Supplements stopped by customs, anything I can do?

paul1970

Ordered $90 worth of ALA from Swanson in the US and found delivery was slow so called DHL to be told that I need some kind of import licence/permit and until I can produce one then I will not receive my goods.

Never had this problem before as I have ordered vitamins and meds from outside Thailand previously.  I'm not a doctor so there is probably no chance of getting an import licence so do I have to write these off or is there any other avenues I can explore ?

I was a bit wary this time as I saw Iherb had put up something on their website about having difficulties in shipping things to Thailand, service from DHL was abysmal BTW, they didn't contact me to tell me there was a problem with my shipment so I had to get in touch with them and one of their staff even told me that next time I should just order one bottle at a time. I'd be paying more for shipping than I would the product.

I do despair of moving to this country at times:sad:

You should have just had them sent by EMS, there's always a problem

with fees etc, when you use a courier service.

Looks like you will either have to send the package back,and hope

you get some credit,or just take the hit on it,and be lucky that customs

or DHL don't try to charge you storage charges Etc.

regards Worgeordie

Yes, this is inevitable when using a courier, and there is nothing you can do as technically you do need an FDA import license to bring in any sort of pharmaceutical or supplement.

Sent by regular mail, customs usually will let in small quantities .

This happened to me using postal service. I ordered more than 30 days worth of fish oil. I had to spend most of a day at the Customs  in Chang wattana  to get then. I had to pay extra fees and was warned not to do it again. I now only buy local.

1 hour ago, pmarlin said:

This happened to me using postal service. I ordered more than 30 days worth of fish oil. I had to spend most of a day at the Customs  in Chang wattana  to get then. I had to pay extra fees and was warned not to do it again. I now only buy local.

This is an option if you are prepared to put in a lot of time - tell DHL you will handle the clearance yourself, get the necessary documents with reference number from them and go to customs yourself. 

While you do technically need an FDA license (which you cannot get), this requirement is aimed at people importing for sale.  It is likely  - though not certain - - that if you appear in person, and explain it is for personal use, they'll allow it.

Make sure you find out from DHL what customs office it is at, as there ism ore than one.

• 1 month later...

Try to source your products in Thailand to avoid these issues. For example electrolytes, sports supplements, etc are available at http://vitalthai.com with free shipping. DHL is a bit of a headache and iherb has had problems with them (so have I). If you need anything in the sports niche, let me know as I'm quite familiar with that... maybe can refer. Also anything vegan/vegetarian/general health oriented. http://healthfoodthailand.com for example is another great online store for nuts, seeds, superfoods, detox, organic, etc.

Archived