RUN FLAT tires RFT, any feedback ? Pirelli, Michelin, Good year. nothing cheap, but which are good ?

abab

When you refer to Thai Roads, do you mean Bangkok city roads or rural unpaved roads? Having driven on those roads for the past 5 years, mostly city driving, I never had a tyre puncture before. The cons of Run Flat tyres simply outweigh the benefits of having one. To me, personally, the chances of having a tyre punctured by a nail on the road is just too small to spend more on run flat or pay for the higher fuel consumption. 

If getting punctured is really a concern, then I think a emergency sealing kit is more worth it. Considering run flat can only last so many kms before you eventually have to get it patched, I would take the risk. 

I don't want to have run flat tyres, i'd rather have a spare and a can of sealant. They have gotten better over the years but by the very nature of their construction, run flat tyres will ride harder. i've never had a puncture on a car in Thailand.  i would think you are just as likely to wreck the tyre in a pothole,  so if a run flat tyre suffers sidewall damage then you cannot drive on it. As you already know, they are also a lot more expensive than a normal tyre.

Edited by taichiplanet

If you buy quality tires run flat are just 1000/2000 thb more, does it make any difference when knowing that if could save your family from an accident ?

People saying that they do not make any difference just don't know what they are talking about, as often on this forum.

The best cars makes in the world only use runflats, nobody can start thinking just few seconds why ?

http://cars.axlegeeks.com/d/x/Run-.-flat-Tires

I think that anyone who has reasonable driving skills can easily recover from a blow out. Actually, I have never had a tire blow out. I have had tires come apart but never blow out. A friend of mine had run flat tires and had a puncture, That tire could not be repaired. If there were only 1,000 to 2,000 baht more I'm sure he would have replaced the one run flat. He bought a pair of good quality tires for what one replacement run flat would have cost.

On 3/7/2017 at 9:04 PM, BsBs said:

The best cars makes in the world only use runflats, nobody can start thinking just few seconds why ?

No room for a spare tire - that is why. They are expensive, ride hard, are noisy. Like low profile tires - BS covers it.

41 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I think that anyone who has reasonable driving skills can easily recover from a blow out. Actually, I have never had a tire blow out. I have had tires come apart but never blow out. A friend of mine had run flat tires and had a puncture, That tire could not be repaired. If there were only 1,000 to 2,000 baht more I'm sure he would have replaced the one run flat. He bought a pair of good quality tires for what one replacement run flat would have cost.

You are sure but wrong.

I had the choice between runflat and standard, 2000 more for Pirelli RFT than standard tires.

They can be repaired, only people who cannot think but just follow what is told to them do not know that they can be repaired.

4 hours ago, BsBs said:

You are sure but wrong.

I had the choice between runflat and standard, 2000 more for Pirelli RFT than standard tires.

They can be repaired, only people who cannot think but just follow what is told to them do not know that they can be repaired.

It's kind of like people who will drive nothing except a Mercedes. I'm quite happy with lesser brands built here in Thailand. The bottom line is that I'll spend my money as I choose and you can do the same. I have known this guy for many years and accept what he told me. Why would he lie to me? As a side note, he could buy and sell me several times. If he thought the run flat tires were that much better and safer, that's what he would buy. I have never had those "superior" tires but I trust his opinion.

9 hours ago, Gary A said:

I have never had those "superior" tires but I trust his opinion.

555 Nice one. I only buy superior tires myself - mine are round, black, and hold air. Only other variables to cause concern are NVH issues, which can be mitigated by model differences. Altho I lean toward a more premium tire for our hiway ride.

Just now, canthai55 said:

555 Nice one. I only buy superior tires myself - mine are round, black, and hold air. Only other variables to cause concern are NVH issues, which can be mitigated by model differences. Altho I lean toward a more premium tire for our hiway ride.

mine only hold nitrogen

13 hours ago, Gary A said:

It's kind of like people who will drive nothing except a Mercedes. I'm quite happy with lesser brands built here in Thailand. The bottom line is that I'll spend my money as I choose and you can do the same. I have known this guy for many years and accept what he told me. Why would he lie to me? As a side note, he could buy and sell me several times. If he thought the run flat tires were that much better and safer, that's what he would buy. I have never had those "superior" tires but I trust his opinion.

Yes we drive Merc only in Thailand, as Bentley is way too much expensive.

And yes, any people trust the opinion of other people who know nothing, when it's actually so easy to check that they are wrong.

But I know that for many people internet is only facebook and instagram. Sorry for them.

Edited by BsBs

Consumer Reports customer reviews;

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/07/deflating-reality-of-run-flat-tires/index.htm

If you were upcountry and out in the boonies, what would be the chances of finding a replacement run flat tire or especially finding a shop who could repair one?

Edited by Gary A