Thailand to collect 400-baht national park entrance fee from foreign visitors

webfact

3 minutes ago, Artisi said:

nothing wrong with the locals Cambrian's paying a local rate as I guess they already subsidise the local area by local taxes / rates , while tourists, whether English or foreigners are treated equally unlike Thailand - one price for all Thai's and  10 times for foreigners - so nonsense argument on your part.

Wow, it is exactly the same but on a national level, Thais subsidize the parks with taxes the same as Cumbrian's subsidize with theirs, no nonsense there.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bali is one of the best tourism destinations. 
But there, you pay the same price that Indonesian people. 

I heard confusing infos from diff. Ppl about Bali. Some says great some says sh...

Is it worth a visit once?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Very hard to understand.  Government authorities make it quite clear that it's ok to screw the tourists.  Yet in Pattaya the police "crack down" on girls who want to implement the authorities' policy as best they can. LOS?: Land of Schizophrenia.

7 hours ago, catman20 said:vote with your feet.i will not be going to any national park or beaches. all farangs need to stick together and do the same.

if no tourists visit...Then, they'll have a brainwave "Let's increase the price to 500BHT ."  ???????

Edited by weaver93

1 hour ago, dictater said:
8 hours ago, Naam said:

correct! when our son visited us he got a Florida driver's license  and saved a big bundle visiting Disney, MGM, Seaworld and some other attractions.

Those are private business. Do you know of any state or federal properties or recreations that charge 10x the amount for foreigners to enter? 

whether private or government is irrelevant. and so is the moaning (since many years) pertaining to double pricing in this forum. period!

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Not to mention scoring the Disney discounts based on having the correct state listed on my driver's license, and hotels that charge less because I hold an in-state drivers license.

There is a real reason for that. The state gave Disney tax breaks to develop their theme park and hotels. Tax breaks are paid by the State residents. In exchange Disney gives discounts to those residents. Quid Pro Quo.

Guys guys dont get too upset. This is country ruled by small minded people who believe in ghosts and amulets. What did you expect? The best part remains that so many foreigners MARRY these people. Much more striking than paying 400thb for a NP. 555

7 minutes ago, weaver93 said:

if no tourists visit...Then, they'll have a brainwave "Let's increase the price to 500BHT ."  ???????

Or collect mandatory 1000thb at immigration in swampy offering discounted but forced visit to 3 parks at your choice. They are capable. 3rd world style!

5 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

I am not a visitor, I live here, but in any event, no Parks Dept will be collecting B400 from me

In her eyes you are a "long time visitor"  I've lived here permanently for 9 years, 8 years on a retirement visa which I still have to renew each year & do the 90 day check... We may like to think of ourselves as "expats" but they have a different vision of who we are.

We are long term tourists, almost any other country would have afforded you at least residency for free, not here you get nothing for free.

4 minutes ago, carabaothai said:

Bali is one of the best tourism destinations. 

But there, you pay the same price that Indonesian people. 

Nonsense, you're making things up!  Even the hotels have dual pricing in Bali.  Safari Legend is buy one get one free for Indonesians, Waterbom is $26 for foreigners and $18 for Indonesians.  Throughout Indonesia there is dual pricing, the national parks charge 10x for foreigners, Borobudur is 15,000 RP for Indonesians and $20 for foreigners.

29 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

What a load of political gobbledegook, she would do well writing for that great UK TV series 'Yes Minister' What the hell has the number of ferries visiting the islands got to do with Park Entrance Fee's ?

The recent dispute that she is responding to began with the ferry operators complaining about dual pricing, ferries that take tourists to islands in national parks.

12 minutes ago, SomtamSally said:

Nonsense, Thailand make it very easy for retirees to live here.

Do you think a Thai could retire to your country on a meagre pension?

They'd get a bus pass etc if they did!

20 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

In her eyes you are a "long time visitor"  I've lived here permanently for 9 years, 8 years on a retirement visa which I still have to renew each year & do the 90 day check... We may like to think of ourselves as "expats" but they have a different vision of who we are.

We are long term tourists, almost any other country would have afforded you at least residency for free, not here you get nothing for free.

What does expat mean to you?  I think it means someone who plans to only be temporarily in the country, generally for work, by the sounds of it you more think of yourself as an immigrant than an expat.  And what country gives residency for free?

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

Same in Victoria, free even for Thais.  Took my wife down the Great Ocean Road and to the Otway National Park, absolutely beautiful and pristine.  My wife asked how much and I said free.  She was stunned and asked how do they make money?  I said it is a National Park and not a business, it's like the beaches and nobody owns them, they belong to everyone on the planet.

In Australia they even had free running gas-bbq's in the parks...just press the button and the thing starts to burn! All free.

For real holidays i sure can recommended it, beautifull nature, good roads, kind people, high standards, real police....i don't understand why Aussies come to Thailand at all.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Who is really equal? The only real equalizer in this world is cash, and power. Do you really think a slum dweller in Klong Toey, or in Bombay is equal, on any level? Maybe in the eyes of the Divine, but certainly not in the eyes of most men. 

The Spiderman delivers as usual. One of the more rational reasoning posters. Never starts out with "hey stupid"  Lucky you had a great mother mine not so much so. My school of life lessons started early with no mother with wise words. I just did a lot of ducking and dodging. I was watching the news today and the lower castes in India are finally marching in big numbers for equality. Like India separating from England this will not come easy without pain and suffering but what else is new. You should post more often I value your opinions. 

8 hours ago, helloagain said:

Yes you are so right. Its called thainesd. Write to your embasdy and ask them to do the same when thais want a visa. 20 times as much

Many are rejected visas. No explanation given. Som nam na.

1 hour ago, ChiangraiTony said:

At some point us expats have to consider other options. We live here, we pay taxes. Taxes at the land office, shopping, gasoline, and dozens of more things we contribute to Thailands economy.

Knowing that they apparently do not respect us maybe it's time to come together and start posting this article and articles such as this on social media outlets.  The blatant rip-off news report is pretty much local but I think the FB community and others have a right to know the news too, and before they arrive in Thailand...

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts is that your post is absolutely ridiculous.

It's a waste of bloody time.

In case you haven't noticed the world doesn't care about Koh tao yet you think the social media crusade will have any effect on some foreigner getting taxed twelve bucks to enter a national park. You may get 50 likes on Facebook, if that especially since most of the Western world thinks that Expats in Thailand are lowest of the low. Nobody cares about your $12 national park fee while tens of thousands of humans get slaughtered on this planet.

Why have people been wasting time and getting worked up over this issue for decades? It just blows my mind.

Nobody cares.

It's nothing.

YOU don't even care. If you did you wouldn't put up with it. You would pack your bags.

Well, not that I went to their crappy parks anyway, but this is one more reason to never go and never recommend anyone else going either.

You can enter pristine parks in first world countries for less.

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

Wow, it is exactly the same but on a national level, Thais subsidize the parks with taxes the same as Cumbrian's subsidize with theirs, no nonsense there.

Did you conveniently  miss the bit about non local UK residents paying the same as

foreigners unlike the X 10 factor in Thailand. 

16 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Did you conveniently  miss the bit about non local UK residents paying the same as

foreigners unlike the X 10 factor in Thailand. 

There local is at a county level, here it is at a national level, it really is not difficult to grasp.

10 hours ago, impulse said:

What country is that?  It's certainly not in North America.  I've been paying discriminatory pricing to enter state parks and buy hunting and fishing licenses, and study in state universities all my life.  Same up in the Great White North where a foreign tourist can look forward to paying out the wazoo for a fishing or hunting license (which aren't required of anyone in Thailand, BTW).

Edit:  Not to mention scoring the Disney discounts based on having the correct state listed on my driver's license, and hotels that charge less because I hold an in-state drivers license.

Mostly Militarized South....... Really liked that region the weather, food and people suited me very well thank you,