New Windows 10 install repeatedly crashing & freezing

davejonesbkk

I have a new copy of Windows 10 on a usb and went to install it today, I formatted the C drive at the same time, it got to a point where it said 'checking devices 63%' and then froze. I left it for a while but it became obvious it had crashed. Tried again and had same problem but at a different point. Third time it got to 100% but then froze a bit later.

After multiple attempts I managed to get through to a screen where it asked for my Wifi network pw so it could continue but crashed as soon as I moved the mouse, 3 more attempts at that and managed to get the pw inputted and then it crashed on the next screen.

Something is obviously wrong here, could this be due to there being no drivers installed for key components like the motherboard etc as the C drive was formatted the first time?

Yes official Ms Windows 10 Usb installer bought from Banana IT. Just done about 8 attempts getting to different parts each time it crashed. Someone else suggested either the usb is faulty or the Hd Im installing to is. For the latter its a 3 year old ssd that I also formatted but never had any problems with before. I actually have a new ssd here too so now ive installed that and trying to install there.

Just some thoughts, maybe you lost the SSD drivers in the process.....

Boot your system via your IT Banana stick

Load the drivers for your SSD drive

Delete old partition to be used for Windows 10

Create new partition to be used for Windows 10

Format SSD

Install Windows 10

if within 15-20 min. above job is not done, either SSD or USB are kaputt

KittenKong is correct, took it to the shop along with my pc and they could install it just fine on their machine so they then started testing all my ram etc. I have 4x4gb and it seems that the pc would crash on windows 10 boot with anything more than 2 of the ram sticks in, they then found that it would sometimes crash with the network card in. So after much testing it now works fine but with only half its ram in and no network card.

What could cause this? It was fine 2 days ago...

7 minutes ago, davejonesbkk said:

What could cause this?

If the machine only crashed when one particular RAM stick was in then that stick would obviously be suspect, but from what you say that isnt the case. The network card issue is unusual.

But running an old BIOS could potentially cause both problems. You should definitely check for BIOS updates and reset the BIOS to the default settings.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

If the machine only crashed when one particular RAM stick was in then that stick would obviously be suspect, but from what you say that isnt the case. The network card issue is unusual.

But running an old BIOS could potentially cause both problems. You should definitely check for BIOS updates and reset the BIOS to the default settings.

ok, how do I know there is an issue with the BIOS? Its not something Ive done before and sounds a bit scary...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/187437/software/how-to-update-your-bios.html

I've just downloaded and run Speccy which has analysed everything and these are my BIOS details:

BIOS
Brand    American Megatrends Inc.
Version    F6
Date    31/05/2012

not sure what that all means though.

Also it seems that my DVD drive cannot be found on my PC know even in device settings and when I click the eject button nothing happens. 

Everything else seems to be working properly now though and updated.

3 minutes ago, davejonesbkk said:

ok, how do I know there is an issue with the BIOS?

Upgrade it anyway. If it's an older model computer it'll probably have upgrades available, usually a fairly easy task. Google your computer make and model and how to upgrade the bios. Then try your win 10 install again.

52 minutes ago, davejonesbkk said:

Also it seems that my DVD drive cannot be found on my PC know even in device settings and when I click the eject button nothing happens. 

That also could be a BIOS problem. As mentioned, visit the PC manufacturer's website (assuming a branded PC) or motherboard manufacturer's website for BIOS updates and how to apply them. Then reset the BIOS to the defaults.

54 minutes ago, davejonesbkk said:

Everything else seems to be working properly now though and updated.

Including all 4 RAM sticks and the network card?

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

That also could be a BIOS problem. As mentioned, visit the PC manufacturer's website (assuming a branded PC) or motherboard manufacturer's website for BIOS updates and how to apply them. Then reset the BIOS to the defaults.

Including all 4 RAM sticks and the network card?

No, I mean its working now with just 2 ram sticks in and no network card (using a new usb one instead), all other devices etc are fine though and updated with latest drivers.

I will look at doing the BIOS sometime next week, Im pretty nervous about doing that tbh!

Don't rule out power supply issues.

I find it hard to relate the memory stick and network card issue otherwise.

A marginal power supply typically causes such behaviour: remove some RAM, a controller and the PC becomes stable again.

If it's a standard case, I would try with a new power supply. They're easy to replace and cheap. If it's a brand PC (Dell or such) then they usually have their own models of power supplies and that makes it more difficult.

Can't you try with a regular Windows DVD instead of the USB drive installer too? this would rule out problems in this area. Win10 DVDs still are freely downloadable AFAIK.

Edited by Lannig

3 hours ago, Lannig said:

Don't rule out power supply issues.

I find it hard to relate the memory stick and network card issue otherwise.

A marginal power supply typically causes such behaviour: remove some RAM, a controller and the PC becomes stable again.

If it's a standard case, I would try with a new power supply. They're easy to replace and cheap. If it's a brand PC (Dell or such) then they usually have their own models of power supplies and that makes it more difficult.

Can't you try with a regular Windows DVD instead of the USB drive installer too? this would rule out problems in this area. Win10 DVDs still are freely downloadable AFAIK.

The optical drive doesn't show up at all now and nothing happens when I press the eject button so I can't do much there.

I will look at a new power supply next week possibly after some more testing and maybe updating/restting the BIOS.

I should add that the pc had been considerably noisy recently and I hadn't figure out why.

7 minutes ago, davejonesbkk said:

I should add that the pc had been considerably noisy recently and I hadn't figure out why.

Hmm... check all the fans. The one at the back of the power supply and the one on top of the processor inside. Likely culprits IMO, and overheating could cause what you're seeing too.

10 hours ago, davejonesbkk said:

The optical drive doesn't show up at all now and nothing happens when I press the eject button so I can't do much there.

If the drive does not eject when you push the button then either the drive is broken or there is no power getting to the drive. So maybe your power supply is faulty, as suggested. Or maybe one of the leads fell out when people were fiddling with the RAM and network card.

15 hours ago, davejonesbkk said:

That would be a mechanical noise....only thing mechanical on your computer to constantly be making a noise is a fan...like power supply fan, CPU fan, some kind of fan.   If the fan is making noise its bearings are worn out, its really dirty, or something is hitting the fan blades.  Now the fan runs off power supply provided voltage but even if the power supply was defective, like putting out low voltage, that would just make the fan(s) turn slower, make them less noisy.

Now if you mean noisy as in the fans running at high RPM all the time, that's normally caused by the computer getting hot.  Things like dirty fans, restricted air flow,  components overheating, etc., among other things can cause the fans to run at high RPM as the fans try to cool things down.  

Now if  you have standard hard drive (i.e., non-SSD) and/or CD/DVD Drive, they will make an occasional noise like a click as their read/write head moves around....that's normal.

Edited by Pib

On 3/13/2017 at 7:29 AM, KittenKong said:

If the drive does not eject when you push the button then either the drive is broken or there is no power getting to the drive. So maybe your power supply is faulty, as suggested. Or maybe one of the leads fell out when people were fiddling with the RAM and network card.

They were unplugged, plugged them both in and still nothing

Im going to do the BIOS thing this weekend most likely, anything I need to know?

11 hours ago, davejonesbkk said:

They were unplugged, plugged them both in and still nothing

If the power lead to the optical drive is inserted correctly then the drive should eject when you push the button even if Windows cant see it. If it doesnt eject then there must be something wrong with the drive or the power supply/connections. Once the eject function is working and both leads are connected then you may need to go into the BIOS and make it auto-detect the drive, though generally that would be automatic. After that Windows should see it.

11 hours ago, davejonesbkk said:

Im going to do the BIOS thing this weekend most likely, anything I need to know?

Just follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. Do not follow information on sites other than that of the motherboard or PC manufacturer, and never install BIOS files obtained elsewhere than from the manufacturer's website. Most manufacturers support BIOS flashing from within Windows and it is normally simple and reliable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2017 at 4:44 AM, KittenKong said:

If the power lead to the optical drive is inserted correctly then the drive should eject when you push the button even if Windows cant see it. If it doesnt eject then there must be something wrong with the drive or the power supply/connections. Once the eject function is working and both leads are connected then you may need to go into the BIOS and make it auto-detect the drive, though generally that would be automatic. After that Windows should see it.

Just follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. Do not follow information on sites other than that of the motherboard or PC manufacturer, and never install BIOS files obtained elsewhere than from the manufacturer's website. Most manufacturers support BIOS flashing from within Windows and it is normally simple and reliable.

I updated the BIOS about 10 days ago, had to do a new install of Windows 10 after which I did and then tried again with all 4 ram sticks in and had the same problems again. 

When I tried to put a stick in the 1st slot the pc would try to start but then fail and then try again a few more times, almost like an old car where the engine wont start I suppose. Next I tried the 3rd slot which had been problematic before, this time as soon as I tried to switch it on I got the ram alarm beeping so obviously something very wrong there. I tried two different sticks in both these slots with the exact same problems so this leads me to think that its not the ram that is the issue.

So decided to just use the PC with two sticks, 8GB is plenty really anyway. All good for the last 10 days and then today switch it on and no sound at all, went to a MS Windows troubleshooting page and downloaded some program they had for testing, it says no device plugged in but it is, re-installed all drivers and software for the sound card (that crashed a couple of times though) and still the same.

At this point would it be safe to say that my motherboard has an issue? I cant think what else it could be.

I have just found this thread.

I am sure I read somewhere on the Internet that some users who have tried to update to the latest Windows 10 have had problems and their computers have crashed.

Try searching Google

Can't you just buy another USB drive, copy all data on it and try it again?

Are you really sure that your DVD player is properly connected? Check if power is coming to the connector.

Is DATA also connected? What about all other connections?

Please check all cables from and to the motherboard, you might have a loose connection that's causing the problems. 

BTW, if the PC was already digitally signed, you don't need to insert a key, just download a W 10 setup file and let it run.

It's difficult when you don't see it, sorry. 

I don't think that your network card and two DDR memory cards got faulty at the same time. 

Clean the contacts with an eraser and try it once more. 

Something doesn't add up here. 

I've just seen that your PC got pretty noisy. Did you check if cables are in the way of a fan blade, or similar?

It's pretty easy to find out where the noise is coming from with a screwdriver. Hold it on certain parts that could make noise. 

Edited by ajarngreg

On 4/2/2017 at 11:52 AM, davejonesbkk said:

I updated the BIOS about 10 days ago, had to do a new install of Windows 10 after which I did and then tried again with all 4 ram sticks in and had the same problems again. 

When I tried to put a stick in the 1st slot the pc would try to start but then fail and then try again a few more times, almost like an old car where the engine wont start I suppose. Next I tried the 3rd slot which had been problematic before, this time as soon as I tried to switch it on I got the ram alarm beeping so obviously something very wrong there. I tried two different sticks in both these slots with the exact same problems so this leads me to think that its not the ram that is the issue.

So decided to just use the PC with two sticks, 8GB is plenty really anyway. All good for the last 10 days and then today switch it on and no sound at all, went to a MS Windows troubleshooting page and downloaded some program they had for testing, it says no device plugged in but it is, re-installed all drivers and software for the sound card (that crashed a couple of times though) and still the same.

At this point would it be safe to say that my motherboard has an issue? I cant think what else it could be.

Did you clean the contacts of your memory cards with an eraser and made sure that they're 100 % fitting in? It's sometimes a pain in the a..e.