How do I make cheap mobile call from Thailand to UK please?

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Good luck trying to get a refund from Expedia!

Took me 7 months but got there in the end, that was the Thailand Expedia. You need to check the T&Cs of the ticket.

I used Skype, and be ready to be put on hold interminably, and generally knocked back several times.

You could also try the  Webpage where there is a feedback / email option.

They were ignoring my direct emails.

That's why you should always book with the airline directly. Only crappy airlines give you inflated prices on their own website when compared to resellers. Also, try changing a flight through a reseller. You get overcharged or might be told it's impossible.... or you might just get the run-around "contact the airline directly" vs. "why are you calling us? Call the ticket seller!".

On a related note, if it's about hotel bookings, I found booking.com to have some excellent customer service. All complaints settled to my satisfaction and refunds issued promptly.

• Like 1

On 04/03/2017 at 9:06 AM, Henryford said:

Depends on the network you are using eg for True it is 006 for AIS i think 005.

I have a cheap thai samsung mobile,

I use true tourist sim with the prefix 00600 then country code and number,

about 3 baht a min to land line.

HI everyone,

I too use AIS and use the 0050044 etc, to phone through to the uk.

However there are some numbers that will only work with the + prefix.  I have found this when I tried to phone my bank and some other business numbers.  Very expensive especially when you are in a flipping queue.  Cost me over 600baht on Saturday.

Good luck.

009 is for AIS sim cards. Other providers have their own codes, and generally more than one. 009 is for calling both mobiles and landlines, but the per minute cost is cheaper for a landline call. And whichever code you use, you do not add the plus sign; the code replaces it.

22 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

HI everyone,

I too use AIS and use the 0050044 etc, to phone through to the uk.

However there are some numbers that will only work with the + prefix.  I have found this when I tried to phone my bank and some other business numbers.  Very expensive especially when you are in a flipping queue.  Cost me over 600baht on Saturday.

Good luck.

Because they are prime numbers.

On 08/03/2017 at 10:12 AM, CharlieH said:

True network instructions

How to use true 006?
To make premium grade international call via true 006 to fixed line or mobile number all over the world.
Just dial 006 --> Country Code --> City Code --> Local Number
(without the "0" before local number)

Strange I always use 0060044 but still connects at 1 baht a minute on True. Take it the second zeros are not actually required

there are 2 rates for True . the quality  of the cheaper one is iffy and I use the better True number,

I also use SKYPE  but that depends on the WiFi connection ,

How is Magic jack these days ?

Is there any Web  based APP  for calling USA to Thailand etc  for free if the other side is not using the same App

THis might work if you are  in the UK or can have someone there sign up for you

Free UK landline calls with Tesco app , it was posted 6 weeks ago on HotUKdeal website

On 3/3/2017 at 7:36 PM, lungbing said:

I thought prefix 009 was for landline.  I use 004  on my mobile so your number would be

004 44 20 30248211 

You can use any prefix between 1 and 9 on a mobile, rates vary with number used. I did see a table once which showed 8 & 9 as the cheapest but not sure if it was provider specific. 

I am with AIS and use 9, that normally shows up on my usage as a domestic call rather than international.

As others have said Skype is one of the best ways, particularly when phoning some institution with an automated system. The main downside is they cannot ring you back.

On 3/8/2017 at 3:32 PM, billp said:

For AIS, you can use 005 but the cheapest prefix is 00500. So 00500442030248211

007, 008 and 009 can be used by all phones.

I use the AIS 00500 all the time , it's a little scratchy on speaker phone but fine for ordinary use.

• 2 weeks later...

I am coming into this a bit late but thought I would start here rather than start a new topic.

I am with AIS and my understanding from the above is that if I dial 0500 before the UK number the rate is considerably cheaper. I have tried this dialling a UK mobile number and then dialling the same number without the 0500 prefix and the charges are the same. Does this 0500 prefix only apply to UK landline numbers or am I missing something? I only ask this as I have to make a long business call to the UK and exploring options. (I am aware of the SKYPE options) but would like some clarification on the above. Thanks.    

3 minutes ago, Singhaman said:

Just called a UK Landline using AIS and 00500 from my mobile. 10 mins 34 secs 52 Baht or 5 Baht/Minute. Skype is the best option but a hassle to set up for a one off call (as this was) so 00500 definitely second best.  

True 00600 is only 1 baht per min.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I recommend using Skype with a Skype subscription.

I have made the link use British Pounds but you can change the currency to what currency you want.  I would be surprised if you can beat them for price without being an IT guru.

https://secure.skype.com/en/calling-rates?wt.mc_id=legacy&expo365=bundled

3 cents a minute USA to Thai mobile.....BUT

"A connection fee of 4.9¢ applies, unless otherwise indicated."

and I often get dropped so need to call again and get another connection fee.....

also get a good amount of calls with an echo in the background......so need to call back and another connection fee !

still pretty cheap and when it works right it is like calling  locally as far as quality......

4 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

3 cents a minute USA to Thai mobile.....BUT

"A connection fee of 4.9¢ applies, unless otherwise indicated."

and I often get dropped so need to call again and get another connection fee.....

also get a good amount of calls with an echo in the background......so need to call back and another connection fee !

still pretty cheap and when it works right it is like calling  locally as far as quality......

You are talking about Skype Pay As You Go with Skype credit.  Subscriptions are different.

I am talking about a Skype subscription where you pay about 13 GBP a month and can talk unlimited so it doesn't matter how many drop outs or echo calls where you hang up and call again.  (Skype does have a fair use policy and last time I looked it works out you would have to talk on the phone 6 hours a day, everyday, to breach their policy)

If you are ringing a landline or mobile in the UK, they are not using Thai internet, and while I am not an IT guru, I would think drop outs would be because of Thai internet issues, something that none of us can do much about.  Obviously the better the internet here, the better the call quality.  Also, things that I know little about like giving the Skype call Quality of Service (QoS) through the modem would help but in general my Skype calls to Australia are about 95% fine, even when calling from a restaurant or bar with multiple users on the internet.

Edited by KhunHeineken

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, Singhaman said:

I am coming into this a bit late but thought I would start here rather than start a new topic.

I am with AIS and my understanding from the above is that if I dial 0500 before the UK number the rate is considerably cheaper. I have tried this dialling a UK mobile number and then dialling the same number without the 0500 prefix and the charges are the same. Does this 0500 prefix only apply to UK landline numbers or am I missing something? I only ask this as I have to make a long business call to the UK and exploring options. (I am aware of the SKYPE options) but would like some clarification on the above. Thanks.    

The normal international prefix to UK is +44 land line or mobile. It seems like the 0500 is not relevant.

• 9 months later...
On 27/03/2017 at 9:57 PM, CharlieH said:

True 00600 is only 1 baht per min.

Current rates to a UK fixed line are 5 baht a minute:

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/idd006/en/index.html

It seems that AIS and dtac charge the same.

Skype is only good if you have a very good internet connection. Without that there doesn't seem to be anything for less than 5 baht a minute at the moment.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1

On 04/02/2018 at 7:50 AM, edwardandtubs said:

Current rates to a UK fixed line are 5 baht a minute:

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/idd006/en/index.html

It seems that AIS and dtac charge the same.

Skype is only good if you have a very good internet connection. Without that there doesn't seem to be anything for less than 5 baht a minute at the moment.

You aren't paying attention.

00600 is not the same as 006.

00600 44 ******* 1 baht

006 44 ******* 5 baht

Truemove H  UK Landlines

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

You aren't paying attention.

00600 is not the same as 006.

00600 44 ******* 1 baht

006 44 ******* 5 baht

Truemove H  UK Landlines

Nice. Are you sure those are the current rates for the UK? And do you get reasonably clear call quality?

Edited by edwardandtubs

6 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Nice. Are you sure those are the current rates for the UK? And do you get reasonably clear call quality?

Why don't you try it to find out? Dependent on the Truemove H SIM it will be either 1 or 1.5 baht + V.A.T.

• Like 1