Schengen Visa - Change of Travel Plans

Having obtained a Schengen visa for my GF, from the Dutch embassy, I now find that our travel plans have changed. The visa was issued for 12 months from 6th April 2017.

The friends we had intended to meet in Holland have changed their plans and we are now going to meet them in Prague. They will also join us in Spain where I have booked a villa.

Instead of going to Holland and Spain as indicated on the itinerary in the Schengen application, we are now going to Spain and Czech Republic (possibly a couple of nights in Belgium as well) in April/May..

Is it necessary to advise the Dutch embassy (or anyone else) of our change of plans ?

No, but if you are asked by say Polish border staff you must be able to explain why your plans changed and convince them the application was genuine at the time. You should be ok, you may not get any questions at all or (most likeky) be let through easily. But do be prepared for the chanches of an officer making things difficult by accusing you of a disguise application. 

And be prepared for the chanches that less experienced airline staff may not know that a Schengen visa gives access to the entire Schengen area or that NL does not need to be your first stop (or at all if plans genuinely changed) and gives you some hassle about allowing you to board. If they do a proper job they let you board.

Obviously you will still need to meet all the requirements. Eu/EEA family members don't really have any besides proof of ID and family relation between the foreigner and EEA national. But regular applicants will need to show accommodation, funds (financial requirements are a bit different for each member state!) Etc.

• Like 2

In an attempt to cover my backside I thought it prudent to email the Dutch embassy of my change of travel plans.

Their very helpful response was as follows:-

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your message to the Dutch embassy concerning the travel plans of your girlfriend. Please be informed that a regular Schengen visa for the Netherlands is also valid in other Schengen countries, I advise your girlfriend to have documents justifying the purpose of her stay in her possession though when travelling, as border officials may ask for it.
I trust to have informed you sufficiently and I wish you and your girlfriend a pleasant trip to Europe.

Kind regards,

xxxxxx  xxxxxx
Consular information officer

24/7 BZ Contact Center

Consular Affairs and Visa Policy Department

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of the Netherland