Pool deck. Varnishing or oiling

ST11

I wonder if you meant to spell it "mai daeng".  (Red wood which is not the American red wood but the very hard wood commonly used for construction here.)

I would go with a preservative followed with an oil based stain.

Seems like whoever built it would have suggestion?

We have some mai daeng fencing (we don't have a deck) which gets a sanding every year or so and a new coat of Chaindrite wood-stain.

Whatever you do the sun will kill it double quick, even the super-duper UV resistant stuff :(

I have been using Beger Superdeck on mine.

the tin claims its enhanced properties make it suitable for staining the deck of my yacht....if I had one.

mine isnt likely to get more than drizzle and splashes i hope but it doesn matter how good the stain is its not going to stop water running between the boards.

this product comes as a clear, high gloss or semi gloss and costs 800bt for 5 litre so its a great price.

I concur that the sun will do more damage to the coating than the wood itself and thats why i would never use a poly-eur type coating as it will be peeling off in days and looking worse than not having anything applied.

I like the linseed oil method, which is a case of feeding the wood rather than coating it...brushed or oily rag?

I was looking at re coating some outdoor teak furniture recently, quite a few of the articles I read up stated that it was better to leave the wood untreated, that way the natural oils in the wood were not damaged by the coating!

I didn't take much convincing, the furniture is now au-natural! doesn't look great but suits my work ethic!

I'm not sure how well mai daeng will take oil, it's very tight grained and dense. Perhaps the experts can assist.

Teak however, does take oil well, our teak barge-boards were oiled when they were made, now after 5 years and zero maintenance they have gone a bit grey but still look pretty good, but obviously they don't get walked on. Maybe next winter I'll get the man in to re-do them.

The teak window frames which were done with a high quality polyurethane have been re-done twice in the same period. Only the ones on the east side of the house which get the rising sun have taken a beating, the other 3 sides which are shaded by trees or the roof overhang have fared much better.

16640554_1828963387433597_3441725537622171694_n.jpg

If you've not got the materials yet, do look at the composite (ok plastic) boarding, it's supposedly UV stable and looks pretty like wood. I'm still debating whether to use the composite as the bench tops of our picnic set, much depends upon just how much decent hardwood is left in the pile that was the chicken house.

On 3/8/2017 at 10:20 PM, CGW said:

I was looking at re coating some outdoor teak furniture recently, quite a few of the articles I read up stated that it was better to leave the wood untreated, that way the natural oils in the wood were not damaged by the coating!

I didn't take much convincing, the furniture is now au-natural! doesn't look great but suits my work ethic!

The problem with "au-natural" is, every time you spill a beer (or other Thai beverage) on it, the timber soaks it up.

Best to saturate it with a protective oil (or barrier) first, but..

up to you..

On 3/9/2017 at 7:17 AM, Crossy said:

I'm not sure how well mai daeng will take oil, it's very tight grained and dense. Perhaps the experts can assist.

I have a nice Mai Daeng front door.  As you already said, we too do a light sanding on it and re-oil it every year.

We use Berger teak oil, and delude it with Berger thinner. Applying 3 coats, letting each dry before doing the next

one, seems to do the job quite well. Applying the oil as is, will leave a greasy coat for at least a months. The

deluded oil appears to be soaked up quite well, and it's natural color comes back (to a point).

rudi

On 09/03/2017 at 7:17 AM, Crossy said:

Teak however, does take oil well, our teak barge-boards were oiled when they were made, now after 5 years and zero maintenance they have gone a bit grey but still look pretty good, but obviously they don't get walked on. Maybe next winter I'll get the man in to re-do them.

The teak window frames which were done with a high quality polyurethane have been re-done twice in the same period. Only the ones on the east side of the house which get the rising sun have taken a beating, the other 3 sides which are shaded by trees or the roof overhang have fared much better.

16640554_1828963387433597_3441725537622171694_n.jpg

If you've not got the materials yet, do look at the composite (ok plastic) boarding, it's supposedly UV stable and looks pretty like wood. I'm still debating whether to use the composite as the bench tops of our picnic set, much depends upon just how much decent hardwood is left in the pile that was the chicken house.

Whaaat!

You've knocked down the chicken palace??? Why?

On 10/03/2017 at 8:33 PM, grollies said:

Whaaat!

You've knocked down the chicken palace??? Why?

The chooks have a new and larger palace, now steel framed with rendered block walls. It's better than many of the houses in the village and there's a new larger pond for the geese.

The place where the old palace resided is now having a 'barn' built to house the mower and other gardening / building kit.