Government in talks over submarine deal with selling country

snoop1130

Government in talks over submarine deal with selling country

By The Nation

3ae775fa58e904c51054b259aaba419a.jpeg

Concerned government agencies are now in negotiations with the country Thailand wishes to purchase a submarine from, Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan said on Tuesday.

It would be in a form of a government-to-government deal, he added, without naming the selling country.

Prawit also reconfirmed approval of the budget to purchase the submarine by the National Legislative Assembly. It had considered the budget bill, under which the matter was placed, and approved it in last September.

Full Story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30308229

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-3-7

Why-oh-why cannot the country where these (useless) submarines are being purchased from be mentioned, I think it is China? I forgot Thailand does not understand the word transparency.

I also think there is a mistake in the article (lazy journalists) substitute the word ‘negotiation’ with ‘dictate’.

9 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I'm sure that I read somewhere before that it is indeed China.

I thank you for your comments; but on reflection I think we both may be wrong. I think the submarines are coming from Lesotho, which needs submarines as much as Thailand.

We should be told.....?

This is news from exactly one month ago.....

"Thailand has confirmed a budget of $380 million to procure the first of three S26T submarines from China, Thai officials said on Wednesday"

22 minutes ago, ikke said:

This is news from exactly one month ago.....

"Thailand has confirmed a budget of $380 million to procure the first of three S26T submarines from China, Thai officials said on Wednesday"

While the United States Navy is runner up on this list of the 10 largest submarine fleets in the world, it is arguably the most capable. While most of the countries on this list have fleets that are largely diesel-electric, the entire fleet of the US Navy is nuclear powered. The US has a large number of Los Angeles class attack submarine. In fact, around 40 of these are currently in service. Largely built between the 1970s and 1990s, these submarines cost some $1 billion each. The USA has already begun to replace these with newer submarines in the form of the Virginia Class which come with a whopping $2.7 billion price tag.

380 million . And 100 million a year to maintain. If a motorbike costs 50,000 and a police man makes 600bht a day they could have all majore locations  fully patroled and enforcing the road law for how many years?

Im not going to do the math cause thailand sure is not.

Think of how many lifes could be saved  from road death every year. For 1 sub.

I cant help but think petticoate junction .

Thats how i see this sub .

It was a us early 70s sitcom about a submarine based on nurses being transfered to war zones  .

A bit like gilligans island humor with ginger and marryann

And a bit like hogans heroes.

What a laugh.

41 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

380 million . And 100 million a year to maintain. If a motorbike costs 50,000 and a police man makes 600bht a day they could have all majore locations  fully patroled and enforcing the road law for how many years?

It was a us early 70s sitcom about a submarine based on nurses being transfered to war zones  .

What a laugh.

I think Petticoat Junction was a sitcom about a railroad junction which had the advantage of 3 beautiful young women who used to bathe in the water tower the train used. Just I do get the jist of your post anyway.

Setting aside whether the subs are needed for a moment...

I am no expert but I believe subs need a very very high level of ongoing

maintenance to stay in good working order...

If the maintenance on these subs is like other projects I have seen

then then about the only place they will be patrolling is dry-dock...

11 hours ago, quadperfect said:

What a laugh.

The  navy will also be building 3 dockyards (1 Andaman Sea & 2 Gulf of Thailand), costs never disclosed. For training the navy will also need a submarine simulator facility. It currently has one but decades old and surely outdated. New facility never disclosed. So potentially billions baht added to sub purchase. ZERO transparency.

Great Idea! Buy a submarine from China.. Wait a few months say the equipment are not acceptable need a overhaul, call for a tender to refit the submarine by a western vendor! 

Woola, 2 times budget! 

The Prayut transparency shines again, the last one was the high speed train flop with China,  there is no accountability on a government to government  agreement with Prayut , it is not for anyone to question or wonder where the finance for the project comes from, just make it happen and then watch as it slowly unravel ......................................................:cheesy:

Of course they need a submarine. They have had a submarine branch for donkeys years, along with admirals, a variety of other chaps splattered with gold braid and medals, and no doubt a full complement of matelots to tend to them. They have a simulator, a training school and a base - of course they need a submarine...

Otherwise all that investment, all that training, experience and medals would have been wasted.

12 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

While the United States Navy is runner up on this list of the 10 largest submarine fleets in the world, it is arguably the most capable. While most of the countries on this list have fleets that are largely diesel-electric, the entire fleet of the US Navy is nuclear powered. The US has a large number of Los Angeles class attack submarine. In fact, around 40 of these are currently in service. Largely built between the 1970s and 1990s, these submarines cost some $1 billion each. The USA has already begun to replace these with newer submarines in the form of the Virginia Class which come with a whopping $2.7 billion price tag.

The consensus is that if China ever tried it on with Taiwan the OZ sub Collins class would be used to sit and watch in the straight between China and Taiwan because of what you've just mentioned,  the cost and also the U S nuke subs are to large for that scenario, they'd sit further out in deeper water. You are also talking about massive experience , inventiveness and infrastructure on a grand scale ,  that even Russia or China have trouble matching , China in particular are , in quite  a few critical area's twenty years behind the US, but catching up fast, nice talking to U BigBadGordie. 

Edited by chainarong

When and if the government go ahead with this folly, they can allow the public to tour the idle subs.

Thai 20 baht farang 400 baht. Plenty of money then for maintenance      :cheesy:

Oops my mistake, i said maintenance they  dont understand the meaning.,

2 hours ago, tompelli said:

Scarier still was the news last week of the navy re-commissioning an existing Thai submarine. Didn't know they had One, how old is it anybody?

Won't be much used, have to go half way to Singapore before water is deep enough to 'Dive, Dive"

6 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Yep and I expect due process of setting up a few more offshore accounts is also being addressed as we speak (or write).

Quite possible.

The country does not need any subs, surface ships would be far more useful with the illegal fishing and all. 

The gulf of Thailand is relatively shallow.  With an average depth of  58 mtrs and a max of 85 mtrs then when at  max safe submergence depth anybody who wishes can almost visibly spot them from the air which means the use of a submarine is pointless. Also given the Thais totally disregard to maintain anything I wonder how long it will be before they are moored along side that other white elephant they bought, the aircraft carrier with no aircraft ?

Edited by whatawonderfulday