Phuket court fines Russian tourist B1k for feeding fish, woman faces immigration next

webfact

4 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

I'm surprised she didn't scare the fish away.  As we say where I come from "could scare a hungry dog out of a Butcher shop"

She did not get to Prison. She was held in a Police lock up.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

No need to tell me. In the previous thread many people were commenting on the 100 k fine, and many were also claiming the fine would end up being 100k.

They were all wrong.

And many others were saying that 100k bail request and consequently 2 nights in jail was absurd. Considering the offence was ' not serious ' , those posters were absolutely correct.

On 3/7/2017 at 5:26 PM, gdgbb said:

Funny how now that the woman has been fined the minimum amount, those who were initially screaming indignantly about her being fined B100,000 or having the potential to be fined that amount (even though anyone with any sense could see that that would not happen) are still desperately trying to knock the police and the system.  Not one of them is taking back there daft initial assertions.

DAFT she was kept in a prison cell, DAFT she was asked to pay 100k bail for what, a  1000 baht fine.........heres an idea for the simple amongst us, how about an on the spot 1000 baht fine????????? nah too difficult eh

The system is <deleted> if  you cant see it then it speaks  volumes

31 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Funny how now that the woman has been fined the minimum amount, those who were initially screaming indignantly about her being fined B100,000 or having the potential to be fined that amount (even though anyone with any sense could see that that would not happen) are still desperately trying to knock the police and the system.  Not one of them is taking back there daft initial assertions.

Yes a lot of posters seemed confused , understandable as the bail request was ludicrous. I maintain it was a proposed shake down , would you disagree ?

I hope this story gets into larger international press and this place gets SHAMED for such ludicrous jackboot activity.

SHAMED SHAMED SHAMED.

Absolutely SICKENING.

It has turned a point that the rule enforcement is just getting out of control here.

Edited by freedomnow

53 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Ah.... wrong... see my post at 38

Ah keep on doing what you are doing here please, so funny to sit back and watch idiots kill their own country, TAT will have to work hard on the spin this year as tourists will not be on those planes, lets wait and see, I hear Vietnam is booming now

And many others were saying that 100k bail request and consequently 2 nights in jail was absurd. Considering the offence was ' not serious ' , those posters were absolutely correct.

Yes, they were, as I agree with. But that has nothing to do with my post.

sent using Tapatalk

Yes a lot of posters seemed confused , understandable as the bail request was ludicrous. I maintain it was a proposed shake down , would you disagree ?

I disagree.

sent using Tapatalk

On 3/7/2017 at 5:56 PM, kannot said:
DAFT she was kept in a prison cell, DAFT she was asked to pay 100k bail for what, a  1000 baht fine.........heres an idea for the simple amongst us, how about an on the spot 1000 baht fine????????? nah too difficult eh

So you want the police given the power to determine fines for criminal offenses. Does not sound good to me.

sent using Tapatalk

I think this was a potential payday for the authorities that went wrong. My guess the bail would have been the handout to make the charge go away. However the pesky news and social media got involved and ruined the party. Now Thailand has egg on its face again.

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I disagree.

sent using Tapatalk

Well you have agreed that 100k bail was absurd so what do you think the motivation was for setting such a high rate. Im not being argumentative , just curious , if not angling for a bribe then what ?

Edited by joecoolfrog
spelling

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Well you have agreed that 100k bail was absurd so what do you think the motivation was for setting such a high rate. Im not being argumentative , just curious , if not angling for a bribe then what ?

When people spend too long in la la land the absurdity starts to become normal and even those from educated backgrounds forget all logic and reasoning and defend, what to them, is now normal

Edited by Reigntax

3 hours ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

I'm surprised she didn't scare the fish away.  As we say where I come from "could scare a hungry dog out of a Butcher shop"

She could have her wicked way with me anytime she wants, I have got a paper bag for my head

4 hours ago, gdgbb said:

What is "funny" is that you seem to think that setting a 100000K bail and serving two nights in jail was the appropraiate course of action for a 53 year old woman who was a visitor to this country and probaly unaware of the exact regulations regarding feeding the fish in that particular area.  

Not too surprising though that you side with the authorities here as you seem to do so on practically every subject, no matter how ridiculous their actions appear to be to virtually everyone else.. 

What is "funny" is that you seem to think that setting a 100000K bail and serving two nights in jail was the appropraiate course of action for a 53 year old woman who was a visitor to this country and probaly unaware of the exact regulations regarding feeding the fish in that particular area.  

Not too surprising though that you side with the authorities here as you seem to do so on practically every subject, no matter how ridiculous their actions appear to be to virtually everyone else.. 

Please show us where he said that was the appropriate course of action.
Your us against them mentality will lead to an unpleasant time here.

sent using Tapatalk

anybody defending the actions taken by the authorities against a tourist needs to have a stern word with themselves. it has been repeatedly said by those same authorities that this was not a serious matter so why the 100,000 baht bail and then two nights in jail when they already have her passport. if it sounds like the actions of  a banana republic there might be a reason for that.

On 3/7/2017 at 5:56 PM, kannot said:

Yes, daft.  The initial assertions of the ranting posters I am referring to were that the woman had been, or was going to be, fined B100,000.  If you can't see that that was unlikely in the extreme then that speaks volumes!

18 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

I've no idea whether it was a shakedown, Joe, but I wouldn't speculate on something that didn't happen.  It certainly didn't end up being a shakedown.

I don't agree that it was understandable that some posters could have been confused.  From the outset the reports stated that she would be bailed for B100,000 and that the maximum fine was B100,000.  That would only be confusing for anyone who didn't know the difference between bail and a fine, that is not understandable!

18 hours ago, freedomnow said:

It has turned a point that the rule enforcement is just getting out of control here.

There's a change,  a Thaivisa poster complaining that laws are being enforced !   Whatever next?

Edited by gdgbb

18 hours ago, manarak said:

did you have a look at these police holding cells?

she should get 5000 USD damages.

That may be reasonable but only for someone who didn't break any laws.

18 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Ah keep on doing what you are doing here please, so funny to sit back and watch idiots kill their own country, TAT will have to work hard on the spin this year as tourists will not be on those planes, lets wait and see, I hear Vietnam is booming now

Wake up please, wakeupplease, TAT's job is a piece of cake and this one incident will have almost no effect, the planes will continue to be bursting at the seams.

19 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Surely the point is that the offence that involves potential damage to coral reefs and their surroundings is a serious offence, hence the large maximum fine? 

A lot of posters are so blinkered that they cannot see (or they just obstinately refuse to see) the reasons for that law and similar laws to be on the statute books so all they do is make banal fish-feeding comments trying unsuccessfully to mock Thailand

The arrest and bail demands were pretty ludicrous. But the fine seems reasonable. Let's hope there is some publicity and tourists avoid feeding the fish. The tour/boat operator should also be held responsible and have to pay a fine.

18 hours ago, Sakeopete said:

I think this was a potential payday for the authorities that went wrong. My guess the bail would have been the handout to make the charge go away. However the pesky news and social media got involved and ruined the party. Now Thailand has egg on its face again.

No, Thailand does not "have egg on it's face again", the one's with egg on their faces are the ranters complaining about the "B100,000 fine for feeding fish" that never happened when the guilty woman who transgressed a law designed to protect coral reefs and their surroundings was only fined B1,000.