Phuket motorcyclist dead after high-impact crash in Sakoo

webfact

Phuket motorcyclist dead after high-impact crash in Sakoo

Eakkapop Thongtub

1488772549_1-org.jpg

Police believe the driver was riding at high speed when the accident occurred. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A motorcyclist died at the scene of an accident in Sakoo early this morning after losing control of his bike throwing his body first into an electricity pylon and then a tree.

The tree was left broken in half as a result of the impact.

At around 3am today (Feb 6), Sakoo Police were informed of an accident opposite the Canal Resort in Moo 1, Sakoo, Thalang.

Lt Col Bandasak Srilert of the Sakoo Police arrived at the scene with Kusoldharm rescue workers to find a damaged Yamaha M-Slaz motorbike lying in the road. About five metres away was the body of an unidentified male with severe facial injuries.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-motorcyclist-dead-after-high-impact-crash-in-sakoo-61265.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-03-06

RIP moron.

“We found no identification on the body and there was no crash helmet near the scene,” he said.

The man’s body was taken to Thalng Hospital.

Lt Col Bandasak added, “We believe the man was driving at high speed when he hit the central reservation and lost control. His body was sent flying into an electricity pylon and then a tree. The tree broke in half as a result of the impact.

Thailand being one of (if not the worst) country in the world for road traffic accidents, phuket exceeds that by quite a margin, the whole Island is a serious black spot for RTA's, time for the authorities to enforce a strict island wide speed limit of 30kmph, they do the same thing in the USA on coastal islands and resort communities enforcing 15-25mph speed limits

something has got to be done to combat the carnage on the roads there

16 minutes ago, smedly said:

enforce a strict island wide speed limit of 30kmph

What a nonsense. Enforce the law as it is, make sure all drivers get a proper training before getting their driving license. And ban the motorbike rentals which are greedy enough to rent out bikes to people who have never been driving a scooter or motorbike before in their lives. A speed limit like you propose makes life even more dangerous on the roads, just look at the Chinese tourists driving at a speed of about 2 km/h above falling over.

34 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

What a nonsense. Enforce the law as it is, make sure all drivers get a proper training before getting their driving license. And ban the motorbike rentals which are greedy enough to rent out bikes to people who have never been driving a scooter or motorbike before in their lives. A speed limit like you propose makes life even more dangerous on the roads, just look at the Chinese tourists driving at a speed of about 2 km/h above falling over.

it is not nonsense, the very fact you said that tells me a lot about you, it is a tried and tested method in countries all over the world in built up areas, although as I have stated many times law enforcement is also key

57 minutes ago, smedly said:

Thailand being one of (if not the worst) country in the world for road traffic accidents, phuket exceeds that by quite a margin, the whole Island is a serious black spot for RTA's, time for the authorities to enforce a strict island wide speed limit of 30kmph, they do the same thing in the USA on coastal islands and resort communities enforcing 15-25mph speed limits

just for your pleasure I will quote the whole post for you to read again

6 hours ago, smedly said:

Phuket's accident statistics are misleading. The official registered Thai population was 360,905 people at the end of 2012. But when you add unregistered Thais, Burmese workers, expats and of course holidaymakers, the number of people in Phuket routinely exceeds 1 million.

Let's be conservative and say that there are only an average of 720,000 people living in Phuket at any given time. That changes the road deaths from 70 per 100,000 every year to 35 per 100,000. The average in Thailand is 36.2.

I personally think that the 36.2 per 100,000 figure is appalling, and I agree that something should be done in Thailand as a whole -  proper enforcement of existing laws would make a big difference overnight.

But I don't agree that this problem is specific to Phuket - Phuket just has a larger transient population than any other province, leading to inaccurate RTA statistics.

Phuket's accident statistics are misleading. The official registered Thai population was 360,905 people at the end of 2012. But when you add unregistered Thais, Burmese workers, expats and of course holidaymakers, the number of people in Phuket routinely exceeds 1 million.

Let's be conservative and say that there are only an average of 720,000 people living in Phuket at any given time. That changes the road deaths from 70 per 100,000 every year to 35 per 100,000. The average in Thailand is 36.2.

I personally think that the 36.2 per 100,000 figure is appalling, and I agree that something should be done in Thailand as a whole -  proper enforcement of existing laws would make a big difference overnight.

But I don't agree that this problem is specific to Phuket - Phuket just has a larger transient population than any other province, leading to inaccurate RTA statistics.

Agreed, except that annual road deaths on phuket are appx. 180. I would guess holiday makers are at a higher risk than natives, but don't know if the statistics support that.

sent using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Agreed, except that annual road deaths on phuket are appx. 180. I would guess holiday makers are at a higher risk than natives, but don't know if the statistics support that.

sent using Tapatalk

I think I misunderstood your post initially - you mean 180 in total, rather than 180 per 100,000?

I think I misunderstood your post initially - you mean 180 in total, rather than 180 per 100,000?

Yes, annual road deaths on phuket are approximately 180 per year.

sent using Tapatalk

Yes, annual road deaths on phuket are approximately 180 per year.

sent using Tapatalk

I must correct, just realised the number of 180 is old, recent numbers are lower.

sent using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, smedly said:

I'm not sure which coastal islands of the US you have in mind, but the Province of Phuket is 576 sq km. A little large to be treating it as a holiday resort with restrictive low speed limits. 

It takes 40 minutes to an hour to travel from the south to the airport as it is without asking people to toddle along at 30 kph.

The highway from the city to the bridge in the north is where most high speed crashes seem to occur. It's colloquially known by locals as the speedway. These suicide jockeys are not obeying the speed limits now, changing it to idiotic levels would only dramatically increase the number of speeders. While it would be ludicrous to impose a 30k limit on this, or any other Thai highway, there certainly needs to be some proactive effort by authorities to stop the slaughter. 

What's needed is proper driver training, enforcement of the current reasonable speed limits and a change in the national psyche.  

On 3/6/2017 at 11:21 AM, smedly said:

Whilst i agree that the carnage in Thail speed limit..and, not just Phuket is truly appaling, I had to laugh at the 30kph  or the 15-20mph speed limit.

You are surely joking?  I can do 50kph on my pushbike!!!!!

Speed limits are not observed as it is so why would anyone take notice of 30kph?

On 06/03/2017 at 1:26 PM, stevenl said:

I must correct, just realised the number of 180 is old, recent numbers are lower.

sent using Tapatalk

I should have clarified that my 70 road deaths per 100,000 population came from this source:

http://www.thephuketnews.com/it-official-phuket-worst-in-thailand-for-road-accidents-53869.php

I have no idea how accurate that statistic is, but if annual road deaths in Phuket totalled 140 (for example), it would imply that the population of Phuket is 200,000, which is clearly wrong.

I should have clarified that my 70 road deaths per 100,000 population came from this source:

http://www.thephuketnews.com/it-official-phuket-worst-in-thailand-for-road-accidents-53869.php

I have no idea how accurate that statistic is, but if annual road deaths in Phuket totalled 140 (for example), it would imply that the population of Phuket is 200,000, which is clearly wrong.

IMO for a place like Phuket, looking at numbers compared to population makes no sense.

sent using Tapatalk

Just now, stevenl said:

IMO for a place like Phuket, looking at numbers compared to population makes no sense.

sent using Tapatalk

Good point.

They say that 73.6% of statistics are made up, although Thai statistics are probably not that reliable ...