Dutch man stabbed by Thai men after road rage fight on Samui

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Sometimes I have navigational bursts of anger but the smile and walk away is the best. A good friend once told me "kill em with kindness" always worked for me. Sometimes I try and reach out to flamers on here but its tough. You could get singed

The youth don't think,they act without regard to concequenses.That comes with experience and a few beatings.I'll admit i learn't the hard way.Many blues in my youth,i used to just go off.Bouncers had trouble controlling me because the law,thankfully said they couldn't thrash me.My problem was alcohol.My mate bought me up on the hippy trail in 76,from Bali to London,overland, and it was the best time of my life.I saw how other people lived with a lot less than me and have had the travel bug ever since.They treated me as a guest in their country,Afghanistan,Iraq,Iran,Turkey,GreeceIndia and all of SE Asia.Nepal.Europe and Uk were harder,people were on the treadmill and in the rat race.This all changed my life,slowed my drinking and hardly went out saving money for the next trip.I have great empathy for all the people up this way.I have just got back from Cambo and every body i asked hates Hun Sen with a passion,but they can't do anything about it.They have had enough of civil war.All the surounding countries are the same problem,treated very poorly by the ruling class.At least in Thailand progress is being made,ever so slowly.All things being equal Thailand should be the power house of the area.I listen to Khun Prayuth ever Friday and he has all the right ideas but implementing them is a different matter.You can't change decades of corruption and bad govt in 2 years,10 years i rekon.What about democracy i hear many of you cry,but that hasn't worked properly in the 40 years i have been coming here.Give this bloke chance and we will see where we go.It couldn't be any worse than the Shin regime.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

The longer I'm here (12th year not counting Vietnam War time)  the more frequently I seem to grit my teeth at the large (and growing?) number of idiotic extremely dangerous local drivers.  I have to keep reminding myself 3 things whenever I venture out, whether on foot, bicycle, motorbike, pickup, etc.:

1.  I am a guest living here.  It's their country, not mine

2.  I am a guest living here.  It's their country, not mine

3.  I am a guest living here.  It's their country, not mine

I also keep having to remind myself what my younger brother always says about similar situations -- beyond our control...

"It is what it is."

Yep, it's a given that nothing will ever change local drivers' erratic dangerous behavior (certainly not the police or government) so we have to accept it and drive even MORE DEFENSIVELY -- if that's humanly possible -- and try not to get angry when it happens. Of course, if it gets unbearable we can always opt to leave the former Land of Smiles and hope for greener pastures someplace else.  And I can't say I haven't been considering it, considering the direction the kingdom has been moving in since May 2013, and especially lately after the beloved king's passing last year, but that's a (private) rant for another day.

Y'all drive careful out there!

Not just while driving. Yesterday, my wife and I were crossing a street--with the light and on the pedestrian crosswalk-- in downtown Hatyai. A tuk-tuk driver came from behind us and decided to make a right turn across the crosswalk and almost hit us. I yelled at him in English and said, "why didn't you stop?"  Well, he did not bother to stop, he simply drove off. However, there were several moto-cy taxi drivers sitting at the corner waiting for fares. They gave me a dirty look and one said, in English, that I should have stopped. I started at him in my broken Thai, but my wife pulled me away. That is their mentality; I should know that, I have lived here ten years. The pedestrian is the lowest form of life on Thai roads.

I've lived in alot of places as a USMC , and as a civilian. Central and south America countries, Mexico, Cambodia, England ,all over the U.S. ,Scotland....etc. But I can honestly say thai ''men'' are the biggest cowards I 've ever seen. Gutless.

Police chiefs on the island have ordered an extensive manhunt to catch those responsible in order that the sons of 'powerful men' can fade away and the Duty Guilty Burmese paraded in their place.

Fixed that

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yeah! I had thought for a while of a word that described their behaviour in these situations, but it had eluded me.

Your post gave me the Revelation I had been seeking. Hyena!

its  the same with how they get their  money, doesnt  matter as long as they get it and even though other people know how they got it the fact they got it means something to those other people  too

43 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I too love Holland , went there in '68 and still have a friend there married to a Thai lady.  When the OP pic appeared I thought he ain't Dutch but then there are many Brits that have dodgy names and possibly look like this geezer.

1 minute ago, Bullie said:

Whatever he is, it is NOT a Dutch man. Yugoslav of some sorts, but definitely NOT Dutch. Wrong name, way too hairy, wrong face. Just saying.

What 'charming' racist comments- just because a Dutchman is not called Lex or Geert does not mean he is not Dutch.

Holland is a multi-cultural society, as is the UK.

4 minutes ago, Bullie said:

Whatever he is, it is NOT a Dutch man. Yugoslav of some sorts, but definitely NOT Dutch. Wrong name, way too hairy, wrong face. Just saying.

I absolutely agree. Not Dutch at all. A real ethnic Dutch would have run away at the first hint of trouble and then paid a ransom whilst hiding in the bushes.

2 hours ago, Kabula said:

So much anger in the world...

Can't people just get along? 

Great weather here, incredible food, attractions, nature,  entertainment everywhere, beautiful sexy women, waiting for someone to say hello!

I'm not excusing anything, but try an experiment:  

For 2 solid months, walk out of your home with 50 baht in your pocket as the sum total of your discretionary spending limit that day.  Because that's about what a minimum wage Thai would have after spending most of his 300 baht on necessities.  Then figure these guys have been doing that for years, and can look forward to doing it for the rest of their lives.

I'd be walking around in a bad mood, too.  I'd probably also have a chip on my shoulder for outsiders who flaunt their "wealth" and use it to score all the hot chicks.

Your looking at the world through farang eyes.Maybe it's not so rosy for the Thais.No excuse of course but if you were poor with not much education and no future and you see farangs drink in an hour what they take all day to earn,then maybe you would be a bit angry as well' These lads are full of testosterone  and they have no where to release it and sometimes it bubbles over very quickly.They don't know that  we work 50 weeks of the year to get our holiday and we have bills to pay as well.All they see is 2 week millionaires.We have labour laws to protect us in our pay rates but most Thais have nothing like this and get screw over by there own people .It all adds to the frustration.Youth unemployment is a big problem in most countries around the world and it will be coming to us in the next 10 years as robots take over the mundane jobs.Everybody can't have a uni degree and even then there is not enough jobs to go around.They are well educated but can't get a job,frustration sets in.Contract work is bad as they can't get steady jobs to save money for car and house,this is a big problem in Aust.Uni graduates working in hospitality and very soon at 25 you are too old to get the job in your field,Big biz chasing big profits and the following bonus's are to blame,no moral conscience at all .And they have govts in their pocket,so nothing changes.In the next 10 years i predict the have nots will rise up and there will be civil unrest in many western countries,The army and police will be used against us,but once it starts it wont stop.Romania is a prime example,dodgy laws put through in the early hours but the good people stood up.China and India have the same problem,very well educated youth with no jobs.The elites are from old school families and don't give a rat's.The west is too soft and complacent but the time is coming.Trump was a symbol of pent up frustration but definately not the answer,but his supporters couldn't care less,they were sick of the status quo and don'care if they bring it all crashing to the ground.Dark times ahead lads.

Absolutely spot on post.

Sent from my iris 750 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

30 minutes ago, Bullie said:

What is with you people who insist on a person's nationality based on their surname. Have you no comprehension of any way for a person to be a national of a country without having a traditional name from that country? 

14 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Another story for the international press to prepare potential tourists what they can expect in "Paradise"

If this spreads - and it should - Thailand will be hit were it hurts -  losing money.

I don't want them to suffer but I know of no other way to help them improve

and become a part of the civilized nations, a nation that can protect  and deserves visitors

Hope they get the scum (and will not need Burmese) and they receive their deserved punishment

If the RTP do wish to find them and they DO, they will get little as punishment. The root cause of most of the crime here has been stated thousands of times. NOT ENOUGH PUNISHMENT FOR ALL THE CRIMES COMMITTED.

"Commit the crime. Do the time"!!!!!

13 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

The only thing that matters to the Thai, is winning.

How they win mattes not a jot.

The more sneaky they are, the more intelligent they feel.

Quite sad, really. 

Actually I think it is more of a case of them being pretty pissed of and in general not liking  a no good foreigner who they resent a lot.

10 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Sorry, plenty of gang attacks on single people in the west too. 

True but it doesn't happen nearly as much as it does here. There aren't many man to man fights Thai against farang.

Also this is THAI Visa Forum about an attack in Samui.

13 hours ago, stevymac said:

Seems to be more on the increase these days. Best not to engage them in a street fight. 10yrs been here never seen a foreigner come off good. Out number u and use weapons if they not win . Shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Trink reported an incident once where two Aussies, back to back, kept smashing a dog pack of Thais until they tucked their tails in and quit coming.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Koh Samui paradise island my a**e !!!

I live in Koh Samui for five years, very happy here never ever had any problem with any Thai. 

Unfortunately I can not say the same thing with some Westerners I have met on the island!

28 minutes ago, Paruk said:

Well, you know, it is a different culture you know, so they approach matters in their own cultural way, you know. If I understand all the whining correctly, it's the Thais that winning all the street fights, you know. So that probably means that the arrogant farang cry babies get their a$$es whipped, you know. Maybe it hurts, you know, pain in the brain you know, thinking you're some wealthy winner, you know, ruling the world you know, thinking you're some hot shot you know and then get beaten by a couple of tiny Thai, you know. Feels bad for the farang ego, you know. Coming to Thailand you know, thinking you know it all, you know, teaching them your moral you know, as if your moral is the only right one, you know. Guess it is a bit Anglo Saxon, you know, to have that attitude of being superior you know.

I guess we now know then...

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

A one on one fight just never happens here does it? At home two guys have a row, they take it out side and everyone lets them have a go until someone has had enough.

Oh, yes, they're all so bloody gentlemanly "at home", aren't they?  2 on to 1is never seen "at home".

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

A one on one fight just never happens here does it? At home two guys have a row, they take it out side and everyone lets them have a go until someone has had enough.

Here, pack mentality, and when you are losing, cheat.

Morals are the very fabric of society, and the lack of them here says volumes for the mindset.

Land of smiles? Land of a stab and a pack beating, might be more appropriate, though TAT might have some problems putting that in their brochures.

I haven't seen a one on one fight in England for years, pack fighting seems to be the norm thesedays

13 hours ago, bangkokorbust said:

Don't engage them unless you need to defend yourself.. Little guys with big knives will defeat a fist.. Unless your chuck Norris

1st mature comment so far. Why do too many comments here sound like chest thumping in a grade school playground sandbox.

16 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

The only thing that matters to the Thai, is winning.

How they win mattes not a jot.

The more sneaky they are, the more intelligent they feel.

Quite sad, really. 

Anybody who get's into a fight or violent altercation will want to win! 

This notion some TVF posters spew out at every chance, that fights in the West are like some noble 1:1 contest between gentlemen; and that after the fight they shake hands and share a beer - what a load of romantic codswollop! Talk about living the Hollywood La-La fantasy.

Wake up - it was never ever like that. Gangs of lowlife thugs, robbers, druggies, boozers were always ready to kick the crap out of anybody - to rob them, molest your gf, because you support different football team, have different color skin, are a different religion or whatever; or maybe because they're pissed, drugged up or just bored. Or any combination of these. The only thing they respect and are scared of his someone whose prepared, capable and willing to dish out more violence than they can.

One of the points of a gang is that you fight as a gang. And certainly don't sit and count numbers first to make sure all's fair and square. 

All this nonsense about 1:1, no weapons, never hit a female, is fantasy land. Maybe at junior school. 

I read about stabbings in the UK each week, gun crime is less but still regular. Serious assaults, with or without weapons, sex attacks, innocents being one punched and killed, gangs setting on people and stabbing them to steal their bikes or smart phone.

The Thai bashes on here seem to think these things happen only in Thailand. If that's so, and the West is so superior, off you go.

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Because they choose not to live in the real world. They think fights are between gentlemen, clean cut square jawed hunks who'd only fight one on one, never use a weapon, and shake hands after fisticuffs, win or loose, and by their opponent a beer. Load of cobblers.

And of course as they're superior Westerners they would just clip any Asian round the ear and send them on their way.

Total delusion.

Sadly, too cranial to describe your first group. The latter seems more fitting.

7 hours ago, cocorico2558 said:

That Dutch guy lost the fight and now he starts weening.... pathetic! Should be a lesson to him not to get involved in a fight.

It would be interesting to see how you would feel after being attacked by two men and stabbed. You are the pathetic one here, not him.

5 hours ago, carmine said:

gag the media rather than simply sort out the problem that is obvious to everyone to see.  Thainess personified

Gag the media they are working on it. Laws reporter licensing you name it and if that does not work they still have their trusty computer crimes act.