to make sure he won. 

They have big issues with losing..... to a Westerner.... in front of other Thais.

They rather kill the other person instead. 

:sad:

If this really goes international maybe the Thais can find some Burmese. 

They also have issues with blaming other Thais for wrongdoings.... 

Blame Thai mothers who ALL pamper to and worship  their sons, even at the expense of their daughters.  Their beautiful little boys , who never do any wrong grow up into men like this.  Gutless face saving arsholes.

A Dutch man? ... named Kazemi SolarLeibowitz ? ...Kazemi is an Iranian first name. 

maybe it speaks about this ending in a  fight ?...

...  I loved this country  the Netherlands, I thought Dutchpeople were the most hospitable and friendly people .

maybe it could be taken as an excuse for my political incorrectness ?:smile:

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

And therein lies the answer. This guy looks like he can handle himself and more than likely has in the past. Sometimes when your burly you can assess a situation the wrong way. As a small guy I got used to RUNNING!! Always bring a knife to a fist fight just in case. I am sure if the Dutchman had a knife they could have produced a gun in short order. 

He probably expected a fair fight.  That's the best way to die.

52 minutes ago, Kabula said:

So much anger in the world...

Can't people just get along? 

Great weather here, incredible food, attractions, nature,  entertainment everywhere, beautiful sexy women, waiting for someone to say hello!  :partytime2:

And, yet there seems to be regular visits to the emergency rooms and many vacations end in the morgue. 

When you consider the many many millions behind bars in the world, the many millions who have lost everything from wars, natural disasters, terminal  diseases, and loss of jobs; it would seem that people would be more appreciative of what they have, their health and where they are on planet earth. 

To discard many years of one's life in a Thai, hell, prison while living in one of the most desirable countries in the world; for a burst of anger, is hard for me to get my head around.  Better to smile and walk away ?and make a new friend! ?

Your looking at the world through farang eyes.Maybe it's not so rosy for the Thais.No excuse of course but if you were poor with not much education and no future and you see farangs drink in an hour what they take all day to earn,then maybe you would be a bit angry as well' These lads are full of testosterone  and they have no where to release it and sometimes it bubbles over very quickly.They don't know that  we work 50 weeks of the year to get our holiday and we have bills to pay as well.All they see is 2 week millionaires.We have labour laws to protect us in our pay rates but most Thais have nothing like this and get screw over by there own people .It all adds to the frustration.Youth unemployment is a big problem in most countries around the world and it will be coming to us in the next 10 years as robots take over the mundane jobs.Everybody can't have a uni degree and even then there is not enough jobs to go around.They are well educated but can't get a job,frustration sets in.Contract work is bad as they can't get steady jobs to save money for car and house,this is a big problem in Aust.Uni graduates working in hospitality and very soon at 25 you are too old to get the job in your field,Big biz chasing big profits and the following bonus's are to blame,no moral conscience at all .And they have govts in their pocket,so nothing changes.In the next 10 years i predict the have nots will rise up and there will be civil unrest in many western countries,The army and police will be used against us,but once it starts it wont stop.Romania is a prime example,dodgy laws put through in the early hours but the good people stood up.China and India have the same problem,very well educated youth with no jobs.The elites are from old school families and don't give a rat's.The west is too soft and complacent but the time is coming.Trump was a symbol of pent up frustration but definately not the answer,but his supporters couldn't care less,they were sick of the status quo and don'care if they bring it all crashing to the ground.Dark times ahead lads.

50 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

A Dutch man? ... named Kazemi SolarLeibowitz ? ...Kazemi is an Iranian first name. 

maybe it speaks about this ending in a  fight ?...

...  I loved this country  the Netherlands, I thought Dutchpeople were the most hospitable and friendly people .

maybe it could be taken as an excuse for my political incorrectness ?:smile:

I too love Holland , went there in '68 and still have a friend there married to a Thai lady.  When the OP pic appeared I thought he ain't Dutch but then there are many Brits that have dodgy names and possibly look like this geezer.

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

I hope you don't own any Toshiba stock. Bummer

Of course tourism is hurting, and hurting badly (not just because of these particular incidences)  because the authorities simply won't crack down on these vicious thugs.  They know they will get nothing more than a slap on the wrists and as the months' years go by these incidents, once few and far between become more commonplace.  And in these times with social media news spreads all over the place in no time, creating a very bad image of the country.

Such a shame because all it needs is a strong deterrent and a police force willing to enforce it.

Edited by carmine

2 minutes ago, carmine said:

Of course tourism is hurting, and hurting badly (not just because of these particular incidences)  because the authorities simply won't crack down on these vicious thugs.  They know they will get nothing more than a slap on the wrists and as the months' years go by these incidents, once few and far between become more commonplace.  And in these times with social media news spreads all over the place in no time, creating a very bad image of the country.

Such a shame because all it needs is a strong deterrent and a police force willing to enforce it.

Thats why they are trying to push through a media gag law. They also have their own excuse laden Facebook pages. Its a propaganda war. 

Just now, elgordo38 said:

Thats why they are trying to push through a media gag law. They also have their own excuse laden Facebook pages. Its a propaganda war. 

Just now, elgordo38 said:

gag the media rather than simply sort out the problem that is obvious to everyone to see.  Thainess personified

The longer I'm here (12th year not counting Vietnam War time)  the more frequently I seem to grit my teeth at the large (and growing?) number of idiotic extremely dangerous local drivers.  I have to keep reminding myself 3 things whenever I venture out, whether on foot, bicycle, motorbike, pickup, etc.:

1.  I am a guest living here.  It's their country, not mine

2.  I am a guest living here.  It's their country, not mine

3.  I am a guest living here.  It's their country, not mine

I also keep having to remind myself what my younger brother always says about similar situations -- beyond our control...

"It is what it is."

Yep, it's a given that nothing will ever change local drivers' erratic dangerous behavior (certainly not the police or government) so we have to accept it and drive even MORE DEFENSIVELY -- if that's humanly possible -- and try not to get angry when it happens. Of course, if it gets unbearable we can always opt to leave the former Land of Smiles and hope for greener pastures someplace else.  And I can't say I haven't been considering it, considering the direction the kingdom has been moving in since May 2013, and especially lately after the beloved king's passing last year, but that's a (private) rant for another day.

Y'all drive careful out there!

13 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Another story for the international press to prepare potential tourists what they can expect in "Paradise"

If this spreads - and it should - Thailand will be hit were it hurts -  losing money.

I don't want them to suffer but I know of no other way to help them improve

and become a part of the civilized nations, a nation that can protect  and deserves visitors

Hope they get the scum (and will not need Burmese) and they receive their deserved punishment

I am surprised the TAT doesn't simply brand such incidents as Fake News; it works for Trump.

Yes,using a weapon is very cowardly but this happens all over the world and I was attacked in my youth by seven or eight guys  more than once because I was in the wrong area so let's not turn it into a them and us situation.Plenty of cowards back home in Scotland who like to give it the hard man crap when they are tooled up or mob handed,the days of one against one with no weapons are long gone just about everywhere now,plenty of murders and serious assaults back home because somebody was losing a scrap but couldn't face losing.Hope the guy has a speedy recovery.